Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please list the good fats that you eat and recommend.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please list the good fats that you eat and recommend.

Okay, I could go through all the Primal/Paleo/ low carb books I've purchased in the last 2 months and try to dig out what good fats are but...well I'm lazy (and maybe confused).

Living for years on grains, carbs and low fats, its sort of difficult to turn that switch and know what the hell a fat is anymore.

I've started, bacon, coconut milk/cream/oil, burgers, steaks (just started trying to find the fat ones and not the lean ones) but am about stumped after this.

30-40 years of lean meats and I cant remember what the fat ones are.

Thanks in advance.

Whole eggs, steak (preferably bison), fish oil, olive oil, avocados, wild caught alaskan salmon

Comment

Also Virgin Coconut Oil, nuts, and if you can handle dairy go for full fat verson (butter, greek yogurt, etc)
      Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. You should really endeavor to avoid all industiral seed oils (soybean, corn, cottonseed, canola/rapeseed) first. Any animal fats are fine, though you may want to moderate your poultry fat intake since it's quite high in PUFA, specifically omega 6 (by all means eat the chicken skin when you DO eat chicken though). For the same reason, nut oils should be limited.

For a very thorough exploration of dietary fats, check out Kurt Harris's post here: Archevore - Archevore Blog - There is No Such Thing as a Macronutrient Part I -*Fats

Comment

if you do eat nuts, dont go overboard. they contain omega 6 and usually no omega 3 so the 3:6 ratio suffers. always include an adequate amount of fish and fish oil to get enough omega 3 in your diet.

Comment

All I eat is fish and bacon! I just added the bacon about two weeks ago. My menu is limited and I'm getting board. I've also found that my cycle thru me off my normal schedule and I ate stuff that I shouldn't have and now I seem to be not happy with what I'm eating. I'm trying desparately to get back on track. Any ideas on how to jump start it again?
            Health is Wealth!

Comment

The best are mentioned, and for me Beef, Wild Alaskan Salmon, sardines (vital choice or wild planet for BPA free cans) Lamb, eggs, milk fats if you do dairy, coconut, macadamia nuts, avocado, olive, cocoa.

I eat to a much lesser extent pork, poultry, rabbit, goat

Comment

I'm a big fan of salmon and avocado, and virgin coconut oil is probably the best thing in the entire world.

Comment

I eat: beef, fresh fish, canned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, coconut milk, macadamia nuts, butter, my fish oil supplement.

Things I eat that I'd consider sources of "okay fats" rather than "good fats": chicken, pork, almond flour, almond butter, chocolate. =]
                  "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I like guacamole but I don't know what to eat it on since we can have chips so I dont make it but I miss it and I can't take the texture of avocados.....wa thinking about making guac and maybe putting on or in my scrambled eggs?
                    Health is Wealth!

Comment

gaucamole on a hamburger patty is so yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by simpstr View Post
                        I like guacamole but I don't know what to eat it on since we can have chips so I dont make it but I miss it and I can't take the texture of avocados.....wa thinking about making guac and maybe putting on or in my scrambled eggs?
                        I chow down on guacamole with veggie pieces... putting it on eggs is also awesome. Likewise for an egg/beef scramble.
                        Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                        -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Have recently started using ghee for making curries and to me the "smoke point" seems to be better than butter. I expected it to be heavy and oily as people said "urgh" when I mentioned using it but it wasn't. It was much more pleasant than using oil.
                          I have also been using goose fat to fry eggs and would also recommend that. Again, much more palatable than oil and gives the eggs a crispiness that you don't get with oil and no slime. I've heard duck fat is equally good.

Comment

I use guacamole as a salad dressing. It's awesome on fish, too.

Comment

Part of my issue with this is that almost all thread here state "EAT MORE FATS" partly because after eating a huge percentage of carbs for years and not having any problems outwardly with it, its hard to find fats to just eat. Before I had pastas and breads and potatoes etc etc and now everything is sort of greasy food. So the transition is difficult. I'm doing the butter, eggs and scarfing down coconut everything so perhaps I may be getting enough fat, with the added burgers, bacon and steaks, although I still each chicken and pork which is not very fat. I will add the salmon.

Add to that the fact that I'd like to lose maybe a bit of belly fat but with my activity level it seems I need more carbs to burn to sustain that, so I'm still searching for the balance of losing a bit, having energy for cardio (hockey) and getting enough calories and limiting protein to some extent as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X