Shrimp and Crab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp and Crab

Are shrimp and crab acceptable as "fish" to get more Omega 3?

Acceptable? Sure. You'd have to eat a lot, compared to salmon - check out this list

Salmon (4 oz serving) 2.09 grams Omega 3
    Shrimp (4 oz serving) 0.37 grams Omega 3
    Crab Meat (3 oz serving) 0.38 grams Omega 3

Of course, salmon is really high on the list.
    carl's cave

Comment

You make a good point. I'm tired of tuna salad and about the only other fish I'll eat is shellfish. Love lobster but its pricey. I do take omega 3 fish oil gelcaps, hope that makes up for the absence of eating real fish. Thanks

Comment

All fish and seafood are great. Go for the litte guys though - less mercury. Salmon, Tuna, Halibut, Mahi Mahi, etc.

Go easy on Shark

Shrimp and crab are great. They are full of protein - a win. The fat they have is pretty much all omega 3.
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

According to Carlh's numbers above, I'd have to eat a lot of them to equal a 4 oz serving of Salmon. About the only other fish I eat is the heavily battered, deep fried "fish chunks" they serve at a local restaurant. More batter than fish. Crusty battered fried fish I might eat but we're doing low carb here and that's against the rules. I did read something about smashing up pork rinds and using them as batter. Thanks for help.

Comment

It's hard for me to eat Shrimp (not a natural shellfish eater) without the cocktail sauce (which is 12g of carbs for the ones included inside the Wal-Mart packages that is enough to last a pound).

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal Peace View Post
              It's hard for me to eat Shrimp (not a natural shellfish eater) without the cocktail sauce (which is 12g of carbs for the ones included inside the Wal-Mart packages that is enough to last a pound).
              I just melt butter in a cup and use that to dip them in. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEALS!!!!!
              RLTW

Comment

Originally posted by beaver View Post
                I just melt butter in a cup and use that to dip them in. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEALS!!!!!
                Works for me! Still, my primary reason was to eat enough at a meal so I didn't have to eat other fish. It appears shrimp doesn't have a huge amount of Omega 3.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm! I love shrimp, it's definitely in my top three favorite proteins! In fact tonight I'm making a Shrimp stirfry for supper!

I've made a more primal cocktail sauce. Horseradish, tomato paste, worchestershire and lemon. I love dipping shrimp in garlic butter, but my favorite is dipping it in hollandaise. SO GOOD!!!
                  The more I see the less I know for sure.
                  -John Lennon

Comment

shrimp with garlic scapes is amaaaazing
                    carl's cave

Comment

Shrimp and crab are both high in zinc, so if you combine them with butter, you have some blocks to boost testosterone.
                      Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

drawn butttttter.........droooooool
                        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Can I just reheat cocktail (preshelled) shrimp? Would it be best to pan cook them (in butter\coconut oil) or boil them if they are already cooked?

Comment

Originally posted by beaver View Post
                            I need to try this!
                            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I'm just going to leave this photo of aligue (also called 'taba ng talangka') right here.
                              Last edited by Doddibot; 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: forgot the 'a' on the end of 'talangka'
                              "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X