Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've fkd up!

Guys,

So on Easter Sunday I decided to have some chocolate and ice cream. As part of my 20%. Hmmm, anyway, it's now (Tuesday) two days later, and I've put on 1.1 kgs and I'm no longer in ketosis. I've been eating only protein for two days now and my Ketostix are not changing colour.

What can I do?

Calm down. Give it some time. You need to be patient. Not too sure how long you've been primal and also I've heard ketostix aren't always accurate.
    Georgette

Comment

You don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight.

If you stay low carb, you should drop back in, if such things matter to you.

The "weight gain" was most likely all water, which will disappear as you stay low carb.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Hehe thanks! Been primal since 10th April so only 16 days.

Comment

Thanks kennelmom - hopefully things will even out over the next few days.

Comment

You are not in ketosis as your body is making carbohydrates from the excess protein via gluconeogenesis.

Comment

Thanks chronyx but what do you mean by that? I used to be in ketosis before I ate the chocolate. My ketostix always changed colour.

Comment

Being in ketosis is not necessarily a good goal. As Doug McGuff outlined in his talk at T21C, it's not even a good indicator of whether you're burning predominantly fat. IMO using ketostix is a fad - and not very primal. ;-)
                MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by gregjames View Post
                  Guys,

So on Easter Sunday I decided to have some chocolate and ice cream. As part of my 20%. Hmmm, anyway, it's now (Tuesday) two days later, and I've put on 1.1 kgs and I'm no longer in ketosis. I've been eating only protein for two days now and my Ketostix are not changing colour.

What can I do?
                  Welcome to the life of a woman with PMS! (just kidding)

You'll get over it. Quit cheating and go back to eating the way you should be
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

You have permanently destroyed your bodies ability to enter ketosis. You only ever get one chance to enter kesosis and if you screw it up, it's over. It kind of works like the immune system... as soon as you ruin your first shot at it the body develops a very specific set of hormones that it produces in order to tell the body "NO!"

The only way to get back into ketosis is to do what is commonly known as the "Dune" test. Next time your ketostix comes back negative, take just a bit of your pee and put it on the tip of your finger. Taste it and if it somewhat sweet tasting it means your body is still producing carbohydrates. If it tastes salty, it means your body is starting to filter all the chocolate ice cream out.

Once your pee tastes salty immediately start gorging on bacon or other low carb foods, and if you are lucky you can convince your body to stop producing that hormone.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

edit: I am not a doctor

Comment

Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                        You have permanently destroyed your bodies ability to enter ketosis. You only ever get one chance to enter kesosis and if you screw it up, it's over. It kind of works like the immune system... as soon as you ruin your first shot at it the body develops a very specific set of hormones that it produces in order to tell the body "NO!"

The only way to get back into ketosis is to do what is commonly known as the "Dune" test. Next time your ketostix comes back negative, take just a bit of your pee and put it on the tip of your finger. Taste it and if it somewhat sweet tasting it means your body is still producing carbohydrates. If it tastes salty, it means your body is starting to filter all the chocolate ice cream out.

Once your pee tastes salty immediately start gorging on bacon or other low carb foods, and if you are lucky you can convince your body to stop producing that hormone.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

edit: I am not a doctor
                        LOL - no really, I did LOL
                        Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Dear gregjames,

When you make going primal your lifestyle, the occasional mess up is not a big deal. Don't beat yourself up about it or overeact. Just embrace that you decided to eat non-primal foods and get back to doing what you regularly do. After a few days you'll typcially be back to where you were and just go from there.

When I was on the Atkins kick I stressed over whether or not I was in ketosis for a while, then decided it was kinda silly and just stuck to the principles. On primal, I may or may not be in ketosis.. it doesn't really concern me. I enjoy vegetables so I do not limit how many I eat. If that means no ketosis, fine. If it means I am in ketosis because I am avoiding fruits and sugars, fine.

Good luck and stick with it.

Hoping your pee tastes salty,
                          Kvalhion
                          5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
                          Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
                          Weight: 259
                          Total Cholesterol: 243
                          LDL: 188
                          HDL: 40
                          Trig: 96

2-18-11
                          Weight: 228
                          Total Cholesterol: 239
                          LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
                          HDL: 46
                          Trig: 49

6-23-11
                          Weight: 197.2
                          Total Cholesterol: 225
                          LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
                          HDL: 56
                          Trig: 38

Comment

If you're tasting your own urine, it's not going to hurt you. It's sterile to do so. Just stay away from other peoples urine.
                            Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                              You are not in ketosis as your body is making carbohydrates from the excess protein via gluconeogenesis.
                              ...errrr no.

Your liver will only produce glucose from amino acids through the process of gluconeogenesis (GNG) on a needs only basis. If there is no tissue that needs glucose GNG output will be very small (never zero).

"Excess" proteins are not broken down through GNG but through deamination. Which produces mostly ketone like bodies and some molecules that could be turned to glucose.
                              Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Working...
                              X