Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving up on coconut oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giving up on coconut oil

    I love the taste of coconut oil, but I think I'm going to have to give up on it: it seems to make my rosacea so much worse! I've been using it since late January, and initially it caused a huge outbreak of tiny bumps around my rosacea places. My rosacea had been better for about a year, so this was puzzling. I cut back on the coconut oil, and my rosacea got better. Then I gradually worked back up to 4 teaspoons a day, at which point my rosacea got worse again!

    Three months seems like a long time to wait for the so-called "die off" caused by coconut oil to stop. I give up. Maybe Northern Europeans are just not adapted to this food, which is not traditionally part of our diet.

  • #2
    Try coconut milk instead.
    Started 3/10/2010 263.2 lbs

    04/24/2010 227.00 lbs

    Didn't know eating healthy could make me so sick, you dont realize how sick you are until you feel better. My little jack russel who is a chronic shedder is now cured by a healthy diet. Monsanto is pure evil i for one will not buy roundup or any other monsanto products.


    Strenth of the bear, speed of the puma, and endurance of a clydesdale.


    www.facebook.com/onelapcamaro

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, good thing that you've isolated the problem. I'll be curious to know if you're giving up on coconut all together, or just the oil.

      I'm just starting to incorporate coconut to my diet in a more deliberate way. I love Thai curries, so I think I'll take to it.

      Maybe Northern Europeans are just not adapted to this food, which is not traditionally part of our diet.
      Yeah, I have E. European heritage, and I doubt my ancestors ever encountered a coconut, but hopefully I won't have any adverse reactions.

      Comment


      • #4
        I bet the coconut oil is actually not the problem. I bet anti fungal nature of coconut oil is killing the yeast in your gut and the rosacea is just the dead fungus releasing mycotoxins that come through your skin. If you don't fully bring your gut back to it's normal natural healthy state then this will continue if you eat coconut oil - but it's probably not the cocounut oil that is the problem........but I've been wrong before

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by klawler9 View Post
          I bet the coconut oil is actually not the problem. I bet anti fungal nature of coconut oil is killing the yeast in your gut and the rosacea is just the dead fungus releasing mycotoxins that come through your skin. If you don't fully bring your gut back to it's normal natural healthy state then this will continue if you eat coconut oil - but it's probably not the cocounut oil that is the problem........but I've been wrong before
          I'm in agreement that this *may* be a possible cause. (How's that for confidence?!) If you have a more systemic yeast issue it can take quite a long time to clear out (I've seen some people take a year or more.) Rebuilding gut flora at the same time as cleaning out the bad stuff is important. Do you take any probiotics or eat any fermented foods? That can help a lot. Also... instead of cutting out coconut oil, maybe try eating less? It is a really powerful antifungal, so maybe you're just eating too much to be able to handle the die off? Many times you can need to cut back on the antifungals and then add in slowly again, to see what amount is fine before you start having die off issues that are too much to handle.

          Just a thought...
          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm. I don't think I have rosacea, but I do have red skin on the sides of my nose that is bumpy and, at its worst, scaly. I have never been able to find a cause. It has gotten redder lately, and I have increased my coconut oil consumption lately also.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
              Hmm. I don't think I have rosacea, but I do have red skin on the sides of my nose that is bumpy and, at its worst, scaly. I have never been able to find a cause. It has gotten redder lately, and I have increased my coconut oil consumption lately also.
              What you're describing sounds just like rosacea. Might not be, but you might want to go here Rosacea.org: The National Rosacea Society and check it out to see. My ex used to have it and it was exactly like you describe.
              sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by klawler9 View Post
                I bet the coconut oil is actually not the problem. I bet anti fungal nature of coconut oil is killing the yeast in your gut and the rosacea is just the dead fungus releasing mycotoxins that come through your skin. If you don't fully bring your gut back to it's normal natural healthy state then this will continue if you eat coconut oil - but it's probably not the cocounut oil that is the problem........but I've been wrong before
                This is what I thought for a long time, but the "die off" has been going on now for three months. I was only taking 4 tsp per day. I don't have any symptoms of candida: no yeast infections, etc.

                I think I am going to take a break from coconut oil and then maybe try very small amounts later.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                  I'm in agreement that this *may* be a possible cause. (How's that for confidence?!) If you have a more systemic yeast issue it can take quite a long time to clear out (I've seen some people take a year or more.) Rebuilding gut flora at the same time as cleaning out the bad stuff is important. Do you take any probiotics or eat any fermented foods? That can help a lot. Also... instead of cutting out coconut oil, maybe try eating less? It is a really powerful antifungal, so maybe you're just eating too much to be able to handle the die off? Many times you can need to cut back on the antifungals and then add in slowly again, to see what amount is fine before you start having die off issues that are too much to handle.

                  Just a thought...
                  I do take probiotics, and a little yogurt every day. I don't have overt symptoms of candida, such as yeast infections, or toe fungus or anything like that. I was feeling fine before I started the coconut oil. Also, my skin looked a lot better! Not sure any benefits of killing off supposed yeast is worth having horrible skin for three months.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is it regular coconut oil or is it virgin coconut oil? Would that make a difference?
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                      What you're describing sounds just like rosacea. Might not be, but you might want to go here Rosacea.org: The National Rosacea Society and check it out to see. My ex used to have it and it was exactly like you describe.
                      Thanks for the link Minxxa. My face sometimes does look like the milder cases on the site. And I've had 3 bouts of extreme redeye in the past year or so. I wasn't aware that that was also a symptom. I'm still not diagnosing myself but it's still good to know.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by shannonstoney View Post
                        I do take probiotics, and a little yogurt every day. I don't have overt symptoms of candida, such as yeast infections, or toe fungus or anything like that. I was feeling fine before I started the coconut oil. Also, my skin looked a lot better! Not sure any benefits of killing off supposed yeast is worth having horrible skin for three months.
                        The fungus is really hard to kill. It took me two years. Taking probiotics was part of it as were........um.....let's just say there was warm water and a skilled practitioner involved.

                        I think the big difference for me aside from diet was vitamin D. How is your sun exposure or your D levels?

                        Any other gut issues?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by shannonstoney View Post
                          I do take probiotics, and a little yogurt every day. I don't have overt symptoms of candida, such as yeast infections, or toe fungus or anything like that. I was feeling fine before I started the coconut oil. Also, my skin looked a lot better! Not sure any benefits of killing off supposed yeast is worth having horrible skin for three months.
                          Yeah, it could be a reaction to coconut oil. There have been a few people on the board over the time I've been here that didn't seem to handle it well.

                          However... Just a note to anyone curious about systemic yeast... I had it for years and never had yeast infections either. It can be one symptom of systemic yeast, but many folks never have them. They are related in some way as they are both imbalances in the flora and fauna-- systemic is an imbalance within the gut/intestines. Basically by eating crap we kill off the good bacteria, don't replace it and the yeast takes over. (BTW Candida is only one type of yeast, there are many and people can have overgrowths of different varieties.) Yeast isn't bad in and of itself, it's the imbalance caused by depleting the digestive system of all it's protective stuff that's the problem.

                          Getting it under control basically means changing the diet to remove the stuff yeast feeds off of-- sugar, grains, etc., adding antifungals (of which coconut oil is one), and repopulating the gut with probiotics. Basically much of the stuff Primal does, LOL.

                          Some symptoms of systemic yeast include:
                          1. Allergies: to foods and/or airborne chemicals; particularly adult-onset allergies. The number of offending substances can keep increasing until an individual becomes so sensitive to the everyday environment that they must live in isolation.
                          2. Fatique: continual, but often more noticeable after eating.
                          3. Gastrointestinal: poor digestion (constipation or diarrhea, gas, bloating, cramps, heartburn, nausea, gastritis, colitis, etc.)
                          4. Neurological: carbohydrate cravings, irritability, mood swings, headaches, migraines, "fogged-in" feeling, inability to concentrate/mind "wanders off", poor memory, confusion, dizziness, M.S.-like symptoms (slurred speech, loss of muscle co-ordination, vision affected), depression and/or anxiety without apparent cause (often worse after eating), paranoia without apparent cause, not in total control of one' actions (know right thing to do but unable to execute), mental incompetence (sometimes leading to institutionalization), a variety of other behavioral disturbances.
                          5. Genito-urinary: vaginal infections, menstrual difficulties, impotence, infertility, prostatitis, rectal itch, urinary tract infection/inflammation (urgency, burning).
                          6. Respiratory: compromised immune system (frequent colds, flus), hay fever, mucous congestion, postnasal drip, asthma, bronchitis, chest pain, frequent clearing of throat, habitual coughing (usually non-productive).
                          7. Skin: athlete's foot, jock itch, skin rash, hives, dry brownish patches, psoriasis, ringworm, rough skin on sides of arms which gets worse at certain times of the month or under increased stress.
                          8. Symptoms resistant to all modes of therapy. The physician may conclude that patient is a hypochondriac and/or neurotic and may suggest tranquilizers, anti-depressants and/or psychiatric help.
                          9. Clinical history (early childhood): ADD, ADHD, hyperactivity, aggressiveness, SKIN problems (cradle cap, diaper rash, thrush), RESPERATORY problems (chronic ear infection, tonsillitis) or GI problems (colic).
                          10. Miscellaneous: cold extremities, arthritis-like symptoms, etc.
                          There's an assessment questionaire at Whole Approach: Candida Symptom Assessment Questionnaire if anyone's interested. But honestly I think eating primal in general will go a long way to fixing any gut imbalances for most people...

                          Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread!
                          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I slammed CO for 1 1/2 years and had chronic cold sores. I tried giving up nearly everything. Then it came down to the CO. I could not believe it because of all the hype but sure enough.
                            This past month I've been into a Whole30 and increased my coconut milk consumption dramatically. So sad to report; same thing.

                            I can still use coconut products but not in extreme quantities.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whoa. Thank you so much for posting this ... it's almost scary how my life lines up with many of those symptoms.

                              Am I correct in understanding that you got your yeast issues under control with just primal eating—not the bentonite/caproyl/psyllium concoction that site sells? If you're willing, I'd like to know more about that. (It could be in a new thread or via PM, so we're not continuing the hijacking of this thread.)
                              “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

                              My primal journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X