Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
    Wow. What have your results been thus far? My last meal was at 3 pm today and don't plan on eating bkfast until after my workout at 10 am tmrw.
    Getting very close to visible abs--maybe a pound or two to go? I don't weigh myself, but I have lost 1.5 inches from my hips and 1" from my waist in the last 7 weeks of 16-18 hour IFs (34.5, 26, 35.5 as of this morning). I have just started 20 hour IFs this week, so I am hoping to speed up my progress a bit. I definitely need the smaller eating window to keep my calorie deficit without counting.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I know calories from fat , like heavy cream on your coffee up to 90 calories or so are no big deal during a fast. How about 15-20 calories of carbs from a small ašai shake? I already asked this question, but the answer was that it was ok as long as it was calories from fat. In this case, these are calories from carbs (15-20). Would this make a dent on a 24 hour fast?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
        Getting very close to visible abs--maybe a pound or two to go? I don't weigh myself, but I have lost 1.5 inches from my hips and 1" from my waist in the last 7 weeks of 16-18 hour IFs (34.5, 26, 35.5 as of this morning). I have just started 20 hour IFs this week, so I am hoping to speed up my progress a bit. I definitely need the smaller eating window to keep my calorie deficit without counting.
        Awesome! That's great. Hope to see similar results but not sure I can IF as often.

Comment

Originally posted by JPA View Post
          I know calories from fat , like heavy cream on your coffee up to 90 calories or so are no big deal during a fast. How about 15-20 calories of carbs from a small ašai shake? I already asked this question, but the answer was that it was ok as long as it was calories from fat. In this case, these are calories from carbs (15-20). Would this make a dent on a 24 hour fast?
          I think the general idea is that a tiny bit of food that your body has to break down isn't going to completely derail your fasting efforts, but then again, why not have your shake right before your fast or as a fast breaker? I think it's best to get used to full 24 hrs on water, tea, coffee, etc... but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a huge deal OR your body would start fasting again soon after digesting that acai shake.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
            Awesome! That's great. Hope to see similar results but not sure I can IF as often.
            I think you can reap benefits doing it less often. I am naturally going 20-24hrs about once or twice a week when I forget to pack a lunch for work. Sometimes when I spend the night by my gf this happens since I usually cook in the mornings. It's a little easier for me, doing daily 20 hrs fasts was a little tough for me but the occasional one is a breeze. I'm not sure if that means I'm not eating enough or whatever, but I'd rather keep on as I am. I'm still a tad bit neurotic about fasting longer than 16hrs on workout days, so for the sake of my mental being I don't mess with the 16-8 schedule on workout days but am more relaxed if it's a rest day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              I have pretty much done the 16/8 thing for a long while, without results. I swear I am just stuck with the extra jiggle around the middle. After reading this series I have done 2 20-hour fasts and am planning a third today. I figured I would try it during the week, and eat as I normally would on the weekends. Hoping to see results like yours!

Comment

I think that it is pretty easy to over consume with 16/8. I have eaten most of the week just dinner with one small breakfast. I honestly can already see a bit of weight loss. I won't do the scale until I am much closer to my desired weight. For me just eating dinner is really good. One of my hurdles is sleep. When I sleep poorly I eat way to much. A general loss of self control in that state. So not eating is a lot easier than trying to stop eating.

On a side note I think eating a lot is pretty natural. I like to eat until I am full. Really full sometimes. But not in a binge kind of way. A healthy dinner and after a decaf coffee with a large portion of Coconut flakes and Mac nuts.

I think the main problem is that with the abundance of food we have it is easy to just eat and eat. I will continue to eat a lot but just limit the number of times. I tell myself hungry is good and all evidence says that it is. The whole cortisol issue does cross my mine but the BIG picture to keep in mind is that general calorie restriction has huge benefits. For weight loss it does matter more than what you are eating. The what however certainly impacts overall health.

Today starts my first 40 fast. I ate dinner last night from 5-6pm so I will eat a light breakfast Saturday at 9 or 10. I am planning a small protein shake (raw eggs and raw milk) and then a normal dinner. WISH ME LUCK!
                Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-29-2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                  I have pretty much done the 16/8 thing for a long while, without results. I swear I am just stuck with the extra jiggle around the middle. After reading this series I have done 2 20-hour fasts and am planning a third today. I figured I would try it during the week, and eat as I normally would on the weekends. Hoping to see results like yours!
                  If you recall, in part two I made the point that our goal is to get to one large meal in the evening, and to have an inter meal interval of about 20 hours.

This 20 hours is not intended to imply that we have a 4 hour eating window. Rather, it is intended to account for the absorptive phase associated with every meal which lasts 4 - 5 hours depending on the individual. Once you absorb your meal over several hours, you enter the post-absorptive state where your metabolism, in the absence of further meals, increasingly becomes reliant on FFAs from adipose tissue for energy. As your body transitions from glucose to FFAs as an energy substrate, you may experience a dip in blood glucose levels which could induce hunger. Were you to not eat, your hunger would naturally abate as your FFA levels rise and your tissues are no longer energy deficient.

With the above in mind, if you eat like clockwork every evening at 1:00 PM. Your are spending approximately 20 hours in the post absorptive state. Now, lets consider the eating window concept of IF and the 16/8 split. If you are typical, you will break your fast at the beginning of the 8 hour window, otherwise, you would call it a 17/7 or a 18/6 split, or whatever, to reflect when you actually began eating. So, you eat at the beginning of your window, within 5 hours or so, you begin to transition to the post-absorptive phase, you experience a momentary dip in blood glucose, and you get hungry, so, about 7 hours into your eating window, you eat again, initiating another 5 hour absorptive phase, which will terminate about 12 hours after you broke your fast. The result of this is that you will spend only 12 hours in the post-absorptive state vs. 19-20 if you were to only eat one large meal in the evening. This represents a 40% reduction in the time you spend oxidizing FFAs as an energy source, and I have no doubt that it would significantly affect the results you see.

Again, the goal is one large meal, not an eating window.

-PK
                  My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

So is a 15 carbs calorie ašai shake going to break the fast? (20 calories, 5 from fat and 15 from pure carb goodness).

I need it because I will need a small boost during the fast for some minor manual labor predicted for that day, that's why I'm asking.

Comment

I just did my biggest fast, which was 17 hours. I ate breakfast like normal and do not feel any hungrier today. I also did a workout last night in a fasted state. We shall see...

Comment

I need it because I will need a small boost during the fast for some minor manual labor predicted for that day, that's why I'm asking.
                        You don't really need it. Also, think about what you’re asking, if your purpose with the shake is to get an energy boost, then obviously your body has to digest that “meal” so then you’re obviously breaking your fast.

When I answered you before, I said it doesn’t “technically” break it, by that I meant your body would take up fasting soon after. I’m no Pklopp though he definitely has more knowledge on the matter than I do but given his 4-5 hours of digestion time for a regular meal, that shake could put you out of fasting mode for maybe a half hour to an hour.

Pklopp, do I have that right?

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                          I think you can reap benefits doing it less often. I am naturally going 20-24hrs about once or twice a week when I forget to pack a lunch for work. Sometimes when I spend the night by my gf this happens since I usually cook in the mornings. It's a little easier for me, doing daily 20 hrs fasts was a little tough for me but the occasional one is a breeze. I'm not sure if that means I'm not eating enough or whatever, but I'd rather keep on as I am. I'm still a tad bit neurotic about fasting longer than 16hrs on workout days, so for the sake of my mental being I don't mess with the 16-8 schedule on workout days but am more relaxed if it's a rest day.
                          Thanks for the feedback. I feel like I can do this only a few times a week. Don't want to get too neurotic.

Comment

So is a 15 carbs calorie ašai shake going to break the fast? (20 calories, 5 from fat and 15 from pure carb goodness).

A few things ...
                            • 20 cal is nothing, irrespective of what it is in terms of macronutrients. We're talking 5g of carbs / protein, or 2.5g of fats. There is no need to concern yourself with this amount of intake.
                            • Muscular exertion can cause muscle uptake of glucose to increase 10 fold. I seriously doubt that your shake will have any impact on your overall metabolism, although it may be a psychological benefit.
                            • Try not to get lost in the minutiae. Get the large parts right, then worry about details.

-PK
                            My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                              Pushing my fasts into the 20 hour zone has jumpstarted weight loss for me, where the 16/8 wasn't doing a thing. Can't wait to try a 40 hour fast!!!
                              The more I see the less I know for sure.
                              -John Lennon

Comment

I'm considering a 36 hour fast... tomorrow is my girl's birthday and there will be LOTS of gluten and stuff to binge on.

I don't usually binge, I just want to take advantage of tomorrow being a special day. I'm not yet fully recovered as I'm around 80% energy of what I used to be, and tomorrow I may need to cut the lawn so I'm considering a 24 hour fast, maybe that will be plenty.

Comment

Working...
                                X