Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by akisswithafist View Post
    Are you all still following this WOE?
    More or less but I am not following this religiously at all. I also reverse my eating window about once a week, where I have a heavy breakfast with family / friends and no diner. Depends ... I also have a little to eat at lunch a few times (like green bananas / pecorino or manchego cheese slices / an apple). Most of the time, I do eat once a day but it is a habit so I don't think about it.

Comment

• I might try a fasting time later, after steak and eggs is done. But it is inspiring to see this thread again.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• thanks everyone

Comment

• I'm a 1 meal/day-er. Been so for ~1.5 years.

Occasional day's I don't have time to eat, and go an extra 24 hours.

Excellent thread and info, pklopp!

Comment

• Originally posted by akisswithafist View Post
            Are you all still following this WOE?
            I'm certainly still at it...

-PK
            My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

• I agree with the slowly slowly approach!

It's taken me a LONG LONG time to be able to just have one meal a day. I used to do it as a child/teenager without a second thought, but in my 30s I found myself hangry and shaky and feeling sick if I didn't eat, like, right NOW! There was no way I could do intermittent fasting... I was an absolute carbohydrate addict!

Becoming Primal didn't help either - in the beginning - I still suffered if I skipped meals. I don't think I was eating enough, and I often felt sick and shaky. And even though I was eating clean, I think the years of abuse from bad food choices and alcohol took a long time to rectify.

I've been Primal for a long time, and it's been a LONG journey for me to be able to go now, as I do, on just one meal a day (dinner). I'm happy to say that the hypoglycemia episodes are much less often, and it doesn't bother me now to go longer without food.

I'd say it took me over a year, approx, to get to this stage. And I still think I'd struggle to go 40 hours! (Even though I hope to be able to, one day.)
              SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
              “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

• I read pklopp's stuff and it made so much sense to me that I had to give it a try. It took me about 8 weeks to get to 1 meal a day and I haven't looked back since (Feb' 13). I've lost the weight I wanted, my blood sugar is constant, I'm feeling 10 years younger and my overall life has improved so much that I can never go back to my old WOE.

Dinner at 6pm is what I shoot for every day and it's been working wonders for me. Occasionally I extend the Fri fast into Sun for a reset. I'm so glad I discovered this and I wholeheartedly recommend it for everybody to at least give it a try (min 30 days).
                "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

• I eat in about a 3-4 hour window a few times a week and in a 6-8 hour window the rest. I can't call what I eat just one meal (on the short day) cause even when I don't eat till dinner I pick for an hour or two afterward.

Comment

• Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                    I agree with the slowly slowly approach!

It's taken me a LONG LONG time to be able to just have one meal a day. I used to do it as a child/teenager without a second thought, but in my 30s I found myself hangry and shaky and feeling sick if I didn't eat, like, right NOW! There was no way I could do intermittent fasting... I was an absolute carbohydrate addict!

Becoming Primal didn't help either - in the beginning - I still suffered if I skipped meals. I don't think I was eating enough, and I often felt sick and shaky. And even though I was eating clean, I think the years of abuse from bad food choices and alcohol took a long time to rectify.

I've been Primal for a long time, and it's been a LONG journey for me to be able to go now, as I do, on just one meal a day (dinner). I'm happy to say that the hypoglycemia episodes are much less often, and it doesn't bother me now to go longer without food.

I'd say it took me over a year, approx, to get to this stage. And I still think I'd struggle to go 40 hours! (Even though I hope to be able to, one day.)
                    Your profile doesn't specify your gender, so I'm wondering if by any chance you are female?

Just anecdotally, it seems that women are more prone to this. I've put up a quick four question survey on my site to try to substantiate this impression. I would really appreciate it if those of us who have actually tried the fasting protocol would take some time to complete it.

I do find it very encouraging that you were able to overcome the hypoglycemic response with a gradual extension of the fasting window! I'm also very impressed with your determination to keep at it. I've had a couple of exercise induced episodes of hypoglycemia, and they were just awful. As a public service announcement: do not engage in high intensity interval training at the tail end of a two day fast.

-PK
                    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                      Your profile doesn't specify your gender, so I'm wondering if by any chance you are female?
                      Spot on

Difficult to fill out the last question on the survey, as it's obviously different now, to how it was previously, and I couldn't say exactly how much of a time window I had before each episode... all I can say is, when I had to eat, I HAD TO EAT!
                      Last edited by thaijinx; 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM.
                      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

• Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
                        I read pklopp's stuff and it made so much sense to me that I had to give it a try. I've lost the weight I wanted, my blood sugar is constant, I'm feeling 10 years younger and my overall life has improved so much that I can never go back to my old WOE.
                        This is my experience as well (still in process of losing weight that I never could before). I am so grateful to PK for his 3-part Intermittent Fasting Primer. I am a female in my 60's. Before I began IF in August 2013 I had serious blood sugar issues. Now my BS is low and always on an even keel--even after my daily meal. No hypoglycemic symptoms (I completed PK's survey).

Thank you so much PK for all your work in posting the IF series.

Comment

• Originally posted by bilbo2 View Post
                          this is my experience as well (still in process of losing weight that i never could before). I am so grateful to pk for his 3-part intermittent fasting primer. I am a female in my 60's. Before i began if in august 2013 i had serious blood sugar issues. Now my bs is low and always on an even keel--even after my daily meal. No hypoglycemic symptoms (i completed pk's survey).

Thank you so much pk for all your work in posting the if series.
                          good series, isn't it? Congrats on resolving bg issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                            good series, isn't it? Congrats on resolving bg issues.
                            Thanks Terry H! I would go so far as to say the combo of Primal plus IF has reversed my long-standing metabolic syndrome. Of course I was coming from a misguided 3-year whole foods vegan WOE--but still. The out of control appetite, roller-coaster BS, high BP, etc--all history. Lipid ratios great too.

Comment

• Stories like the above inspire me to no end....

Comment

• 70 Hour Fast - Completed!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the writing on this PKLOPP! I have been doing IF for about 2 years and slowly gravitated towards a daily 22/2. Every so often I would skip a day of eating and make it a 46 or so just for kicks and the mental fortitude that it builds.

My goal has been to get to a ripped 8% BF and I am getting there slowly (around 10% now - started at 18%). Really trying my damnedest to get that fat around the belly button to go but it is so slow to move! It could take me another year of patience (caloric restriction, diet break, caloric restriction, diet break, and repeat...)

I just completed a 70 hour fast which on my one meal a day plan is basically eating dinner before the fast then skipping my daily dinnertime meal for the next two days and then eating again on the 3rd day. I used BCAA each day a few times which helps.

It was pretty easy most of the time. I had an awesome fasted workout on the last day and it was no problem at all.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X