Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been doing 16/8 for a few weeks now and have noticed some weight loss as a result. I break my fast at noon and stop at 8pm every day. If I was ravenously hungry outside of those times then I would eat, but so far that hasn't come close to happening. It's shut down the impulse I used to have to snack before noon. I did previously expouse the benefits of breakfast (mine being strips of pork belly or bacon and gluten-free sausages) but I have no need for that at the moment.

Hugh Jackman also used this protocol while training for The Wolverine and looks pretty damn good.

So far, it looks like 16/8 combined with a clean (the vast majority of the time) food intake produces damn good results.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

• Well I'm going to sleep, and when I wake up it will be my first 40hr fast!

Incredibly easy, not hungry at all actually.

Comment

• I've done a 4day fast which was not to bad. I broke it with fruit & eggs but its only good to do that long after maybe a cleanse of the body. I prefer the IF for 24hr period as its only a day away for food. Just need to keep it healthy

Comment

• Hi!

I just read this thread and it has been a wealth of information. Thanks for creating it. I am planning on integrating a 40 hour fast into my schedule.

I currently do 20 hour IF diet. I consume a high fat paleo diet on non workout days: ~1600cal = ~180g protien, ~40g carbs, 80g fat. On workout days (crossfit) i have carb\fruit rich diet: ~2300cal = ~180g protein, ~1800g carb, ~80g fat. My calories are pretty much TDEE +/- 20% based on bmr (1.3)

Its been working well so far (8 weeks) and I want to try out the 40 hour fast to reduce body fat composition. Will post results in a few weeks.

Tips and advice are welcome! thanks!
          Last edited by Meander; 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• I've been doing a one meal a day plan for quite some time. I don't have to hold myself back from the fridge in the morning, I'm really only hungry once a day.

The funny thing is that a couple of days ago I was too busy and stressed out that my dog was sick so I just skipped dinner. Didn't feel like eating.

I ended up with a 48 hour fast without even breaking sweat.

I am thinking about doing a longer fast sometime soon. When you think about it, fasting for a week for a "normal" person is missing around 21 meals. For me it would only be missing 7.

Comment

• ^ +1

Except I do eat lunch on days I work out or I notice a drop in energy.
              Height: 5' 10"
              Starting Weight: 292
              Starting Primal Weight: 275
              Current weight: 224
              Goal weight: 172
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Is it the ketones in the brain that causes that great feeling?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by imp View Post
                  Is it the ketones in the brain that causes that great feeling?
                  Prob the catacholamine release caused by the stress of the fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by imp View Post
                    Is it the ketones in the brain that causes that great feeling?
                    Yes.

Originally posted by iconoclast79 View Post
                    Prob the catacholamine release caused by the stress of the fast.
                    The keto adapted body is under no stress at all. It is only the primarily sugar burning metabolism that feels stress when fasting.

Comment

• Interesting

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Hey, I finally found this thread. Here is something about mice and time reduced feeding: Time-restricted feeding without reducing caloric ... [Cell Metab. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

For the same amount of energy the mice ingested, the time-reduced fed mice did not develop issues when compared to a group of mice that could feed any time. So, same cal amount but different eating windows = different metabolic results ... is it too much to extrapolate that it could also happen in humans ?

Comment

• Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                          different eating windows = different metabolic results ... is it too much to extrapolate that it could also happen in humans ?
                          Possibly. I think many animal studies underestimate the importance of circadian stress depending on the lab's lighting. A human's hormone balance is hugely impacted by indoor/outdoor/summer/winter variables so I wouldn't be surprised if a mouse can have good or bad meal response at different times of the day.
                          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

• Are you all still following this WOE?

Comment

• I don't consciously do it every day, but I still do it intermittently ( )

Comment

• Originally posted by akisswithafist View Post
                                Are you all still following this WOE?
                                I do. For me it is primarily a tool for BG control. I also feel pretty good on it.
                                PKlopp's site:

http://www.cogitoergoedo.com/
                                Last edited by Terry H; 03-17-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X