Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PrimalFocus View Post
    Thanks PK!

    I was reading this guy's success story, Jay Wright, the other day and what jumped out at me was his IF protocol which is exactly as you suggest, one meal daily with weekly 48 hour fasts. For him at least, calories mattered as he restricted those as well... He had impressive results.



    Later!
    That Perfect Health Diet is the place that talks about using fermented veggies while "fasting".
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

    Comment


    • Possibly, can you point us to the reference on the site? If memory serves me, PHD doesn't recommend fasting per se, this guy just happened to choose to do it while also incorporating elements of the PHD diet. Probably a good lesson for all of us, find what works for you...

      Originally posted by gopintos View Post
      That Perfect Health Diet is the place that talks about using fermented veggies while "fasting".

      Comment


      • Originally posted by PrimalFocus View Post
        Possibly, can you point us to the reference on the site? If memory serves me, PHD doesn't recommend fasting per se, this guy just happened to choose to do it while also incorporating elements of the PHD diet. Probably a good lesson for all of us, find what works for you...
        Look at pg 245-248 of the PHD book for some of their fasting advice (which I don't follow)

        Sure they do....they just call it herbivore days . They like to only skip protein and carbs on fast days (they like veggies as fiber). But, essentially they recommend taking x amount of days a week/month/year and doing a ketogenic fast. For that time it is recommended to eat huge amounts of coconut oil (the jaminets have this incurable fear of running out of glucose) to get ketones, and you may incorporate fermented vegetables cause they think all vegetables count as fiber rather than the carbs they may contain.

        For anything up to 48 or probably even more hours I think their fears are unfounded.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-25-2012, 05:37 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PrimalFocus View Post
          Possibly, can you point us to the reference on the site? If memory serves me, PHD doesn't recommend fasting per se, this guy just happened to choose to do it while also incorporating elements of the PHD diet. Probably a good lesson for all of us, find what works for you...
          I guess it is in the book, which I do not have but I got that info when I followed a post from MDA over to this guy. Intermittent Fasting – The No Hunger Method

          He states the following:
          Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:

          Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.

          If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.
          ... yada yada
          Last edited by gopintos; 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

          Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

          Comment


          • Anyways, my point was not to endorse the PHD diet, I like to find success stories and have a look at what made them successful (in their own words). In the case of the example cited, looks like IF and calorie restriction had as much to do with it as whatever elements of the PHD he followed. If you want to debate aspects of PHD, this old thread might be the one to resurrect :

            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15007.html

            Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Look at pg 245-248 of the PHD book for some of their fasting advice (which I don't follow)

            Sure they do....they just call it herbivore days . They like to only skip protein and carbs on fast days (they like veggies as fiber). But, essentially they recommend taking x amount of days a week/month/year and doing a ketogenic fast. For that time it is recommended to eat huge amounts of coconut oil (the jaminets have this incurable fear of running out of glucose) to get ketones, and you may incorporate fermented vegetables cause they think all vegetables count as fiber rather than the carbs they may contain.

            For anything up to 48 or probably even more hours I think their fears are unfounded.

            Comment


            • I was going to give it a try. I bought some cabbage, but knew it would take awhile to ferment, so I bought some sauerkraut also. It did help me to get past my 24, which is what I could never manage to get past. I think I went 36 that time, and then grandkids or something happened.

              Anyways... I need to try it again. I love reading success stories also! I can't wait to read mine some day
              65lbs gone and counting!!

              Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

              Comment


              • Originally posted by PrimalFocus View Post
                .....If you want to debate aspects of PHD, this old thread might be the one to resurrect :

                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15007.html
                Na, I'm good. I saw a "cite needed" sign in your post and responded for YOU....that's all.

                To the matter at hand I had a huge liver dinner with beef roast and lots of butter and about 1.5 cups of veggies today. The .5 was a home fermented mix. I highly recommend incorporating home ferments daily if you can.

                Comment


                • Cool, many thanks!

                  Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Na, I'm good. I saw a "cite needed" sign in your post and responded for YOU....that's all.

                  To the matter at hand I had a huge liver dinner with beef roast and lots of butter and about 1.5 cups of veggies today. The .5 was a home fermented mix. I highly recommend incorporating home ferments daily if you can.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    I bought some cabbage, but knew it would take awhile to ferment, so I bought some sauerkraut also.
                    You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions, as they are often not fermented, but rather use chemicals to achieve the texture, taste, and "mouth feel" of the lacto-fermented versions. Lacto fermentation alters the carbohydrate makeup of the cabbage, as the fermentation bacteria use the available carbs as an energy substrate. Chemical soup manufacturing of sauerkraut ... not so much.

                    -PK
                    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

                    Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                      You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions
                      KO, thanks. I wondered about it. The first time I had it, it helped me to get to about 36. Seemed like next time, it just made me hungrier sooner :P

                      I only did a 12 or so yesterday morning. Scale is down .4

                      That whole CICO thread had me thinking about my fasting and all. Seems like I am figuring out that I do better if I can just not eat any breakfast at all. That is my n=1. The BP coffee helps me. Cream might do the same, that will be my next N=1. Then my next n=1 will be just coffee. But I think I have learned that I have more trouble keeping my calories in check - I am just hungrier during the day if I eat anything -regardless how much or how little - before about 16 hours.

                      Some dont like the CO & butter calories in the coffee. But if I have those 200 first thing, it saves me about 200 - 500 over the course of the day. I dont have that to wash down my steak & eggs & whatever else. It is a stand alone.

                      I havent been very active either. Swimming & frisbee golf here and there, but nothing to write home about. There are just so many variables at any give time. My mind is sort of jumbled thinking about it this morning. Just trying to find my way. My grandkids will be gone Saturday. Then one week until vacation. Maybe I can think more clearly after the kids are gone.

                      I think I am just disappointed in myself, that I didnt reach my goal for vacation. This has been a crazy month for sure. And as it sits right now, I am ending it where I started.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

                      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                        You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions, as they are often not fermented, but rather use chemicals to achieve the texture, taste, and "mouth feel" of the lacto-fermented versions. Lacto fermentation alters the carbohydrate makeup of the cabbage, as the fermentation bacteria use the available carbs as an energy substrate. Chemical soup manufacturing of sauerkraut ... not so much.

                        -PK
                        Having said all of that, though ... cabbage is a really benign form of carbohydrate as it is mostly fiber.

                        -PK
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

                        Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

                        Comment


                        • PK, I know you said you needed some time to respond to the IF and IBS issue, but I'm wondering if you saw my following post, #226. It may be out of your realm of expertise, so if you don't have an opinion about it, that's fine, but since I posted it during the SPAM-onslaught, I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                            PK, I know you said you needed some time to respond to the IF and IBS issue, but I'm wondering if you saw my following post, #226. It may be out of your realm of expertise, so if you don't have an opinion about it, that's fine, but since I posted it during the SPAM-onslaught, I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.
                            Right you are, I did miss your post. I did a quick scan and it sounds like a reply requires a bit of research on my part. Let's see what we come up with!

                            -PK
                            My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

                            Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                              Having said all of that, though ... cabbage is a really benign form of carbohydrate as it is mostly fiber.

                              -PK
                              That is good to know. I dont mind it. I even put a little CO in my kraut. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing.

                              I am going for 48. My brain is preoccupied with what I need to be doing to reach my goals, as far as food goes..... so I am hoping that doesnt adversely affect me. I think part of when I went primal, I started eating more beef and less fish. And less chicken also. If beef was leftover in the frig, I would grab it instead of fixing salmon. So that is some place for me to try and see if it helps. I take a fish oil, but I need to be eating the fish.
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

                              Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                              Comment


                              • When it comes to counting cooking oil/fat..how exactly do you account for the fat still in the pan at the end of cooking? Or do you just add the full amount of calories from the original amount of fat added and just accept that you're overshooting by a handful of calories?

                                Edit: Asking because I've pretty much stalled, and its only my 3rd week, which has never happened before. So it seems like maybe I need start really counting my calories. And there are certain aspects of it that seem impossible to do reasonably.
                                SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
                                Primal Journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X