How many calories do you guys need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many calories do you guys need?

Hello, I am curious what other people need to eat.

When doing my normal level of activity, I need somewhere around 4000 (that's a good estimate- tracking that much food gets REALLY tedious) but if I workout extra, that bumps up quite a bit for a few days, to the point where I cannot eat enough.

I am 6'5", 205, 37 yo. I used to eat even more when I ran and cycled more but ate less meat.

Probably 2000-2300 cal, depending on activity (5'7", 133, 46yo). I tend to be eating less than that right now (just not hungry) so I am slowly losing.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Everyone's metabolism is unique, so you will get lots of different answers! (Female, 48, ~124, 5'6")

I need about 1700-1800 to maintain. Probably eating about 1500 right now as I get bikini-ready...
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

5'11, 165 lbs, 21 years old...well north of 2000 calories. I don't keep track, but if I had to guesstimate, 2500-3000 calories depending on the day.
        "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          Probably eating about 1500 right now as I get bikini-ready...

At 5'10, 40 yr old, 205(ish) I need about 3,000 on training days and about 2,500 on non-training days. Those are usually in 2 meals within a 6 hour window. Still losing fat even though my weight stays the same.
          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I stopped counting months ago. That's the beauty of the lifestyle for me. I just eat good foods and lose weight.

Comment

I don't count but I think I'm doing about half or even 1/3 of some of the higher numbers above.

I was a thyroid/hormone wreck before and I'm sure that has something to do with it though.

Typical day.. 2 eggs, walnuts, smoked salmon or hard cheese snack, salad, small amount of something grilled like fish/ground beef/chicken by itself, and grazing on nuts. No really big meals.

Comment

My appetite is voracious when I LHT (2x's/wk), and sometimes the day after. I'll eat upwards of 3000-3500 kcal on those days. For the last 10 weeks on primal, according to fitday, I have been averaging 2400 kcal. I have dropped from 183 to 174, and have also added some muscle. Still would like to lose those "last 5-10 lbs" off the middle. I'm 29 yo, 5'11''.

Comment

Female, 53, 5'4-1/2", 128, about 2,600 kcal for maintenance.

Comment

Female, 45, 5' 7", 212, ~1300 per day resulting in ~ 2 pound loss per week.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                      Female, 53, 5'4-1/2", 128, about 2,600 kcal for maintenance.

Goodness, that strikes me as a lot of calories for your age/height/weight! edit: not knocking it, just surprised me

For me... 26, m, 165lbs and hover between 2600 - 3000 on most days

Comment

The rule of thumb that's worked for me:

10-12 x current weight to lose.
                        14-16 x current weight to maintain.

I'm maintaining at 120lbs so that works out to 1680-1980kcal per day. I usually just round this up and down to 1600-2000. When I was losing from 150-120lbs, I lost steadily at 1500kcal per day. Everyone's metabolism is different, but calories in/out does seem to be the deciding factor in general.

I'm 5'7, and 32. I lost those 30lbs above when I turned 31, so even the infamous 30s weight gain/difficulty losing didn't stop me.
                        Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                        "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                        "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                        -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

Working...
                        X