Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here ever done Weight Watchers in the past?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here ever done Weight Watchers in the past?

If so, what was your experience? I did Weight Watchers a few different times and always lost weight, but always gained it back plus some. I'm sure the majority of Weight Watchers victims had the same experience? The last time I did Weight Watchers I started at 135 and went down to 115 and then went up to 165... the most I have ever weighed in my life. I gave myself some time to recover from starvation and then came across the Primal Blueprint and am so thankful... now I am back down to 150 and I don't feel deprived in any way.

I sometimes think about writing to Weight Watchers to complain and let them know just what they did to my health. Anyone feel this way and do you think it would make a difference?

Yes. It sucked.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I know someone that WORKS for WW and she gets me to help her with low carb so she can actually lose weight.

WW is like any other CW approach where people go to meetings. It makes people more careful, adds peer pressure, etc, but the science behind it is nonsense. They made some major changes recently, but they still have people eating a lot of fruit. That probably only helps if it gets their customers to eat fruit instead of Snickers bars.

Comment

Yes and I lost 25 lbs but I was starving the whole time.
        ~Sandy

Comment

Yep, it sucked. I hated being made to feel like I was a liar, and that I was always under scrutiny. And I didn't lose weight, in fact I tended to gain. I felt crappy the entire time, physically and emotionally.
          Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

A friend of mine lost 90 lbs on WW. I think he's gained back about 50 in the past year. I feel really bad for him. I've tried to tell him about Paleo/Primal but he just brushes me off. He was also chronic cardio the whole time, but he's dropped that too.

Comment

WW (both times I tried it) made me tired and cranky, and it doesn't really teach you about why some choices are better than others. The program is mostly an attempt to get you to follow a rigid ruleset that crashes and burns if you eat out at all because it's focused on calories and fiber, and good luck getting those nailed down at any restaurant (even one that bothers to post such information).

Their convenience foods (sold in most grocery stores in the US) are usually low fat, high-fiber, and their ingredient lists make me twitch.

The women in my family swear by WW, but since the hypothyroid diagnosis all it does is make me depressed, cranky, and hungry. I think it's fine for people who are comfortable with caloric restriction. Otherwise, it's not sustainable unless you intend to count points and eat in (or eat their pre-packaged foods) for the rest of your life.
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

My mother used to do WW on and off, and never lost more than the same 5 pounds with it. When I was in high school I actually read alllll their literature one summer, and it just seems so miserable and complicated--there are just so many 'rules'! All meant to restrict you, not actually help you achieve good health (like the laws of PB).

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
                  The women in my family swear by WW, but since the hypothyroid diagnosis all it does is make me depressed, cranky, and hungry. I think it's fine for people who are comfortable with caloric restriction. Otherwise, it's not sustainable unless you intend to count points and eat in (or eat their pre-packaged foods) for the rest of your life.
                  I did WW as my first serious diet after college, Hit my target and then some, was the lightest I'd ever been. Started gaining back on the maintenance plan, went back to doing points more strictly and continued to gain, gain, gain - and of course be disbelieved at weekly meetings that I'd stuck to the plan. At around this point I discovered based on other symptoms that I was hypothyroid. Mentioned this at WW and had the idea poo-pooed that hypothyroid might have anything to do with my weight gain. Got disbeleived for a couple of more weeks and I stopped going and stopped dieting period.

At this point in my life I'm pretty certain that if WW didn't actually cause my hypothyroidism, then it certainly contributed to it appearing at that exact time.

Oh, and I was always hungry.
                  My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27363.html

Comment

lost the same 10-20 lbs three times. was hungry and often felt lightheaded and weak. but I was sure it was "the healthiest program out there" sigh. the years I lost...

Comment

I still attend the WW meeting I was a member of when I found the PB. For six months I had been losing the same 20 pounds then things changed when I started primal. The problem now is that I am the biggest loser in the group. They all want to know how I am losing 1-3 pounds a week. I've had to confess that I don't eat grains and limit fruit and dairy. That, of course, does not work well with the WW philosophy of eat anything as long as you count the points. This week, I will be celebrating over 50 pounds lost. It should be interesting. I wonder if the leader will ask me to tell my story.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                        I still attend the WW meeting I was a member of when I found the PB. For six months I had been losing the same 20 pounds then things changed when I started primal. The problem now is that I am the biggest loser in the group. They all want to know how I am losing 1-3 pounds a week. I've had to confess that I don't eat grains and limit fruit and dairy. That, of course, does not work well with the WW philosophy of eat anything as long as you count the points. This week, I will be celebrating over 50 pounds lost. It should be interesting. I wonder if the leader will ask me to tell my story.
                        That is a great story. I hope the WW group gets to hear it!

Comment

Pebbles, that is great that you have lost, but that you have taken charge of your body!!! I can't wait to hear about your meeting.

Comment

I did WW a couple of times many years ago, never with any lasting success.

In fact, every single person I personally know who's been through the WW program has always ended up gaining the weight back. Every single one. I'm sure the program has its success stories, but I'd be willing to bet the percentage of repeat customers (or just plain non-success stories) is damn high. And I know a few people who ended up with some pretty unpleasant eating behaviours (purging/diuretics before meetings, to impress at the weigh-in, and then straight to McDonald's after the meeting for a binge).

There's a bunch of women at my workplace who have been doing the program for years. I overhear their endless, ENDLESS chatter about which foods are "allowed" and how many "points" they contain, and their low-fat their styrofoam rice crackers and tinned catfood (well, I assume it's some sort of watery tuna mush - ick). Every one of them is fatter and in worse shape now than when they first started almost 10 years ago. You'd think something might have clicked by now ...
                            I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I've done WW 3x and finally kicked it offically to the curb back in Oct 2010. The first time I had great success...got to the *lightest* weight I'd been in quite a while... but was effing miserable, cranky and didn't have the energy to work out. I hated it and as I tried to maintain that weight, I began gaining. so I stopped going... then I joined again after I had dd in 2008 saw 10lbs of baby weight loss. then just said eff it after I began gaining as I had to cut points, even while nursing (based upon my weight) - so I said eff it again. Flash fwd to last spring/early summer after delivering ds, I joined on line... and had no success. counting w/points...so I threw in the towel, and began P90X after I got cleared by my ob/mw to begin strenuous exercise (after having a C-section) - did that for 90days lost 13lbs of baby weight... stumbled onto the PB via a P90X blog... read the info starting in Oct, went Primal in Nov 2010 - and haven't looked back... I'm the lowest weight, I've been since I had dd! and I'm fitting in size 10s and getting to the point where I don't necessarily need to unbutton the pants to take them off! EFF WW they suck
                              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                              SW 190lb
                              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                              GW ~135lbs
                              5'3"
                              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Working...
                              X