No announcement yet.

How Do You Like Your Pork Cooked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled some salt & pepper chops (2in thick) last night to a lovely 140deg, they were tender and juicy with no traces of pink
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
      Grilled some salt & pepper chops (2in thick) last night to a lovely 140deg, they were tender and juicy with no traces of pink
      Really? Only 140 degrees and no pink at all? Beef steak has some pink at 140 degrees... I now really wonder why we always had to cook pork longer then.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Toad,
        There was a hint of pink when I took them off the grill but like beef they continue to cook while resting 10-15min.
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like my pork steaks with a hint of pink in the middle - don't like them to dry out. I pan-fry them a bit more gently than I would beef (my beef steaks are seared on the outside and dripping blood on the inside).

I think the cut is very important too - all those 'heart-healthy' lean pork fillets and chops can end up a bit tough and dry. My favourite pork cut is scotch fillet because the meat's a bit darker and marbled, so it's softer and juicier and more flavourful. (Says she, who just had two such fillets for dinner only a couple of hours ago - om nom nom!)
          Last edited by Sigi; 04-23-2011, 05:49 AM. Reason: clarity
          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
            I don't get this. Did I miss something? You are saying you should be able to eat commercially raised pork as rare as a steak but if its pastured from a local farm it would make you nervous? Isn't that backwards?
            Pigs raised in nature with access to dirt *can* get trichinosis, factory farmed pigs never touch dirt so they have no access to trichinosis.

I've lately developed a taste for pork cooked medium to medium well...i dont like the texture of pork on the rare side

Comment

145 degrees for pork tenderloin, and for pork chops etc once the juices run clear it's ready to eat! I gagged on way to many sawdust chops in my youth to ever over cook pork.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

I like all my meat well done- no pink.
                I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Is it just me that finds pork to have a weird smell?

Comment

I tried TJ's pork the other day. I expected it to be somewhere between our pastured pork from the farmer and the crap sold in the grocery stores. It was, and I realized it when I tasted it - it had that nasty "this pig ate something I don't want to know about" underflavor that I remember pork having before I started getting it from the quality farmer we buy from. Not nearly as strong as, say, Smithfield's, but it was still there. I imagine it's similar to what you're describing, Sue.

Our pastured pork does not have that *at all*.
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

That's probably it. Anyway it's Easter Sunday and having pig on spit, mum also cooked some lamb for those that don't like pork. I'm not keen to try the pork may just stick to the lamb.

Comment

Working...
                      X