Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody else struggle with this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does anybody else struggle with this?

    Ok, so I know lots of people on here struggle with cravings for sweets, carbs, etc. Some would even say that, although fat is great and filling, they might be eating more than they need for energy.

    Sometimes, I crave carbs or fat just as much as the next guy. However, what I've been finding of late is that I really, REALLY crave large amonts of protein! I know that there could be worse things and no one ever got really fat eating a lot of meat but there is definitely such a thing as too much protein.

    Eating between .75 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass isn't an issue, but to my understanding eating too much protein (especially all at once) can lead to higher toxicity levels, bloating and/or constipation, raised insulin as well as conversion into glucose (gluconeogenesis), and just basic over-eating beyond what one needs. However, even knowing this, I've really wanted to eat protein in epic proportions of late. My wife made a roast last night and I ate probably 10-12 oz after already eating up to 8-10 oz of meat for lunch. There was probably a good 4-6 oz left and I wanted to eat it but stopped because I knew I just wasn't hungry any more. If I don't get at least of pound of meat when I get BBQ I'm kind of sad about it, even if I've already eaten a good amount of protein that day. If I'm not careful, I would eat meat until I'm way beyond what I need and eating beyond full - in the same way some struggle with carbs or fats. It's just so damn good!

    Does anybody else struggle with this? Should I really be hugely concerned as long as I show the self-control to stop when I'm not hungry any more (or at least try)? I'm not really freaking out about it but I've just noticed the past month or so I've been all about protein - a little much so.

    Thoughts?
    Strength and Honor

  • #2
    Well, how have you been feeling consuming an increased amount of protein? I feel like I go through phases where all I want to do is gorge on meat. But I also can't really have very much of it when it's fatty (oxtail, for example). So my other question is, is the meat you're typically consuming fatty enough?
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Listen to your body. If you're craving something then feed it (cavaet: only if it's good whole foods). Right now, for whatever reason, your body needs protein so feed it. I've gone through cycles like that too.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by profdjj View Post
        Listen to your body. If you're craving something then feed it (cavaet: only if it's good whole foods). Right now, for whatever reason, your body needs protein so feed it. I've gone through cycles like that too.
        Me too. It feels as if some extra repairs are going on in my body when I feel like that.
        Karin

        A joyful heart is good medicine

        He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

        Mmmmm. Real food is good.

        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

        Comment


        • #5
          As long as you aren't eating very lean meats I don't think there is an issue at all, most cuts of beef/pork have half the calories or more from fat. Just dont have a majority of your meat be skinless chicken breasts or low fat ground meat whateva. I eat 2 pounds of meat in a day on a regular basis and it hasn't affected me negatively.

          Comment


          • #6
            I also go through cycles where I eat more (or less) protein. Last night I ate close to a pound of chicken legs, and could have easily eaten more. However, I do agree that there are concerns with excess protein intake. Like Maria, I'd suggest making sure the meat you are eating is fatty enough. I can eat far more ground beef than oxtail too. Plus, you want to make sure that you're not just eating muscle meat.
            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

            You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

            Comment


            • #7
              I just had these same thoughts, after I consumed nearly a pound of sirloin last night after an amazing lifting session. I'm 175 lbs, and easily consuming up to 230g of protein a few times a week. It balances out though because I have a few days with much, much less. Guess I can't add anything other then to say, I feel the same a lot.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for all the comments. I would say a majority of the meat I'm eating has been fattier cuts - at least 15% fat ground beef, dark chicken meat (ate like 6 or 7 drumsticks the other day - glorious), ground pork, pork chops, brisket, pork or beef ribs, etc. I will add to my original post that I've been craving more red meat of late (and less white meat) and don't get the leanest cuts as a rule. It's probably not as much protein as I think when you take fat into account but it just seems like a lot. I'm still looking for wanting less protein on this protein craving cycle - hasn't happened yet. Should I limit anything else to compensate for the extra protein calories, eg. less fat with fattier cuts of meat or less carbs (I'm already averaging 50g or less on non-lift days and closer to 75-100g on workout days)? Again, I'm not really worried about it, per se, but don't want to overdo it. Thanks again!
                Strength and Honor

                Comment


                • #9
                  i wouldnt worry about the protein unless your deficient elsewhere in your diet vitamin/mineral wise. there is a thing as too much protein, especially eating solely the muscle meats you eat. your getting ginormous amounts of certain aminos that you dont really need. make sure to knaw on some oxtails, liver, heart etc and some bone & skin fish
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    i wouldnt worry about the protein unless your deficient elsewhere in your diet vitamin/mineral wise. there is a thing as too much protein, especially eating solely the muscle meats you eat. your getting ginormous amounts of certain aminos that you dont really need. make sure to knaw on some oxtails, liver, heart etc and some bone & skin fish
                    I literally have never eaten offal. I'm not opposed to it and would actually like to but my wife would never touch it (not primal) and our food budget is tight enough as it is. I also honestly don't know where to get it that is a quality source.
                    Strength and Honor

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When I'm training really hard I definitely have this problem. The worst was when I was hard-core paleo zoning during a CrossFit challenge a while back. It whiplashed me back the other direction, actually. Reading The Primal Blueprint was eye-opening. When I'm not feeling satiated after meals it's always because something is missing. I up my eggs and steak intake as well as fat and try to make sure I'm keeping my meals diverse.

                      As for offal, it's really cheap. I got a pound of liver at HEB (ironically, the "Jewish" one at Far West, but not from the kosher deli) for two or three dollars just a few weeks ago to make those curried meat balls Mark posted. Central Market is a pretty good source. Not necessarily grass-fed, but I trust their quality. The guys behind the meat counter are super helpful and they usually have something in the back even if it's not in the display. I've never bought offal at Sprouts, but it's become the place I go for sausage without a lot of additives and their employees would probably be really helpful too.
                      Last edited by AmyKickass; 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM.
                      Peace. Love. Steak.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AmyKickass View Post
                        When I'm training really hard I definitely have this problem. The worst was when I was hard-core paleo zoning during a CrossFit challenge a while back. It whiplashed me back the other direction, actually. Reading The Primal Blueprint was eye-opening. When I'm not feeling satiated after meals it's always because something is missing. I up my eggs and steak intake as well as fat and try to make sure I'm keeping my meals diverse.

                        As for offal, it's really cheap. I got a pound of liver at HEB (ironically, the "Jewish" one at Far West, but not from the kosher deli) for two or three dollars just a few weeks ago to make those curried meat balls Mark posted. Central Market is a pretty good source. Not necessarily grass-fed, but I trust their quality. The guys behind the meat counter are super helpful and they usually have something in the back even if it's not in the display. I've never bought offal at Sprouts, but it's become the place I go for sausage without a lot of additives and their employees would probably be really helpful too.
                        Yeah - I probably just need to ask the meat counter or look around for it. I know my wife would freak out about it (and be grossed out) so I've never really looked for it. If it's really cheap I can definitely throw it in there in my meat sources for week at least on occasion.
                        Strength and Honor

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                          i wouldnt worry about the protein unless your deficient elsewhere in your diet vitamin/mineral wise. there is a thing as too much protein, especially eating solely the muscle meats you eat. your getting ginormous amounts of certain aminos that you dont really need. make sure to knaw on some oxtails, liver, heart etc and some bone & skin fish
                          Originally posted by AmyKickass View Post
                          As for offal, it's really cheap. I got a pound of liver at HEB (ironically, the "Jewish" one at Far West, but not from the kosher deli) for two or three dollars just a few weeks ago to make those curried meat balls Mark posted. Central Market is a pretty good source. Not necessarily grass-fed, but I trust their quality. The guys behind the meat counter are super helpful and they usually have something in the back even if it's not in the display. I've never bought offal at Sprouts, but it's become the place I go for sausage without a lot of additives and their employees would probably be really helpful too.
                          What Offal would you recommend to start with (having never had it) so that it doesn't gross me out too much and make me not want to try any others?
                          Strength and Honor

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            beef heart!!!!!! then chicken liver, beef liver, tripes, tongue(VERY fatty)
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I haven't really explored eating them too much, though I do like looking to see what's available. Liver as part of a meatball or meatloaf recipe is a good way to ease in; it has something of a dry texture and a definite taste that seems to be common across the other organ meat I've eaten. Maybe I'll give heart a shot next. Being a muscular organ it's probably a lot different.
                              Peace. Love. Steak.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X