Tired of obsessing & failing :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of obsessing & failing :(

I know it's only my second week, but I am OBSESSED with counting every gram of macronutrient and I'm overeating...every day...by 300-500 calories. I KNOW Primal is good. But I can't seem to control myself.
    This is more of a vent than anything. I need to channel my willpower so I can:

-Stop eating chocolate (at least for now)
    -Start eating ONLY WHEN HUNGRY
    -Stop eating Primal "cheat" foods
    -Stop eating TONS in one go
    -Stop counting obsessively

Try not to go hard on yourself. Focus on your successes not your failures!

Comment

You just need to "let go". Let go of it all and just concentrate on healthy foods. Don't worry if you over-eat. The paleolithic diet is not about counting macro-nutrients and calories. Nobody can do that for a lifetime, they'd go insane. Just eat as much as you want. You know you've over-eaten because you're full and not hungry and don't want to eat anymore, not because you've gone over some number you plucked out of thin air and probably isn't even accurate anyway.

Eat vegetables, meats, fish, berries, fruits, eggs and nuts. Go crazy. Eat them whenever you have the slightest desire. You'll be doing yourself, your body and most importantly, your psychology a favour in the long run. Relax. Paleolithic lifestyle is not about stressing over food. It's about the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by captaineight View Post
        You just need to "let go". Let go of it all and just concentrate on healthy foods. Don't worry if you over-eat. The paleolithic diet is not about counting macro-nutrients and calories. Nobody can do that for a lifetime, they'd go insane. Just eat as much as you want. You know you've over-eaten because you're full and not hungry and don't want to eat anymore, not because you've gone over some number you plucked out of thin air and probably isn't even accurate anyway.

Eat vegetables, meats, fish, berries, fruits, eggs and nuts. Go crazy. Eat them whenever you have the slightest desire. You'll be doing yourself, your body and most importantly, your psychology a favour in the long run. Relax. Paleolithic lifestyle is not about stressing over food. It's about the exact opposite.
        Yeah I overate and felt it and then counted.
        I know I need to let go. It's so hard when control over food/my body is what I get off of.

My successes:
        -Started my LHT routine (did the self-assessment and got like 3 of the essential movements already)
        -Did a yoga day, a longgg walking day, 2 rest days
        -Have eaten under 100g/carbs for about 4 days out of 10
        -Only had one really awful day and it was still like MOSTLY Primal foods (albeit the "cheat ones)
        -Lost 1.5 lbs in the first week and didn't weigh in for 3 days (this is INSANE, normally I weigh in anywhere from 2-6x/day)
        -Didn't eat wheat for 2 weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by rayout View Post
          Try not to go hard on yourself. Focus on your successes not your failures!
          Thank you, I'm so...exhausted...

Comment

Originally posted by tanyayogi View Post
            (this is INSANE, normally I weigh in anywhere from 2-6x/day)
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Are you still at the bong?..

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                Yes, I'm working on that too. Although I recovered from my eating disorder EATING behaviors, some other behaviors and mindsets remain.
                Such as counting + over-weighing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                  Are you still at the bong?..
                  Nope. 4/19 was my last day of weed. Gave it up. I skipped a massive 4/20 celebration with all my friends today, and I'm so glad. Instead I scarfed down 20 pieces of salmon sashimi.

Comment

Captain, what's happened? Have we converted you?

Comment

Do you need to lose weight? Sorry if you've posted this somewhere - I'm just curious, since I've read in another thread about your eating disorder and some of you comments in this thread elude to that as well. I wonder if being strict on any way of eating or diet might be detrimental to you, simply because it would play into your eating disorder - being a way to be highly in control of your food intake. Are you still seeking therapy for this?

I agree with captain, it really is just easier to eat within the Primal Guidelines - cut all sugar, cut all grains just CUT them, just stop eating them. Then, if you are able, eat to hunger. If this is difficult for you, I'd seek counselling regarding how you can let yourself listen to hunger cues again.

I hope I've been helpful... I really think the cortisol release from stressing so much about the nutrient profile of the calories you eat is undoing all the good you are doing by eating Primal to begin with. I'd work on fixing that, and allowing yourself to be nourished by a stress free Primal diet.
                      Robin
                      ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

Originally posted by nocturnalmama View Post
                        Do you need to lose weight? Sorry if you've posted this somewhere - I'm just curious, since I've read in another thread about your eating disorder and some of you comments in this thread elude to that as well. I wonder if being strict on any way of eating or diet might be detrimental to you, simply because it would play into your eating disorder - being a way to be highly in control of your food intake. Are you still seeking therapy for this?

I agree with captain, it really is just easier to eat within the Primal Guidelines - cut all sugar, cut all grains just CUT them, just stop eating them. Then, if you are able, eat to hunger. If this is difficult for you, I'd seek counselling regarding how you can let yourself listen to hunger cues again.

I hope I've been helpful... I really think the cortisol release from stressing so much about the nutrient profile of the calories you eat is undoing all the good you are doing by eating Primal to begin with. I'd work on fixing that, and allowing yourself to be nourished by a stress free Primal diet.
                        I agree completely. Listen and look to your own body for cues - see what works and doesn't work, and go from there. Every single body is different and has a different combination of variables required to function optimally. Stress can be poisonous and sabotage your hard work!
                        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post
                          Captain, what's happened? Have we converted you?

I've always thought that was good advice. Taubes & quacks are not synonymous to a sensible paleolithic-inspured diet (far from it). If I didn't believe in the later, then I wouldn't be here.

I think the advice I gave in this thread is applicable, particularly for a young lass who is recovering from anorexia and clearly still obsessing about her food.

She has to let go and just eat whatever she likes.

Comment

Originally posted by tanyayogi View Post
                            I know it's only my second week, but I am OBSESSED with counting every gram of macronutrient and I'm overeating...every day...by 300-500 calories. I KNOW Primal is good. But I can't seem to control myself.

The Trichotomy Of Control Skyler Tanner

Comment

Originally posted by tanyayogi

I'm also doubting this is a good idea... the more you forbid yourself to eat things, the more you (often) tend to obsess and go overboard.
                              I'll take myself as an example; just a day or two ago, I told myself "I will not have x and x" - and what happens? I have it because I think of it, and then beat/blame myself for having it. That's what you call a bad cycle!

Instead of focusing on what NOT to eat, think about WHAT to eat, and let that be your priority. You might find you don't really feel the need to eat the things that are of less priority.
                              Focus on first eating your meats, veggies and fats. Then, if you feel like it, add in the extra things (such as chocolate).

I'm by NO MEANS a perfect example with this, but I try - we're in the same boat (I struggle with same/similar issues).

I reeeaally try to just let myself go.

Comment

Working...
                              X