No announcement yet.

Is it ever too early for going primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ever too early for going primal?

Hey there! I just started this new way of being last week and so far I have had pretty good results. I even got the wife on board! Now here's the question, we have two small children (2 1/2 and 14 months), is it too early for them to go primal? I am concerned about their development and want to make sure they are getting the correct nutrients needed for their unbelievable growth.

And if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move it.

Thanks for your input!

Nope. The sooner the better.

Certainly no need for 'toddler formula' and 'rice cereal' when you have stuff like greens and guts and offal. Tastebuds are set early, and the sooner you start, the easier it will be.

If baby is still nursing, all the better.

Bone broth is a great addition to mashed veggies/meat mush for little guys.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

In the womb is early enough.

Comment

Paleochild ate a paleo diet throughout her pregnancy with her first child.

Her blog is here.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
          ...and before conception is even better!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks for the shoutout Dragonfly!

Yes, ate this way since pre-conception. Quinn eats Primal, she enjoys dunking her bacon in yogurt in the morning at breakfast.

PS - I swear diapers are WAY less stinky on Paleo than SAD (Standard American Diet). I nearly vomit anytime one of my friends change their kiddo. While Quinn's are definitely not nice little breastfed poos any longer, they aren't nearly as foul smelling.

On a separate note, Quinn is (as of today!) 13 months old.

Comment

I don't have kids, but I definitely agree that it is never too early, with one major stipulation -

Young kids likely don't have the insulin resistance issues that so many adults have (and most likely won't develop them on a Primal diet). So, they don't need to restrict carbohydrates to the extent that many adults do. Primal starches (sweet potatoes, white potatoes, jicama, yukka, plantains, parsnips, etc) are just fine for them. I'd still take it easy on the sugars though, especially fructose.
              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

How could it ever be too early to eat the most nutrient-dense diet known to man?
                Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                  +100 Out of the womb the baby should be eating primally if at all possible; meaning mom's milk.
                  This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                  Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I wish we had started my daughter out on a primal diet. She eats mostly primal now but still asks for grilled cheese and noodles more than I feel comfortable with....
                    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                      How could it ever be too early to eat the most nutrient-dense diet known to man?
                      I was going to say the exact same thing.

My gf and I had this discussion in case we ever have kids. She’s just dabbling in primal now, but this was before she read the PB. She said a diet devoid of SAD would make our kids “odd” which I can see what she meant by that, however she was applying HER memories and hoping that her kids would some day look back at fun times eating a bowl of colorful cereal… I told her all my memories are of fun times eating random meat, eggs or dinner leftovers (I grew up in a third world country, thank heavens, they didn’t have cereal back then) and our kids could be the same way.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I get told all the time how it will be "mean" if I don't ever let my kids have "fun" stuff, and they will become bingers as they get older because they were not allowed a ton of sugar, fast food, and bread as young children, the whole forbidden fruit mentality.
                        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                          I get told all the time how it will be "mean" if I don't ever let my kids have "fun" stuff, and they will become bingers as they get older because they were not allowed a ton of sugar, fast food, and bread as young children, the whole forbidden fruit mentality.
                          You know, the more I look around, the more I see grown people eating “kid food” every other cube in my office presents a “fun” treat for passer-by’s to nibble on… as if most of these folks needed to snack between meals…

I wonder (and this might be a “duh!” comment) if we’re constantly re-inforcing the idea that “party foods” (snacks) are okay to eat anytime at all? Because that’s what I notice here daily.

Growing up lower middle class in a country that’s poor to begin with I didn’t have ready access to party foods unless… I was at a party. My diet as a kid was that of most Peruvian children, meat, rice and legumes, tubers, eggs, and some veg in soup mostly. I only ate candy and potato chips and such at parties or if I was out with my mom sometimes she would buy me a snack but it was usually a reward for putting up with being out in the town, etc.

Here in America though, and I’ve only been here 11 years (I’m 26) it seems that these foods are acceptable and perfectly normal no matter what the setting. This is troubling. Kids need not eat it, of course, but if we’re going to make it “okay” to eat “fun” foods then I think they should be mostly for children, and mostly when time-appropriate, as it would be at a party. If I procreate, I may not be too uptight about my kids eating junk at parties, but will keep it clean and nutritious at home.

Overall though, it’s unfortunate that we’re completely surrounding by all these nutritionally devoid fake-foods, and that if you don’t partake in consuming them then YOU are odd, and caring about health is not only weird, it’s ANNOYING.

Sorry, I vented a little, but I get slack from friends and families because I won’t shut up about certain things.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Read "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan you will feel better about feeding your children primally. I have two children (9 and 5) that I wish I would have fed a primal diet from early on. We ate a very "healthy" CW diet. My daughter has gastrointestinal issues related to wheat and milk. My son has dental issues that could have been avoided if we hadn't been giving him toddler friendly recommended foods that rot the teeth and the body. Switching them to a primal diet was not easy. Major battles but now both my children are thriving on their primal diet and growing beautifully. My daughter's gastro issues are gone unless she eats something she shouldn't and my son's teeth are not rotting anymore.
                            http://paleochickcooks@blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post

Overall though, it’s unfortunate that we’re completely surrounding by all these nutritionally devoid fake-foods, and that if you don’t partake in consuming them then YOU are odd, and caring about health is not only weird, it’s ANNOYING.
                              "It's all about moderation."

"I love food too much to be so restrictive, you gotta enjoy life."

The next person that says either of those things to me is getting throat chopped. I actually got bitched out by family members because I told them they might not want to give my 8 month old niece soda with out asking her mom.
                              For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X