"Lean" Meats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lean" Meats

Ok... this is driving me nuts... what are considered "lean" meats? Why are we eating them? I hear time and again that fat's not the enemy so... what's the deal here?

I've been buying grassfed ribeyes, but are we talking about different cuts like strips and sirloin or does this apply more to ground beef?

The general rule of thumb is:

If you’re eating grass fed, you should have the fat

If you’re eating conventional, you may want to go lean, or leaner.

I fall in the second category, so if I’m eating conventionally raised ribeye, I most likely will navigate around the fat … but won’t obsess about trimming it off I just won’t eat up all the fat.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

That, is an acceptable answer, much appreciated.

Comment

The rib eye steak seems to be higher in fat. I think NY strip steak (balanced) and sirloin steak (very lean) are the best choices.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          The general rule of thumb is:

If you’re eating grass fed, you should have the fat

If you’re eating conventional, you may want to go lean, or leaner.

I fall in the second category, so if I’m eating conventionally raised ribeye, I most likely will navigate around the fat … but won’t obsess about trimming it off I just won’t eat up all the fat.
          Yep - this.

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
            Ok... this is driving me nuts... what are considered "lean" meats? Why are we eating them? I hear time and again that fat's not the enemy so... what's the deal here?
            Not everything is what it seems. There's separable fat, and then there's fat you can't see. Liver has next to no separable fat but that doesn't mean it's low in fat.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lamb, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised

As you see, lamb's liver is 46% fat in terms of calories.

Low fat is utter ball*cks. You need fat for a number of important biological functions:

The Skinny on Fats

Note particularly the section entitled "The Benefits of Saturated Fats":

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
            They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.38
            They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.39 They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.40
            They enhance the immune system.41
            They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids.
            Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 42
            Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.43 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
            Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
            You don't need to go mad on fats but if there's not some down the side of your meat perhaps add a knob of butter to your vegetables or put a spoonful of olive oil on your salad.

Comment

This has all been very helpful to me, thank you all!

Comment

Archevore - Archevore Blog - "Lean" grass fed bison*images

Comment

I always get grass-fed, free-range meats, however, I don't always go for things like steak, as it is more expensive than the other options (like minced beef, hamburger, tartar, pork chop, kramensky (dutch slavink) etc.). I would think meat like steak and entrecote are more lean and less fat. Is it important get these lean meats aswell, or will I get enough quality protein from fish, meats and eggs?
                  Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Bump.
                    Any answers?
                    I'd really like some info on this.
                    Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

The fat from free range, grass fed meat is super healthy for you - as far as I am concerned the ground beef is the most healthy part. Especially if they through in all the other bits (heart, liver, etc.). Liver and other organ meats have a bunch of vitamins - try to grab those too

*edit for clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Edje Noh View Post
                        I always get grass-fed, free-range meats, however, I don't always go for things like steak, as it is more expensive than the other options (like minced beef, hamburger, tartar, pork chop, kramensky (dutch slavink) etc.). I would think meat like steak and entrecote are more lean and less fat. Is it important get these lean meats aswell, or will I get enough quality protein from fish, meats and eggs?
                        No, not so important as long as you eat a varied diet.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Ah, thanks!
                          I love ground beef, get it all the time, it's great to invent creative dishes

Comment

i get whats on sale, and chicken is ALWAYS on sale. so if i get cheap chicken breasts(still no hormones/additives) i use butter and ghee. beef, i usually get a BIG roast cut on sale if its lean i get shank and oxtail to cook with it, if its fatty i eat it haha
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X