No announcement yet.

Your choice of cooking fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was considering coconut oil till I researched it some in regard to my nut allergy. The jury seems to be out on that, though most people with allergic reactions to coconut were not allergic to other nuts. I am, to a scary degree, so not quite sure whether to take the chance or not. (Other sources said "don't do it," and anaphylactic shock isn't that much fun!) Butter, bacon grease (we get nitrite and nitrate-free bacon), or lard looks like it will work for us, for cooking.

Still trying to get my brain around abandoning the CW lard concept!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

I love lard. I have some beef fat in the freezer I've been meaning to render so I can't weigh in on that yet. You can get lard hot as hell before it starts to smoke, is great for frying fish, chicken, whatever. I use bacon drippings pretty often as well. Sometimes butter, depending on what I'm cooking.
      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I use coconut oil at heat level 5 out of 10 on mah stove.

100% organic of course.
        Last edited by PingPrime21; 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

coconut oil (tropical traditions), bacon fat, ghee, grass fed butter
          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
          SW 190lb
          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
          GW ~135lbs
          5'3"
          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
            I was considering coconut oil till I researched it some in regard to my nut allergy. The jury seems to be out on that, though most people with allergic reactions to coconut were not allergic to other nuts. I am, to a scary degree, so not quite sure whether to take the chance or not. (Other sources said "don't do it," and anaphylactic shock isn't that much fun!) Butter, bacon grease (we get nitrite and nitrate-free bacon), or lard looks like it will work for us, for cooking.
            Coconut's not a nut. There's no reason someone with a sensitivity to real nuts would have any problem with coconuts. That's like people thinking almond milk is a dairy product. Or how a giant gorilla can be called Donkey. If someone's allergic to both coconuts and tree nuts, well, that would suck.

For the purposes of labeling, the FDA calls coconut a "tree nut"...but it absolutely is not one.
            carl's cave

Comment

Working...
            X