GAPS Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAPS Support Thread

Hey all, I started the GAPS intro diet today to try and heal my food allergies, and just figured I'd put up this thread for anyone else who's doing GAPS too. How's it going so far? Challenges? Successes?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Ok so far, although I'm skipping out on intro now. I started it, did really well for a couple days, then started to get crazy die-off symptoms. So, I added back in some sugar free bacon, fried eggs, and just now I had one Larabar. Still totally primal, and Full GAPS safe, but not intro. I figure as long as I'm careful about everything else I eat, I should be ok. I probably won't do another Larabar anytime soon, the carbs from the dates and the apples are giving me a sugar headache. I don't want die-off to happen too fast since I'm still nursing, and my son was having some crankiness that I'm attributing to die-off, so I definitely needed to slow down die-off.

Comment

I just did a huge shopping trip, but my allergies have been acting up (getting way more restrictive), I think I'll start in May when I have a few days off of work and school, die-off is awful. Good luck girls!!

Comment

I'm considering starting, to relieve Crohn's disease. Any thing you know of to relieve die-off symptoms that are still within the realm of the intro phase? Not looking forward to that....
        Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
        Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
        More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
        LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
        Play more!

Comment

I don't know much yet about how to minimize die-off symptoms, although I'll be looking it up as the headache and fogginess is coming on! I just found this post about die-off relief baths, and I also hear that you can go reeeeeeally slowly with the probiotics to minimize die-off symptoms. I'm starting with no supplemental probiotic, just a bit of sauerkraut juice and maybe a few Tbsps of ginger carrots.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
          5'10" female, 38 y/o
          WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
          DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
          EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

How ru guys doing GAPs? I ask because the book is hard to buy and is out of print, from what I understand. I'm talking about Natasha Campbell-McBride's book. Are you doing it through an online course (there is one offered)? Through information on the Web site?

Originally posted by ommmmaggie View Post
            I don't know much yet about how to minimize die-off symptoms, although I'll be looking it up as the headache and fogginess is coming on! I just found this post about die-off relief baths, and I also hear that you can go reeeeeeally slowly with the probiotics to minimize die-off symptoms. I'm starting with no supplemental probiotic, just a bit of sauerkraut juice and maybe a few Tbsps of ginger carrots.

Comment

I have NCM's book, and there's a new edition out that I think is available through Amazon.com. I'm using my book, plus the website www.gapsdiet.com, the Yahoo group, and the blog at www.gapsguide.com.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
              5'10" female, 38 y/o

Comment

The book is back in stock here: Gut and Psychology Syndrome | GAPS Diet

I haven't bought it yet, I'm going entirely on the info I've gleaned online and from the yahoo group. I'm still feeling quite good, with minimal gas issues and a lot less die off today now that I added some things back in. From what I understand, you can expect some die off early on, but as long as you go really slow adding in probiotics and probiotic foods, you should be able to control it. The fact that we're already low-carb no grains no legumes helps a lot, because you don't get low carb "flu" on top of die-off.

Comment

The GAPS diet is one of the best things I did to help heal my body. I developed allergies to so many groups of foods, basically I was down to meat and veggies. Now, I've got everything back, within moderation, and am working with a chinese medicine doctor to heal the last bit. Now I eat on the Primal/Perfect Health diet spectrum.

To minimize die-off, I recommend full GAPS for at least a month (if transitioning from a conventional diet) and then transitioning to the Intro. Combine the diet with the right supplements and some movement and you'll be much better within the year.

By the way, I lived in Sacramento until 3 years ago. :-)

Comment

jkr, congratulations on healing your food allergies! That's what I hope to do. Too bad you don't live here anymore.

I started the intro diet yesterday, and now I'm thinking I might as well stick with it rather than move to full GAPS and then back to intro. Am I in for a world of hurt?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Comment

I read and followed the GAPS diet over a year ago. I had terrible allergies (Sinusitis, hay feavers, headaches, ear pressure) and was taking immuno-therapy shots twice a week. I also had IBS and GERD issues before the diet. After about a month of mostly bone broths and following the diet pretty strictly I noticed my IBS/reflux problems completely subsided. My allergies begun to stop. After a few months my allergies completely stopped and I just didn't get sick anymore. After about 6 months I was able to add back in some very good quality grass fed dairy like cheese and butter. (I buy mostly raw dairy here in California from Organic Pastures). If you have a very non-offensive diet like the GAPS diet and you get enough sleep with minimal amounts of stress you will find that a lot of your allergies and common ailments start to go away quickly.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

subbing; will read later. We've been on GAPS 7 months.
                        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by ommmmaggie View Post
                          jkr, congratulations on healing your food allergies! That's what I hope to do. Too bad you don't live here anymore.

I started the intro diet yesterday, and now I'm thinking I might as well stick with it rather than move to full GAPS and then back to intro. Am I in for a world of hurt?
                          I'm in Portland now, which I love more than Sacramento 90% of the time (the weather this time of the year is enough to drive a person to move.)

Since you already started the intro, I would keep it up. If you ate Primal before starting, you'll be fine. Something I and other friends found through personal experience and research is a good probiotic is important; something like VSL #3 or Custom Probiotics. In order to make real change in the gut, screaming high numbers are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jkr View Post
                            Something I and other friends found through personal experience and research is a good probiotic is important; something like VSL #3 or Custom Probiotics. In order to make real change in the gut, screaming high numbers are needed.
                            Really good to know that - so far I'm just using sauerkraut juice for my probiotic, because I didn't want the extra expense and I had read elsewhere that food-based probiotics were fine. I'll see if I can add something in.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                            5'10" female, 38 y/o

Comment

Baths with epsom salts, ACV, or baking soda have been very helpful to us in reducing the discomfort of die-off symptoms. Some people use activated charcoal, I think.

We did this for a host of symptoms in my children & me, but all are minor. Mild SID, ODD, anti-social behavior, tics, meltdowns... and crazy sugar obsession.

We were going from a primal diet in me and a WAP diet (with only 1-2 servings of properly prepared grains/day) in the kids. My husband has a lifetime of naturally healthy eating behind him, with a very limited amount of grains. We all threw up in the first two days, dh for the first time in the 17 years I've known him. It wasn't from low blood sugar; it felt like a stomach bug, but we had not been exposed to one and even when we have been, never have all of us gotten sick at once. The baths helped with headaches and such.

By the second day of intro, my son went from melting down and wailing every time I asked him to do anything, whether pick up his toys or do his math, to just groaning. This was huge! Another son stopped melting down every time he was asked to do his share of unloading the dishwasher. So muchof what we think is behavioral is really a lack of an ability to deal with something contrary to your will that comes from an unbalanced neurological system from an unbalanced gut.

Tics have come back. Three of the kids had them and they went away in one child when we stopped eating fast food a few years ago, came back when we did early in my pregnancy, and went away again when we stopped. But hers are back now. The other two boys who had them have seen them, one of them pretty intense, vocal & physical, constantly changing (and I have a sister with severe Tourette's). The one with the intense tics has none anymore. Theother one went without for months, but a few are back, very mildly. I'm wondering if their tics are related to toxins in the bloodstream, where if they're actively eating them bad foods, they have tics, and if they're not eating them but are detoxing, the released toxins (that had been stored in their bodies b/c they had too many to deal with back in the day) are causing tics again, kind of like a die-off thing.

For me, I went on GAPS to take my sugar cravings further away from the brink. For the old me, one bite sent me over the edge. After being primal for a while, it took a few weeks of "a bite here, a bite there," say, on vacation. I wanted for me & the kids to get further away from the brink. I think the kids are much further than they were. Me, ... hmmm... currently, I'm ON the brink of the cliff. For a while, I was further away. I just don't know how to solve this particular problem.

I love seeing how GAPS helps all manner of digestive and neurological and immune problems. The success stories on gapshelp, especially with autism, are simply amazing.

I love this blog:
                              GAPSfamily
                              and this:
                              Life is a Palindrome | Sarabeth's Home on the Web
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                              X