A question on the bowel's movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question on the bowel's movement

After extensive googling I still haven't found nothing on the subject but...

When following an all-meat diet...is it natural to not have a bowel movement for say...3 weeks?

Since something like 97% of beef is digestible, that could mean the human body goes (100/3) 33 times less than the normal 1/day to 3/week right?

Should I get help? Comments are greatly appreciated...

PS. I'm also been eating about 40% below maintenance but keeping protein at 120g+ (190lbs).

I'll say it's not natural! Something is very wrong. This isn't a joke, right? No pain?

I think it would be safe to take some double dose of stool softener (not laxative) to see what happens.

Comment

Did you say 3/week or 3 weeks?? If it's 3 weeks, you'd better see a doctor.

Comment

Three weeks, no joke, no pain, no bloating/gas etc. I've only eaten beef, ostrich or canned salmon, green tea.

The last time, around early Oct, was the day after a salad.

Stool softener check, I'll try...though is it safe? For a man-made thing I mean?

Comment

It's that ostrich........

Well, besides being a really benign product, stool softener is a hell of a lot safer than a three week constipation!

Have another salad? I'd also try adding some fiber. Most of us here know that fiber isn't necessary and often leads to problems, but here you have a problem and fiber could be a good tool.

Comment

Try 1000-1200 mgs of magnesium citrate.

You really should get that checked out though.

Comment

It doesn't sound normal to me.

I went once a day when I ate very high-carb, and I still go once a day now, eating mostly primal.

Comment

Update:

Had two salads...not working...should I get scared?

Honestly I feel fine, no energy drops, headaches...

Will try the magnesium and stool softeners soon

Comment

Have you tried plums? Have a bowl of plums and a can of coconut milk. You can't go wrong with that.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

No Shit!

Seriously, make sure you drink enough water. Then if you&#39;re still stuck, try prune juice. If that doesn&#39;t work, next step is prunes. Toughest cases require psyllium husk.

Comment

well, any CW doc is gonna freak out to hear you haven&#39;t pooped in over 3wks.

as an interesting point of comparison, a breast-fed baby can "safely" go up to 2 or so weeks w/o a BM without anyone freaking out (as long as baby is feeling good, not gassy, not fussy, etc). breastmilk is highly digestible and bio-available, etc, especially compared to artificial baby milks. perhaps you&#39;re experiencing a similar phenomenon?

question: what cuts of meat are you eating? are you eating organ meats, too? are you eating lots of good fats? dr. eades (of protein power) will tell you to up your fats if you&#39;re having constipation problems when VLC.

Comment

I don&#39;t have any answers, but I&#39;ve found the gutsense dot org website to be pretty interesting/informative/helpful.

quette's journal

Comment

Honestly it sounds like you&#39;re not getting enough fats. If you&#39;re eating 120g+/day of protein and staying 40% below maintenance, you&#39;re not getting nearly enough fats. I would definitely up the fat intake to get to a healthier diet...and I would try to get a bowel movement w/ some of the other ideas presented here. Even if your body is digesting everything well, once in 3 weeks does not sound normal.

Comment

Thank you everyone, very informative comments, esp. bout the baby info...

@godzilla I&#39;ve been drinking alot of water, up to about 2L/day + tea (keeping sodium levels at 3g/day)

I used to eat ALOT of fiber, around 100g/day from swedish rye bread. Maybe my bowels are "stretched"?

@nessa I usually go for sirloin, some top round, tender chuck for beef, extra lean ground sirloin if I&#39;m adventurous. Top loin for ostrich meat. Canned salmon for those omega 3&#39;s (bumblebee brand)

@nina_70 Yes you&#39;re right my fat is pretty low... I think I&#39;ll maybe devote a day to "fatten" up, maybe some coconut oil...I gave it up for the psmf.

Had ANOTHER 2 salads, slightly gassy but that&#39;s it.

I think I&#39;ll go with the milk + prunes, though I fear the carbs (suseptible to overeating)

Will update again (sigh)

PS. On the upshot, I&#39;ve been losing a constant .7 lbs/day ave since Oct 1, from 210 down to 195 now.

Comment

It sounds to me like if you haven&#39;t dropped turds in over 3 weeks you had better be looking to take some stool softener, and a lot of it unless you want to feel like you&#39;re giving birth. You&#39;re probably going to need some stiches after wrestling w/ that bad boy...

Comment

Working...
                              X