No announcement yet.

Things you can't give up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raphael- Yes and no. They're a treat for sure, and something that I should be able to live without.

I'm very, very self disciplined so even chocolate and red wine are a rare treat for me. Once a month, tops. I had been allowing myself a nightly glass of wine a couple weeks ago, but felt I was being to lax.

Looking at my diet, I don't really think I have any actual "cheats." At worst, I eat chicken wings and bleu cheese, as I will have tonight. That usually happens about once a month also.

Comment

I agree with Raphael - A glass of wine and a small amount of good quality raw chocolate are good for you. I understand the discipline thing though. I'm kind of on again, off again with the wine and chocolate.

Comment

What's "raw" chocolate? I've never heard of that before. Now you tell me my chocolate ain't good! Grr..

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Most chocolate has an alkalizing agent added to it to smooth out the color and flavor, but destroys a lot of the antioxidants in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_process_chocolate

Comment

Pizza... And being surrounded by 8 year-olds, a hard thing to give up... McDonald&#39;s is second - I know, I know... So we just don&#39;t go and that makes it much easier... Third, Diet Coke... Yep, poison in a bottle but I just love the taste - I don&#39;t drink it anymore but when I see it, I do salivate...

Am I in a confessional? Sure feels like it...

Comment

You can give up anything if you want to. This is a certified chocoholic speaking.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I miss crunchy food..nothing specific but having no grains means not much crunches when I eat.

I miss eating lots of fruit. I wasn&#39;t a big processed food person before Primal but ate most of my carbs from fruit easily eating 5-9 pieces/servings a day. I still eat fruit just not as much more berries and fewer bananas.

Primal food tastes so good it is just getting used to skewing towards fat, meat and veggies.

Comment

mseibel - ah, I see. I&#39;m familiar with the Dutch process.

Comment

BikerPike- Try making your own veggie chips. I made lots of them out of zucchini and yellow squash. They crunch wonderfully.

Comment

Or pork rinds or nuts... but then you&#39;ll get into a whole new addiction.

Comment

Two things: chips and chocolate (maybe just sugar in general). The chips are almost out the door so that should be OK. I gave up gluten grains a year and half before I found out about primal eating, and they were not really a problem at all. I have been pretty consistent about cutting out other grains as well. But I am having a heck of a time giving up the sugar. It&#39;s like a drug habit - I keep telling myself I won&#39;t eat it and I do anyway. It&#39;s truly a craving. Any suggestions?

Comment

my solution for those situations is to not have stuff that i&#39;ll eat too much of in the house. I went through a cranberry walnut gluten-free bread kick and I&#39;ve learned that if the ingredients are not in the house, I can&#39;t make it.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Yeah, me too. As long as I don&#39;t have it in the house, I don&#39;t have a problem with it. But I really can&#39;t help it when it&#39;s in the fridge... like that peanut butter jar...

Comment

Yeah, I try to do that and what do I do when I go to the store? Buy M&Ms and chips. It&#39;s like a crack addict going to the drug dealer and not buying the crack.

Hi, my name is Laurie and I am a sugarholic...

Comment

LOL...trust me, I can vouch. I learned tonight that I can&#39;t have cocoa camino dark drinking chocolate in the house anymore. I came up with a wickedly delicious "primal coconut brownie" recipe. I guess I have to stay out of the kitchen as well as I&#39;m too creative when I have a little of everything hanging around.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X