Tired!!! Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired!!! Help!

I was on the paleo diet for about 2 weeks, felt great until the 2nd week. I was exhausted! My recovery times from workouts were insane and I could barely get threw any of my workouts. I work out 3x a week.I eat many vegetables and meat. Also tons of sunflower butter(sometime a half of a jar in a day) I was constantly hungry.
    My sample breakfast and lunch
    Breakfast: 4 eggs,spinach, cup and 1/2 of squash, strip of turkey bacon, and 3 spoon full's of almond/sunflower butter, 2 bannas, and a orange
    Lunch: 1/2 pound of grass fed beef, 2 bell peppers, half of onion, avocado, 3 hand full's of raisins(maybe more)
    and so on...
    I am 5'6" 125 lbs.
    Also when I gave up and ate a big huge sandwich, I felt amazing and got my energy back! WHat GIVES!!??

Maybe you were in ketosis? There are several side effects associated with ketosis, including fatigue, especially for the first couple weeks of your diet change. Did you ever try to measure ketones in your urine?

Comment

Do a forum search on "carb flu"...you need to push through it instead of grabbing a sammich every time.

Comment

How did this work out for you? I myself got tired of being tired and did a carb refeed today, which worked (so far). I'd be interested in what happened for you.

Comment

Maybe you ate too much fruits and seed/nut (butter). Try cutting out the bananas, oranges, squash and raisins and eat more fat.
          What was your diet before going primal? It took me one and a half month to transition out of carb addiction to fat fuelling.
          It's a price you pay for years of unconscious food choices.
          Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Throw in a few potatoes here and there. From the looks of things, you are no where near 150 g of carbs. At your weight, you do not need to go aggressively low carb. Also, go easy on the vegetables, especially spinach. Oxalates in leafy greens can screw with your calcium absorption. When I was eating a spinach salad every day I was getting sick constantly and had no energy.
            "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Comment

Originally posted by Red Wire View Post
              Throw in a few potatoes here and there. From the looks of things, you are no where near 150 g of carbs. At your weight, you do not need to go aggressively low carb. Also, go easy on the vegetables, especially spinach. Oxalates in leafy greens can screw with your calcium absorption. When I was eating a spinach salad every day I was getting sick constantly and had no energy.
              What would you clump in as a leafy green, all; or only some? Thanks.
              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

healthy fat is great for fuel. it helped me. none the less, walk it out. dont give up

i went primal in feb 2010
                200lbs
                37% body fat
                38-40 waist

1 year to the day
                140lbs
                7.8% body fat
                29 waist

currently
                137lbs
                7% body fat
                29 waist

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                  What would you clump in as a leafy green, all; or only some? Thanks.
                  I'm not sure exactly which green vegetables are the biggest offenders. Off the stop of my head, spinach and broccoli have some of the highest oxalate content. I think kale/lettuce might be similar?? I could be wrong, I would do some internet research and a little self-experimentation if you are concerned.
                  "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Comment

Originally posted by Red Wire View Post
                    I'm not sure exactly which green vegetables are the biggest offenders. Off the stop of my head, spinach and broccoli have some of the highest oxalate content. I think kale/lettuce might be similar?? I could be wrong, I would do some internet research and a little self-experimentation if you are concerned.
                    I'll look those up, thanks. I remember spinach, around here, being touted as being one blocking calcium absorption. I guess, that's why not you can't eat too much of it. I think I've kept this mentality up for the most part, by eating only one set a day for broccoli.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I think this article describes what you're experiencing...

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I

Comment

Breakfast:
                        12 oz Squash: 21 Carb
                        2 bannas: 30 Carb
                        Orange: 12 Carb

Lunch:
                        3 oz Raisins: 63 Carb

I'm not even counting everything, and by the end of lunch, you are over 126 carbs.

You are probably eating enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis, but not enough to make you satisfied. I.E., your body is still using carbs as it's primary source of fuel, but you aren't giving it enough carbs to fuel the fire.

Instead of going the direction of refeeds, and sandwiches, you need to go the opposite direction. Start by cutting out your fruit. And, increase your fat. (Go regular bacon instead of turkey at least).

Give it three days to a week, and you should start getting your energy back as your body makes the transition from carb burning to fat burning.

Comment

Indeed, get plenty of saturated fat and monounsaturated fats in there to meet your energy needs. Think meat, acovado, olive (oil), coconut and eggs. I find it sensible to watch when I eat fish and lean meats as they tend to contain more protein than fat. I make sure I eat enough fat for fuel.
                          Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Originally posted by gumbogirl View Post
                            +1

Comment

Working...
                            X