Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 1 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
    PK, This was what I was responding to. I was providing references to help DFH see what happens in respect to rt3.

If increased rT3, in connection to food deprivation and starvation "reverses toward normal the fast-induced changes in T3 and rT3" with 50 grams of glucose and/or protein refeeds, then any possible rT3 issues during IF--which is not deprivation or starvation--would be mitigated by the same pathway outlined in the quote.

IMO, the other studies provided support rT3 improvement with refeeds following calorie restriction and/or undernutrition.
    Oh, I see ... roger that, then!
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac View Post
      Would you like me to try and get hold of the original study? I'm not sure which one you're referring to, so if you send me the details I'll give it a try.
      I would definitely welcome the help in tracking that study down, please!

I'm not sure how much luck you will have, though. Here is where that came from. It looks to be an online book, and I don't know whether they actually have the data and methodology backing the conclusions. Maybe the principals behind that website might be able to dig up the data?

-PK
      My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

excellent post. probably the most definative post covering IF i have seen. and ive read quite a few....

looking forward to part 2

Comment

pklopp, I am really starting to get a man-crush on you. This is guest-blog-post worthy stuff. Thanks.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

awesome post, thank you!
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

The OP is brilliant. Well written, funny and informative.

Comment

Good post. Thank's a lot.

Just one thought as I was reading threw it though

[Quote]In modern society, the word has been co-opted and transformed from a functional definition into a cultural one where breakfast is your morning meal, generally consumed before heading off to work. I expect that this arose as a consequence of industrialisation given that factories thrive on predictability and conformity.[Quote\]

I actually think it caught on so well because, as we know, society are primarily high carb/sugar junkies, mostly without even knowing it due to lack of good information, and so they require a big morning boost/insulin spike to send them on their way otherwise they would not function well at all. I think this is why "breakfast" caught on and is so important from the conventionals standpoint.

But for those few who eat "primely" the need for this morning insulin boost is almost zero hence this whole breakfast thing hardly matters, in fact it can be counterproductive.

Hello everyone.
                Last edited by Ollie; 05-28-2011, 11:25 AM.
                One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

1) superb presentation 2) very much look forward to subsequent installments 3) i also want the t-shirt

Comment

...great post, I'm relatively new to IF, have done several so far. Thanks for the post.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that someone should do this...
                      Thanks!

Comment

Hi.

Thanks! Great job! I'm away to read part 2.

Oh, and I seem to remember Uri Hofmekler discussing rT3 in Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat.
                        All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Dear PK,

Fantastic summary. BTW, I also think that Sean Connery is the best of the Bonds!
                          Last edited by Health Divas; 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Just my 2 cents... living in a predominantly Muslim country I've done the Ramadan fasting and seen the results with others.

Regardless of what studies may say, in my own first-hand experience most people find that actually GAIN weight during Ramadan.

Also, and this is considered almost required and NOT cheating, most Muslims stuff themselves silly in the hour or so before technical 'dawn'. So it's not just one big meal at night time, it's a biggish meal in the morning too.

Hope that helps?

Another aspect is that there's an awful lot of family and friends visiting, you visit them, they visit you and it all goes round in circles. Those visiting times invariably involve cookies, cakes, rice-cake nibbly things and other sweet treats, not to mention fructose-laden drinks...

Net result for most people is about 2-6lb gained for the month.

AC

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                              Just my 2 cents... living in a predominantly Muslim country I've done the Ramadan fasting and seen the results with others.

Regardless of what studies may say, in my own first-hand experience most people find that actually GAIN weight during Ramadan.

Also, and this is considered almost required and NOT cheating, most Muslims stuff themselves silly in the hour or so before technical 'dawn'. So it's not just one big meal at night time, it's a biggish meal in the morning too.

Hope that helps?

Another aspect is that there's an awful lot of family and friends visiting, you visit them, they visit you and it all goes round in circles. Those visiting times invariably involve cookies, cakes, rice-cake nibbly things and other sweet treats, not to mention fructose-laden drinks...

Net result for most people is about 2-6lb gained for the month.

AC
                              Good that you posted this, which goes to show you that IF is not a work of magic that should allow you to eat whatever you want. By keeping the calories within reason and eating Primal you will, more often than not, achieve the opposite effect of that which you just described.
                              this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Working...
                              X