Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oat Bran - Dukan diet

Hello,

I have been "primal" for a while, over a year with some times more primal than others. Just getting back on track after a long hiatus full of wheat. I felt the effects ten fold.

I was looking at the "Dukan diet" which is basically paleo - protien, low fat, low carb. The diet also has this one strange component of eating 1.5 tablespoons of Oat Bran every day during the first phase, and upping that to 2 and then 3 tablespoons in the subsequent phases.

I know Oat Bran is a grain....but all the literature out there says it is so good for us, lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control insulin spike etc. and that it helps make you thin.

Can I eat the oat bran????? I have had a great Primal day,

Coconut flour pancake, strawberries and hazelnuts

tuna salad with lot sof celery and greens, olives, pesto, sheeps milk cheese ( small amt), olive oil

flank steak, sauteed spinach and onion.

I just had the "oat bran" mixed with a couple of small kiwi's and a spoonful of yogurt as a "dessert" will I regret this?

Well, I guess oat bran isn't technically primal. But I've been using a tablespoon or two of oat bran to reduce my insulin levels. At least, that is what I've been reading:

Study: High beta-glucan oat bran and oat gum reduce postprandial blood glucose and insulin in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes.
    High beta-glucan oat bran and oat gum reduce postp... [Diabet Med. 1994] - PubMed result

I've also been reading that the special kind of 7 molecule sugar in avocados also inhibits the release of insulin, so I've been eating those too.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did not read that study but I will, also, do you habe any tips on WHEN to eat the stuff? with a meal? before? after?

Thanks alot!

Comment

I mix it with an equal amount of water and add cinamon and heat it up to make a little porrige out of it, with a dab of cream. I eat it by itself, usually in the evening.

Someone else on here recommended chicory root instead of oat bran, because chicory root is primal and has good fiber etc in it. So I'm looking into that.

Comment

Great suggestion - thanks!! sounds likea good breakfast item, maybe together with eggs.

Comment

Jea 1-2 tbs of roasted chicory root would be the preferred primal option. In small amounts it is quite good. At least for those who have healed up from their previous diet. Some people don't stomach fiber very well.
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Another point I would love any input on is the low fat aspect. Dukan really aims for low fat and avoidance of all pure forms of fat like oil and butter.

I know this is different from primal, but it has me wondering....anyone out there with any wisdom on the subject?

I eat alot of olive oil every dya, and it has me wondering if it is hindering further wieght loss.

Thanks,
              S

Comment

I would like to see this Dukan guy's explanation of his scientific basis. Because he just kinda looks like... a charlatan with a fad diet.

Never should losing weight be anything other than a rocket ride to superb health and a loss of adipose tissue along the way. And so I say eat fat and lots of it. Ultra high protein diets are NOT sustainable long-term, and I think he lets people get back to a more normal diet eventually, but why not just work on health, hmm? Anyone who doesn't focus on metabolic health is a charlatan in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                  I would like to see this Dukan guy's explanation of his scientific basis. Because he just kinda looks like... a charlatan with a fad diet.

Never should losing weight be anything other than a rocket ride to superb health and a loss of adipose tissue along the way. And so I say eat fat and lots of it. Ultra high protein diets are NOT sustainable long-term, and I think he lets people get back to a more normal diet eventually, but why not just work on health, hmm? Anyone who doesn't focus on metabolic health is a charlatan in my eyes.

I would love to know what you would recommend for me Stabby as I have recently found out I cannot metabolise fats properly. The result of eating a diet consisting of 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs ended in agony for me. I ended up with chronic stomach cramps, severe diarhea, nausea and vomiting and a trip to the doctors office.........

Comment

Mark on fiber: Fun With Fiber: The Real Scoop | Mark's Daily Apple
                    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                      I would love to know what you would recommend for me Stabby as I have recently found out I cannot metabolise fats properly. The result of eating a diet consisting of 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs ended in agony for me. I ended up with chronic stomach cramps, severe diarhea, nausea and vomiting and a trip to the doctors office.........
                      Ouch.

This doesn't come from personal experience, nor yet Stabby-level knowledge of anything, but fwiw I imagine you could eat a more 'Kitavan' variant of Primal - plenty of starchy tubers to ensure you get enough calories (or white rice, even), lots of veggies, and meat and fish just with their naturally-occurring fats. It's not actually compulsory to snack on slices of butter. Different people do better on different proportions of the basic Primal foods.

Also... granted that if you jump straight to a high fat diet horrible things happen. Maybe if you move very, very slowly towards more fat you'll find you adapt.

Comment

TARNIP-

Did you jump right to that 70% fat from your previous diet, or did you work up to that level slowly? If the former, that may have been your problem. There's no way that I can add significant fat without 'symptoms' very similar to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                          Then don't eat as much fat, of course. Replace with root vegetables and fruit at whatever ratios don't bog you down. Consider digestive enzymes and see if they help.

Comment

Chicory root can be very high in fructose. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post

I think it's totally a fad diet. It's not just high protein, low carb, low fat... it's also low calorie. It's a fad diet in the sense that it is marketed as a way to achieve rapid fat loss. Definitely not focused on health wholistically speaking.

Once you deviate from the plan, the likelihood of regaining weight is high, based on what I've read of people who have been on it. I would not be happy eating lean protein and plain fat-free veg for weeks on end. I like fat

Comment

Working...
                              X