Magnesium citrate, constipating?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium citrate, constipating?!

I was under the impression that magnesium citrate caused laxative affects. It makes me feel better anxiety less hungry for chocolate and overall eating, and reduced tension wise (which is really big for me), but its really slowing down my digestion. I'm taking 400 mg of vitamin shoppe magnesium citrate. I sometimes will take an Epsom salt bath and spray some magnesium chloride oil on topically. Perhaps it something to do with not enough stomach acid?
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

that would be unusual. I keep trying to up my calcium to counteract my mere 200 mg of magnesium citrate. I'd like to up to 400 mg but I am skeeeered
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

It's not likely to be the magnesium citrate, unless there is another ingredient (iron?) in your supplement.

600 mg of pure mag citrate helps me if I am constipated.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Magnesium Citrate by Vitamin Shoppe - VS-1977 - at The Vitamin Shoppe

The chellated Dr. Best slowed it down a bit, but nowhere near as much. Didn't really help wtih anxiety and tension though like this does. I do have an extra long colon, for who knows what reason. I have the urge to go, but blocked and gasy.

Comment

Maybe you need more water and/or fat?

Comment

Hey Nathan~
            I just saw your other thread on Crohns'. I assume you are grain & legume free?

Are you avoiding FODMAPS? They can cause the symptoms you are describing.

An excerpt:
            How else to avoid excess FODMAPs ? Minimize excess fructose, onions, jerusalem artichokes, wheat, tomatoes, apples, peaches, pears. And minimize fruits with fructose substantially in excess of glucose (watermelon, apple).

Comment

Apples I can cut back on, not onions, love them too much right now to drop them. Love peaches too. There may be some sort of sweetener in Xtend BCAA powder I take when I do IF workouts. Don't eat tomatoes that often, so they aren't really an issue. I do like them in BBQ sauce and on spagetti squash (which takes quite a bit of work to make) .

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                Apples I can cut back on, not onions, love them too much right now to drop them. Love peaches too. There may be some sort of sweetener in Xtend BCAA powder I take when I do IF workouts. Don't eat tomatoes that often, so they aren't really an issue. I do like them in BBQ sauce and on spagetti squash (which takes quite a bit of work to make) .
                Did you see the link to a Crohn's study at the end of the article?

Comment

I can only read the abstract, and it doesn't say much useful info. I am grain (eat rice (eating a lot less than I used to) and very rarely corn) and don't eat any legumes except for string beans and an occasional peanut.

Comment

Anything that could help remove a blockage? I am in a ton of pain.
                    Last edited by strom; 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                      Anything that could help remove a blockage? In a ton of pain.
                      If you're in a lot of pain and haven't had a BM in a number of days, you might consider calling your doctor.

Comment

I just PM'd you some ideas.

But, I agree if it's been a few days and there is a lot of pain and you have serious digestive issues, it's time to go to the doctor.
                        My Journal
                        sigpic

Comment

I started taking a heaping teaspoon of Nature Calm and it did constipate me for a few days until my system got used to it. I constipate very easily and have just grown to understand that my body has to adapt.

Comment

That sounds like what I'm going through profdjj. I am going to cut back on my magnesium citrate tablets and just use the powder. The powder seems to be less painful overall right now, but it does absorb nicely. Really not worth calling a doctor, since its not that severe yet. Keeping the possiblity open, but usually after a lot of painkillers and sleeping this type of pain will eventually lead to a movement. Painful and tiring but ends the overall pain. I also am taking mirolax which helps with softening. Don't usually take it, nor the painkillers, but all bets are off when pain gets to a certain level.

edit-starting to improve so I will probably take a nap. And hope for the best.
                            Last edited by strom; 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Slowly getting relief today. Don't feel as stuffed either and no sharp pains. This did set me back on my contest entry, but hopefully this won't happen again if I keep taking Natural Calm magensium citrate. 1 tsp right now is all I can tolerate in a glass. So I do that twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X