No announcement yet.

Sourdough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donna you don't have to have celiac to have a gluten sensitivity.

Comment

I just had that conversation with my doctor yesterday. She has many patients who do not have Celiac but when she puts them on a gluten free diet they do well and feel much better.

Comment

If someone is sensitive to gluten, do you know how long they need to go without gluten to notice a real difference in how they feel?

Comment

Someone mentioned rye as gluten-free. I'm almost 100% certain that rye contains gluten, although it's not as "strong" a gluten as wheat, and the amylases in it can necessitate adding wheat or sourdough starter *if* you want a leavened bread. But even w/o the wheat, there is gluten in it, i believe.
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
            Someone mentioned rye as gluten-free. I'm almost 100% certain that rye contains gluten, although it's not as "strong" a gluten as wheat, and the amylases in it can necessitate adding wheat or sourdough starter *if* you want a leavened bread. But even w/o the wheat, there is gluten in it, i believe.
            This is correct. From Wiki: "Rye flour has a lower gluten content than wheat flour, and contains a higher proportion of soluble fiber."
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Donna View Post
              If someone is sensitive to gluten, do you know how long they need to go without gluten to notice a real difference in how they feel?
              I did several short trials- 10 days, 2 & 3 weeks and didn't show signs of sensitivity. However, after cutting it out for 12 weeks solid (no cheating) I noticed a huge difference.

I make a GlutenFree Sourdough bread for my kids. I adapted the recipe from Bette Hagman's Comfort Food cookbook, the recipe is called Mile High Sourdough bread. It comes from a traditional sourdough starter from rice flour, but it only rises for an hour. It also doesn't have a strong sourdough flavor, but it sure does taste and act like regular wheat bread. NOTHING like gluten free stuff from the store. I mix everything in bulk and now it only takes me about 5 minutes to prepare two loaves.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Just to disagree with everyone here -

If you'd like to try gluten free breads then great. But if trying to cut out bread or even worrying about ingredients too much up an old eating disorder, then I would definitely stick with just moderation.

Just cost benefit analysis. Not having an eating disorder = much more important than slight gluten sensitivity (as I believe you described it).

Comment

Not having an eating disorder = much more important than slight gluten sensitivity
                  Really? Are you kidding? A slight gluten sensitivity can lead to all kinds of probems and avoiding foods or ingredients that may be of concern is not an eating disorer.

Comment

I could have ignored my gluten sensitivity (although back then I didn't know what gluten was) but then I wouldn't have found out I had celiac disese and would have ended up on a road to very ill health.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                      I could have ignored my gluten sensitivity (although back then I didn't know what gluten was) but then I wouldn't have found out I had celiac disese and would have ended up on a road to very ill health.
                      And I actually think being an undiagnosed celiac contributed to my ED, depression, and anxiety.
                      The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

Comment

Thank goodness you found out. I think it is so much more widespread than doctors think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          This is correct. From Wiki: "Rye flour has a lower gluten content than wheat flour, and contains a higher proportion of soluble fiber."
                          As a celiac, I can definitely tell you that rye is not gluten free, nor is spelt, or barley, or many other things people assume are safe (and even try to sell as gluten-free products). There's a basic list here:

Celiac Disease, Gluten Free, Resources for Celiacs
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Thank goodness you found out. I think it is so much more widespread than doctors think.
                            Yes, I am so glad I switched drs. My new family doctor is amazing and diagnosed me quickly. She also encouraged me to go primal and see if my depression and anxiety lessened, and it did.

Today she said she thinks my 2 year old may be celiac, and wants to test him. Poor guy, on one hand he already eats primal so that is good for his gut, but harder to diagnose.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

It can be passed down so he likely is. Even if he isn't or not yet celiac it would still be good for him to avoid gluten.

Comment

It can be passed down so he likely is. Even if he isn't or not yet celiac it would still be good for him to avoid gluten.
                                As I said to my husband today, "Everyone is gluten intollerant."
                                -John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                                X