calories either matter or they don't

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calories either matter or they don't

Ok so I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure this out and I keep finding the same two answers. yes, calories matter and no they don't. Yes you have to count them to lose weight, and No you dont have to count them to lose weight. All of these posts, forums, and articles and I am even more frustrated and confused. They either matter or they don't right? so which is it? I know the TYPES matter but do i need to eat 1500 calories of just meat, veggies, fats or do I just need to make sure i eat meat, veggies, fats and not worry about it?There seems to be no definitive answer.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

reading one of Mark's articles comments, people seem to be just as confused as they had read an article of his saying they do not matter and one saying they do!!It’s the Calories, not the Carbs! | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

It's not as simple as that. For some people they matter, for some they don't. Sometimes they matter depending on what your goal is, sometimes worrying about them is the worst possible thing for your goals.

There is no definitive answer that covers everyone - only what works for you.
      Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

hmm so someone can lose weight not counting and some just have to count forever?

Comment

and as people have said before, how do u properly count? here is a comment i found:

"If you have to count calories, at least do it right: collect your shit and piss and measure their caloric content. You may be amazed at the amount of calories out in your waste."

Comment

Is light a particle or a wave? My personal experience is that there is no yes / no ; black or white answer to do calories count. Here is my take:

If you have a LOT of weight to lose, like I did (I was somewhere near 300 pounds) when you first start out you can start to lose weight by eliminating any number of factors. Cutting out sugar, sodas, carbs, fats even. So EITHER changing quantity OR quality will shed pounds.

Once you get down to around under 20% body fat, you can easily maintain by sticking to an unweighed, unmeasured paleo diet... assuming you don't start eating things like dried fruit, nuts, dates, almond meal cookies.

If you want to get fight club ripped, then yeah you will have to pay attention to BOTH quality AND quantity. At that point look into intermittent fasting and avoid fruit and nuts.

I made some notes about what I have learned in my journey so far here
            Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

remember not all calories are created equal.
              Gretchen in Wyoming
              Princess to the King
              Mom of 3
              Grandma of 1
              Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Comment

so counting calories is best when you are closer to your goal weight? Thanks, i can deal with that fact.

Comment

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. And please, try not to focus solely on weight as an indicator of your health!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rip City View Post
                    Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. And please, try not to focus solely on weight as an indicator of your health!!!
                    I absolutely LOVE that link to batty`s page!!! so awesome and powerful!
                    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

I believe in a both/and relationship here. If you are eating good quality meats and vegetables it can be difficult at times to consume too many calories. So in a sense counting doesn't matter. But if you can find a way to consume 4500 calories without eating pasta, bread, lots of grain, deep fried items, or sugar, then you really have quite the appetite. I am a big guy. 6'4" and topped out at about 370-ish. I am now probably 270-ish. I discovered PB around Christmas after my chiropractor recommended going off of grains around Thanksgiving. I figure I have lost about 30 lbs since Christmas and none of that has been through active calorie restriction. So by that token calories don't matter. I have tracked a few weeks though just to gain perspective on what I am consuming and I have pretty consistently come in at about 1900-2100 calories in a day. Although that is less than my body burns in a day I want for nothing. So in a sense the calories do matter. If I give my body nutritionally dense foods it is happy with much less.
                      Last edited by kbn1; 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses they are helpful!

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the same thing....pre-PB I was on The Daily Plate, tracking calories and fat/carbs/protein. Then I started PB but was still in the mindset of tracking/measuring (force of habit I guess). Between PB and CF I've managed to keep 5 pounds off since December, and have lost about 2 inches from my chest, an inch and a half from my waist and 2 inches from my thighs. For the past month I haven't tracked/counted/measured anything (well except to mix equal parts of my EVOO and red wine vinegar for my salad dressing) and if anything, I think I might be eating less, but I'm also trying to follow the rule of listening to my body and eating when it's hungry and stopping when I'm finished.

And it's really hard to not get discouraged by all of these posts saying "I went primal and lost 20 pounds in a month!". Granted, I didn't eat a horrible diet before I started, and pre-CF I worked out regularly at the gym, but I still carry around the "food baby" bump. I am finally back into my size 6 jeans that I haven't worn for a year (but they are still a little snug) and I've cut back on my fruit/dairy/nut intake, but it's frustrating that I'm not seeing more results. I bust my ass and it feels like I'm hardly getting anywhere, even when I'm tracking and see I'm getting 100g of protein, under 60 grams of carbs and like 70-80 grams of fat...

Comment

Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                            I know the TYPES matter but do i need to eat 1500 calories of just meat, veggies, fats or do I just need to make sure i eat meat, veggies, fats and not worry about it?There seems to be no definitive answer.
                            TYPES is what matters. The definitive answer is it's more about what you're not eating than it is about what you are eating. You're better off simply eating real food and re-learning how to listen to your body. The calories will count themselves; that's what the laws of science tell us. Are you eating for nourishment or eating for fun:

But then a different aspect of eating kicks in: eating for fun instead of simply for nourishment. People eat for two reasons. They eat because they have to in order to provide the energy and the nutrients required for life. This basic level of eating is driven by hunger. And people eat because it is an enjoyable endeavor, a hedonistic endeavor even. If people only ate when they were hungry and quit when they were no longer hungry, there wouldn’t be much of an obesity epidemic. Problem is people confuse the hedonistic urge to eat with hunger. People want a food because it appeals to them hedonistically, and they read this urge to eat as hunger, which it usually isn’t. --Michael R. Eades, MD
                            Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                            and as people have said before, how do u properly count? here is a comment i found:

"If you have to count calories, at least do it right: collect your shit and piss and measure their caloric content. You may be amazed at the amount of calories out in your waste."
                            LOL, I posted that a while back.
                            Last edited by js290; 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

these sorts of questions are not easily answered. i'll give some examples from my own life.

My mother and sister have yo-yo dieted many times, rarely being able to find something sustainable. they do well when they count, as soon as they stop, the 'treats' etc sneak back in and the weight creeps back on until they get upset/frustrated with themselves and back on the diet.

Why does this happen? Emotional eating. They are willing to stay focused and follow their diets when their emotions support that (they are unhappy about their weight, so they do something about it), but once they are thin, they have nothing to focus their emotions into (eating before they are fat; not eating once they are fat), so instead of feeling them, they feed them, and it starts their binge cycles, and up they go.

the real issue here is *not* whether or not they "need to count calories." it's whether or not they are willing to confront their emotional relationship to food. I did this, and after i went through my last binge, i lost my weight and didn't gain it back (during pregnancy, gained weight, but lost it all too and i'm fitter than ever).

for me, counting calories can be an effective tool for determining when something isn't working right. EG, DH and i were feeling light headed rather frequently, so we did a few days of calorie counting and looking at our percentages, and read some materials and decided to increase our caloric intake (in particular increasing daily protein intake, and adding a weekly carb "refeed" -- not grains, using kumara). once we did this, the lightheadedness went away and we were fine. no need to count now, we know how to eat for our vitality.

So, when it comes to loosing weight or wanting to fix a problem, you have to 1. figure out what you should and shouldn't eat; and 2. figure out the amounts that *you* need to eat. once you have that sussed out, then it will align.

Comment

Working...
                              X