Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Coconut Oil a Solid or Liquid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Coconut Oil a Solid or Liquid?

    So I was going to buy coconut oil at Whole Foods the other day but when I found the 365 brand it looked solid for some reason.... I always though coconut oil was supposed to be a liquid? And I'm pretty sure it wasn't coconut butter because it clearly said "coconut OIL".

  • #2
    Coconut oil is solid below 24 degrees Celsius.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

    Comment


    • #3
      okay thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes mine is sometimes solid but once the house warms it becomes a liquid.
        My paleo food photos

        Comment


        • #5
          Calgary gets about 2 months a year of melty coconut oil. Those in hotter climates like to keep it in the fridge if they want solid oil. I prefer solid oil just because you can only do so much with melty oil, but you can always melt solid oil. The one advantage of melty oil is if you want to rub it all over yourself but you don't want to have to let it cool after melting it in a saucepan or whatever. Not that I do that.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

          Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
            The one advantage of melty oil is if you want to rub it all over yourself but you don't want to have to let it cool after melting it in a saucepan or whatever. Not that I do that.
            It melts in your hands pretty quickly, so you don't have to melt it in a pan to rub it all over yourself. It also melts into hot water, in case you feel like taking an oil-enriched bath (and booby trapping the tub for the next person who showers).

            Comment


            • #7
              I like the solid because I use it for cooking and then I take some out and put it in a smaller container and use it for my hair and skin. YOu smell like coconut but only for a few minutes but its great for my hair which is locked. The only down thing I 've found with the oil is that on high temps, it burns or flies everywhere so only use a little bit.
              Health is Wealth!

              Comment


              • #8
                I was planning on getting coconut oil to make some of the "bark" I've been hearing about, and also for health/beauty purposes. I'm really not sure if I'm going to keep it refrigerated or not. Haven't decided yet. It's kinda weird that it changes consistency like that, lol


                Comment


                • #9
                  Most of time it will be solid. But don't worry, it takes just a hint of heat and it melts super fast. I use Omega Nutrition certified organic Coconut oil. One of the best oils to cook with.

                  Have a healthy day.
                  Marc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Melantha View Post
                    It melts in your hands pretty quickly, so you don't have to melt it in a pan to rub it all over yourself. It also melts into hot water, in case you feel like taking an oil-enriched bath (and booby trapping the tub for the next person who showers).
                    LOL - I've booby trapped the shower for myself a few times. But yes, it does melt pretty quickly in the hands - I slather it on myself after showers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by greatdanelover View Post
                      I was planning on getting coconut oil to make some of the "bark" I've been hearing about, and also for health/beauty purposes. I'm really not sure if I'm going to keep it refrigerated or not. Haven't decided yet. It's kinda weird that it changes consistency like that, lol
                      Not really any weirder than water freezing at 32deg F, chocolate at about 98, or salt at 1474deg F. Different materials, different freezing points.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One of the most visceral joys of living Primal is watching a big wad of coconut oil melt in a few seconds in a hot skillet.
                        carl's cave

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                          Not really any weirder than water freezing at 32deg F, chocolate at about 98, or salt at 1474deg F. Different materials, different freezing points.
                          I guess you're right. I guess I find it weird because it solidifies when it's so warm (to me). Still, weird or not, I'm getting some on payday ^-^


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Melantha View Post
                            It melts in your hands pretty quickly, so you don't have to melt it in a pan to rub it all over yourself. It also melts into hot water, in case you feel like taking an oil-enriched bath (and booby trapping the tub for the next person who showers).
                            Yes, it's pretty chilly here so I have some in a coffee cup on my desk to rub on the eczema I get on my fingers. It's solid but when I reach in for some it comes off liquid.
                            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by carlh View Post
                              One of the most visceral joys of living Primal is watching a big wad of coconut oil melt in a few seconds in a hot skillet.
                              Yup. I like to lick the spoon after the blob of oil melts off.

                              Stabby, I didn't realize you were another Albertan. We should have a primal picnic in the Rockies as a meetup for the grok-folks in the province.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                              Owly's Journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X