BPA Coconut milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPA Coconut milk

I drink Thai Kitchen full fat coconut milk daily. This article bummed me out:

"Avoid canned foods with the highest BPA concentrations: coconut milk, soup, meat."
    Read more: Study: Packaged food raises levels of bisphenol A

Anybody have a good brand that maybe isn't canned, or is at least BPA free?

The grocery store coconut milk is NASTY. Holy hell that stuff is rank. And the coconut milk at the "health food" store is overpriced. So I just get plain unadulterated creamed coconut and mix it with hot water, then let it cool. Coconut milk!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Where does one obtain plain unadulterated creamed coconut? B/c I couldn't care less about the water part ...
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I "make" coconut milk with Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut (from amazon). The flavor does not even compare with the store swill.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

TR named a good brand. I get this from the "ethnic" section in my supermarket Coconut Cream - Buy Grace Foods, Inc. Looks like the online store is out of stock at the moment, although they do have some coconut milk powder.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Native Forest is BPA-free. I actually like the taste a bit better than Thai Kitchen, although the consistency tends to be less... consistent. That was a weird sentence.
            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up. I am on my last can of coconut milk and will be switching to non-BPA alternatives. I can get frozen fresh coconut in pouches at the oriental store. I guess I can make my own by blending the heck out of it and straining it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                Thanks for bringing this up. I am on my last can of coconut milk and will be switching to non-BPA alternatives. I can get frozen fresh coconut in pouches at the oriental store. I guess I can make my own by blending the heck out of it and straining it, right?
                Me too. I've been living on the stuff! I did buy some creamed coconut but wasn't sure on what to do with it so i've just been eating it off the spoon!

Comment

I've been using Tropical Traditions coconut creme. Just add water and voila, coconut milk. There is likely still BPA in the lid liner, but I'm hoping the contact between food and lid is minimal.

And might I just add: when is the US going to catch up and ban this wretched hormone disruptor? It's absurd that it's still lining most cans.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                    TR named a good brand. I get this from the "ethnic" section in my supermarket Coconut Cream - Buy Grace Foods, Inc. Looks like the online store is out of stock at the moment, although they do have some coconut milk powder.
                    Is it in a box or bag? I have no idea what I am looking for. I have been using the canned Thai kitchen.
                    Jillian
                    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
                    • 6lbs
                    • 1% BMI
                    • 1" in my waist
                    • 2.5" at my belly button
                    • 1" in my hips

Comment

I imagine that all the cans not using BPA are using something else, something that we don't yet have proof is killing us. Banning BPA probably just means replacing it. Ultimately, we need another solution, and it's probably one that means less preserved food bought from the store, as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some coconut milk.
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Yeah this is why I preferred Native Forest but now it has added sugar, or a higher sugar percentage than before. Or maybe it's a misprint? I'd like to solve this Native Forest 8g of sugar issue..

For now I get the 365 Brand Coconut milk. Hope it's not too high in BPA .

Comment

Working...
                        X