Hair Falling Out!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Falling Out!?

Hey everyone! I have been primal for 2 weeks. I just got done running sprints, showering, and then I started blow drying my hair and as I was running my hands through my hair, I was getting a bunch in my hand!! Has anyone lost hair while living this lifestyle?? I have NEVER had this problem before and I am extremely freaked out!! Please help!!
    My Journal

Actually I had the opposite happen. I've had hair loss most of my life. With eating more fat and supplementing with fish oil, the problem has greatly reduced.

Maybe you need more Omega-3's?

Comment

I used to lose my hair in what felt like large quantities. For me getting my hormones balanced and eating a really clean diet helped my hair stay on my head.
      http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
      My journal

Comment

Are you losing weight? That can trigger 'telogen effluvium' type shedding - Telogen effluvium (hair shedding). DermNet NZ

Are you eating enough of a variety of organ meats and vegetables in order to make sure you're meeting your nutritional needs? Grains, especially fortified ones, may have actually provided those nutrients before. I also think supplementing with magnesium can't hurt.

If it continues or gets excessive, you should get it checked out by a doctor -- sex hormones, ferritin/iron, thyroid stuff.

Also - blow drying your hair regularly is not good for it

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am currently at 133 lbs, 5 ft 6 inches. I had a baby 4 months ago. I should probably try to get a better variety of veggies in. I tend to eat the same things every day. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it gets better. It sucks because I feel so good eating this way so I really hope I can figure it out!!
          My Journal

Comment

Are you eating a lot of fish? Have heard that can cause hair loss. A friend of mine used to eat 4-6 oz of broiled salmon daily. After several months of this she was losing hair in clumps. She cut way back on the salmon and her hair stopped falling out.

Comment

Originally posted by RennieVan View Post
              Are you eating a lot of fish? Have heard that can cause hair loss. A friend of mine used to eat 4-6 oz of broiled salmon daily. After several months of this she was losing hair in clumps. She cut way back on the salmon and her hair stopped falling out.
              Was she eating farmed or wild-caught salmon?

Comment

You had a baby 4 months ago? Then this has nothing to do with Primal, you are going through something completely common after pregnancy and is nothing to worry about. (one of those things they don't tell you about?)
                Hair Loss After Pregnancy You are right on target for the time that it tends to hit the hardest.
                Good thing is, you've started eating primal which means better nutrition and lots of protein.
                Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                  You had a baby 4 months ago? Then this has nothing to do with Primal, you are going through something completely common after pregnancy and is nothing to worry about. (one of those things they don't tell you about?)
                  Hair Loss After Pregnancy You are right on target for the time that it tends to hit the hardest.
                  Good thing is, you've started eating primal which means better nutrition and lots of protein.
                  Yes when I read had a baby that's what I thought is reason for hair loss. Also can't attribute hair loss to doing a program for 2 weeks unless its something so extreme and then perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post

Yep! What she said!

I lost a ton of it, to the point that I ended up having to bob my long hair. I freaked until I knew the reasons behind it. This was eleven years ago, but that's neither here nor there.... Since I began eating primally, my hair, skin and nails are better than they've been in years. I wish I'd made this change back then! I'm guessing I'd have less wrinkles.
                    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Oh my gosh I feel so much better. I know doing primal for only 2 weeks was probably not the culprit, but it was a pretty drastic change from how I had been living my life before (CW).

I forget that my body has basically been to hell and back with pregnancy, labor, and then recovery. And four months is a short period of time.

Thanks everyone!!
                      My Journal

Comment

If that were the case I should have no hair. I eat mainly wild caught fish 7-10 times per week. Normally 5 oz raw weight or 4 oz cooked. I've been doing this for years. I also doubt that 2 weeks of Primal eating would cause this.

My bet would be more on the baby you had 4 months ago. I would discuss this with your doctor sooner rather than later.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
                          My Journal

Comment

PUFA.... no joke... primal PUFAs with walnuts/avocado/sardines etc.... thickened up my hair and cleared up my face...protein seems to be key for my nails but hair and skin i love be some PUFA/MUFAs and starch...start the hating now lol i eat lotsa sat fat too lol

red palm oil is amazing as well
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

What everyone else said about 2 weeks being far too short a time for the diet to affect your hair, and post-pregnancy hair loss.

Personal experience fwiw... I have had thinning hair since my early 20s, so by now (38) it looks pretty well thinned. Primal made my scalp clear up spontaneously for the first time since my teens. Then my hair stopped falling out... then it went through a brief phase of all falling out at once, which presumably was the telogen effluvium thing related to the dietary change and weight loss... and now, 10 months in, it's settled down. I'm losing less than ever before, I have hardly any split ends any more, much thicker individual strands, and I think maybe some regrowth. It's hard to believe, after 20+ years of only managing to slow down the loss, but it does look that way...

Comment

Working...
                              X