Craving CHOCOLATE non-stop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craving CHOCOLATE non-stop

This is my second serious (read, longer than 8 hours) attempt at being primal. The first attempt lasted three months and I dropped 3-4 sizes. I fell off the wagon so-to-speak because I got bored with recipes and couldn't find/afford all grassfed/organic.

Re the second attempt, I'm on day 4 and I have been craving chocolate non-stop for a day and a half I was definitely a carb-addict pre-primal and have some issues with depression and emotional eating. Also, I HATE dark chocolate, the creamier the chocolate the better.

Any tips/advice? Up my fat intake? Know of any primal chocolate substitutes?

Lindt 70% is m favorite (and cheap) brand right now. I never used to be a dark chocolate person but now I can't get enough of 70% stuff. I say give it time and your taste buds will adjust. I recommend coconut oil if you can get it to satisfy cravings. Peanut butter also works (alot of people here dislike peanut products, but I think it is good every now and then and especially for transitioning. Also look into whole fat, plain yogurt. It has fat, some sugar, and protein along with probiotics!

Comment

You may be deficient in magnesium (most of us are.) Chocolate is high in magnesium.

Try 200-600 mg of magnesium citrate and hour before bed (it's a relaxant & will help your sleep, too.) Take as much as your body will tolerate. Too much will give you loose stools.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Honestly, if you don't like dark chocolate, you're probably craving fat and sugar more than actual chocolate. I would say indulge the fat side of the craving (try cream, coconut products, or butter) and go cold-turkey on the sugar for a week. After a week or two, you might find that dark chocolate is more appealing, and you can try that as an occasional treat.

Comment

When I have a chocolate craving, and fortunately that happens very seldom nowadays, I put 1 T. butter and 1 T. coconut oil in a bowl, nuke for 10 seconds to soften, add a tsp. of dark cocoa powder and a tsp. of crystal erithritol, with a tsp. of vanilla, stir it all up and enjoy. Maybe 4 grams of carbs and a whole lot of healthy fat. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Connor- I have been eating whole fat organic vanilla yogurt with apple and cinnamon and that helps a bit. I have been using a lot of coconut milk in cooking but haven't bought oil. I am actually not a coconut loving- hate the texture of raw, and the taste makes me think I'm eating suntan lotion lol. I'm surprised I like the flavor of the milk (I made the marinated/grilled kale from MDA).
            Re peanut butter, I'd like to try to avoid it, but if I really need something I'll try it, or maybe almond butter.
            I would like to enjoy dark chocolate, hopefully one day.

DragonFly- excellent point re the magnesium, I will have to buy some. I was soaking in Epsom salts too but I ran out, will have to buy more.

Malantha- I was thinking the same thing! I'll try to up my fat intake. I also find when I'm hungry I crave carbs, I guess because my body is still depending on carbs for energy?

Sharonll- sounds yummy! I'll have to try it

Last edited by RobyRey; 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Try the Lindt 70% it is so creamy.

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
              1/4 cup cocoa powder
              2 tbsp honey/maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
              chopped toasted nuts (I love hazelnut, can we say NUTELLA!!!)

Mix up the coconut oil and cocoa powder until smooth and add the sweetener and vanilla. Fold in the nuts, and scrape into a dish. Level it and chill until firm. Cut and enjoy primal fudge. Good for fat intake and wicked chocolate cravings. Just don't eat the whole pan... or you'll regret it. lol
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

Ooohhh I LOVED Nutella pre-primal. We have a family recipe for crepes, and crepes and Nutella were my go to breakfast on weekends (horrible I know)

That sounds SO yummy!! I am a little worried about the carb content in the honey, though I prefer to use it over other sugar sources because it's natural. I'm trying to shed some inches/dress sizes and tone up before bathing suit season (ugh)

Edited to add: 70% Lindt is creamy??!! I don't believe it

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                  Try the Lindt 70% it is so creamy.

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
                  1/4 cup cocoa powder

Mix up the coconut oil and cocoa powder until smooth and add the sweetener and vanilla. Fold in the nuts, and scrape into a dish. Level it and chill until firm. Cut and enjoy primal fudge. Good for fat intake and wicked chocolate cravings. Just don't eat the whole pan... or you'll regret it. lol
                  Mmmmmmmm that sounds heavenly!!!
                  "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                  Currant: 136 lbs
                  Goal: 125 lbs
                  11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
                    1/4 cup cocoa powder

I've been doing this - I microwave the coconut oil for a bit since it's still a little solid and mix it with the cocoa powder, some almond flour and liquid stevia. Then I spread a spoonful of nut butter (almond, walnut, or macadamia nut) mixed with a little bit of melted butter along the bottom of a small bowl before pouring the "fudge" mixture on top of it. I stick it in the freezer for an hour or so and have one heck of a dessert similar to a peanut butter cup. It's even better with chopped walnuts in the fudge layer, but I wiped those out long ago and won't let myself get a new supply for a while.

YUM!!
                    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Wow, GoJenGo, that also sounds amazing! I must invest in some Stevia. Honey was my go-to sweetener then I looked up the carb content :/

Comment

Cocoa contains theobromine and dlpa which have a fairly profound effect on neurotransmitters, especially dopamine. This could be one of the reasons for your minor addiction.

The healthiest dark chocolate bars are the organic ones with 85 percent cacao and only 6 grams of sugar per 40 gram serving. I love these though I have not had one since starting on my strict primal-like diet a month ago(no grains or added sugar, but a little dairy from my favorite and very therapeutic Erivan yogurt). These chocolate bars will certainly give most of us a needed and fairly lengthly boost on a sluggish sleep deprived day.
                        Last edited by morganpmiller; 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobyRey View Post
                          Ooohhh I LOVED Nutella pre-primal. We have a family recipe for crepes, and crepes and Nutella were my go to breakfast on weekends (horrible I know)

That sounds SO yummy!! I am a little worried about the carb content in the honey, though I prefer to use it over other sugar sources because it's natural. I'm trying to shed some inches/dress sizes and tone up before bathing suit season (ugh)

Edited to add: 70% Lindt is creamy??!! I don't believe it
                          It's very little honey for the whole batch, but try stevia drops if you are really trying to avoid extra carbs.

IT IS CREAMY!!! Truely, I hate crumbly, awful dark bitter chocolate. 70% Lindt is like milk chocolate to me now. It's creamy and smooth with fruity notes. It was a tiny bit bitter at first, but even when it was a bit bitter it was never unpaletteable and it killed chocolate cravings. Still does, in less than 3 squares. I have NEVER eaten 4, and I struggle with disordered eating, including binge-purge habits. (Haven't purged in a long long time, and haven't binged for a while.)
                          The more I see the less I know for sure.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

I do enjoy dark chocolate but my favourite craving killer is to make a very simple chocolate ganache by melting together dark chocolate with heavy cream and butter (roughly equal amounts choc and cream to half amount butter and blast in microwave for 30s) and pouring the mixture over chilled or frozen berries. Yum!
                            Bee
                            Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                            Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                            My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

Last night I took hershey's pure cocoa powder and added it to So Delicious brand Coconut milk in a blender. Amazing. It was creamy - a tad sweet, but mostly super chocolatey. give it a shot!
                              ad astra per aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X