Silly argument, need some answers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly argument, need some answers

Well, I was talking with a friend the other day. According to him, corn is a vegetable.

Can you all give me reasons why it is a grain and not a vegetable?

From Mark, himself Corn Is Not a Vegetable | Mark's Daily Apple

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn
    Georgette

Comment

A Vegetable would have seeds..... Corn Kernel is the seed. Also if the Kernel is the seed then where is the Vegetable. That is because the Kernel is the seed of the grass called CORN.
      Calorie Counter

Comment

From wikipedia:
        The noun vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed. This typically means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant
        "Other than a ... seed"; corn is a seed. That's actually a less-strict definition than others use, for me a vegetable is the leaf, stem, or flower of a plant; anything else might be a tuber, root, fruit, seed, etc.

Comment

Corn: Vegetable, Fruit or Grain? - NYTimes.com

Comment

From a practical standpoint, it also has a carb load more in line with grains than with leafy or cruciferous veggies. So regardless of what course you serve it as, the effect it has on your body is more like eating rice than eating spinach.

Comment

Botanically, a fruit is a seed receptacle, a grain is a seed, and a vegetable is other parts of the plant (leaves, stem, root, etc.). So peppers and tomatoes are, botanically, fruits (berries, actually), while celery and lettuce are definitely vegetables. Corn would then be a grain, since we primarily eat the seed part. Nutritionally-speaking, corn is a high-starch food, so it lumped with grains and potatoes, as far as its macronutrients go. Primally-speaking, corn contains chemicals that inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals and can cause deficiencies if eaten in large quantities without being properly prepared, and so is treated the same as any other mineral-impeding food, like other grains.

If your friend wants to consider green peas and corn to be a vegetable, that's his prerogative. If he needs to be right about this, just nod and smile and leave him to his convictions while you get healthy going primal.

Comment

Primally-speaking, corn contains chemicals that inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals and can cause deficiencies if eaten in large quantities without being properly prepared, and so is treated the same as any other mineral-impeding food, like other grains.

This has me a lot less psyched about my csa share this year. The corn was my favorite part.

Comment

Unless your staple is corn and comprises a large portion of your diet, a few cobs slathered in butter ain't gonna kill you.
                  Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                    Well, I was talking with a friend the other day. According to him, corn is a vegetable.

Can you all give me reasons why it is a grain and not a vegetable?
                    I think others covered the grain v vegetable thing. Now how can we convince you to find some smarter friends?

If your friend thinks that eggs are dairy, just run away.
                    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Corn is a grain.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                        If your friend thinks that eggs are dairy, just run away.
                        Tell him to go milk a chicken and report back.

Comment

Then send him off to milk a brown cow for chocolate milk.

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                            Unless your staple is corn and comprises a large portion of your diet, a few cobs slathered in butter ain't gonna kill you.
                            This. Yeah, corn is a grain, but it isn't nearly as bad as wheat. It usually is well tolerated in gluten-sensitive individuals, and corn-on-the-cob has a comparable glycemic load to a sweet potato, and a lower glycemic load than rice. I would never suggest that it should be a dietary staple, but the occasional grilled ear at a summer BBQ is not something I'd worry about as long as the rest of your diet is dialed in and you're not too insulin resistant.
                            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                              Tell him to go milk a chicken and report back.
                              Actually... you can milk a chicken... Its what its called when you collect sperm from a rooster to artificially inseminate hens Gotta love bein' a farm girl LOL
                              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Working...
                              X