Acid Reflux and Primal eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid Reflux and Primal eating?

I was seriously hoping this would go away with primal eating. However, I still have horrible burps and burning in my throat after I eat. I had been taking OTC Prilosec for awhile, but came off of it because I was trying to come off all medication. I think I'm going to have to go back on. It's almost unbearable, and I'm afraid I'm damaging my esophagus lining. Has anyone had any experience with this? How did you fix it? Thanks!

About a year before going primal I read "Primal Body Primal Mind" by yeah, I don't remember. One thing the author mentioned was that heart burn etc is often caused by a lack of stomach acid and taking anti-acids actually makes it worse. She suggested taking suppliments to increase acid. Not saying it will work for you but something to think about.

I have had heartburn twice since going primal. Both times were after I ate non-primal foods. I'm sorry to hear you are not having similar results.

Comment

Are you having caffeine, chocolate, or citrus? These are 3 biggies, that when I gave them up, life becasme much more comfortable. Oh yeah, carbonated is a big one too. Sorry to hear of your problem. I can so relate. I hope it clears up quickly.

Comment

I would also recommend looking into the lack of stomach acid problem. I've had friends who have had a lot of luck with that. I don't recall what supplements they took however.
        "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Comment

Apple cider vinegar before meals seems to work for me, as Canio6 mentioned, you may need more acid in your stomach.

Comment

Perhaps a Candida overgrowth is contributing to your problems. I was having heartburn problems even after going pb, until I started taking something to kill the yeast (Candex... Pure Essence, Candex - iHerb.com has the best prices I've been able to find). Drinking ACV (organic, raw and unfiltered!!! Not White House distilled) has really helped, as well as eating fermented and/or cultured foods (sour kraut and pickles, kombucha, and occasionally cultured buttermilk mostly).

Comment

My GERD cleared up within weeks of reducing sugar intake (I did a reduced carb intake for 3 months before I found this site on a crosslink from LewRockwell.com). I was told by my gastroenterologist (at the time) that mine was as bad as he'd ever seen after an upper GI and barium contrast... and was on Prevacid for almost a year before I said to hell with it and stopped taking it. I then simply paid attention to what I ate and took note of symptom occurrence. I discovered that any food dense in sugars (refined ones) triggered it.

Since you're Primal, and therefore refined carbs are already off your menu, you should try the other thing that brought me relief while I was tracking down my triggers: apple cider vinegar. A tablespoon or two of the unfiltered ACV was enough to kill all but the very worst attack.
              Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
              Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
              Current weight: 210.8 lbs
              Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
              ChooseMyPlate

Comment

When you come off those drugs, the acid reflux is horrible for a while. Don't be tempted to go back on them. It will never end. I was 12 years on them, finally off them after eliminating gluten - but eliminating them wasn't without enduring some pain, unfortunately.

One big thing that helped me is never drinking any liquids immediately before, during, or after a meal. - No diluting of stomach acid.

Three supplements that helped me:

Apple Cider Vinegar in pill form. (Easier on tooth enamel.) I took 2 with every meal.

Enzymedia's Digest Gold digestive enzymes. I took them with every meal.

Renew Life's Heartburn Stop.

Sorry you are dealing with this. I know how horrible it can be. I wish you the best!

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyH View Post
                  Apple cider vinegar before meals seems to work for me, as Canio6 mentioned, you may need more acid in your stomach.
                  My mom does this. Night, and day difference. =)
                  http://freethinkingcavewoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into the ACV and some supplements. It's horribly painful as most of you know. I occasionally indulge in a diet carbonated beverage and dark chocolate so that could be triggering it I suppose? I'd hate to give up my dark chocolate tho lol. I have some ACV at home. I will have to start drinking some if I can stomach it and if not the pills I suppose.

Comment

I have had GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease, aka acid reflux) for about 6 years. I started on Rx Prilosec, then as it got worse moved on to Nexium, and when that no longer helped I was prescribed Aciphex, which I still take. If it’s acid reflux you have, it’s usually caused by a weakening of the esophageal sphincter (muscle at the end of the esophagus that closes & prevents stomach acid from entering the esophagus) and/or an excess of acid in the stomach. Think of it this way- your stomach has many tiny “pumps” that inject hydrochloric acid into the stomach for digestion. If they’re pumping too much acid, drugs like Prilosec, Nexium, & Aciphex shut down some of the pumps to reduce the amount of acid present. If normal antacids like Rolaids, Tums, & Alka Seltzer offer temporary relief but the burn comes back, chances are you have too much stomach acid. You can try some of the solutions mentioned by others in this thread, but if they don’t work then you should see your doctor about it so your condition can be positively identified and a treatment determined. Once it’s under control and your body has reached Primal homeostasis you may be able to come off whatever Rx has been prescribed- which is what I’m hoping to do soon. I have zero problems eating any foods (Primal or otherwise) as long as I take the Aciphex, but if I miss it for a few days then the little demon in my chest with the flamethrower goes to work on me.
                      Best of luck and I hope you get it sorted out…

Comment

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. It has come on in the 2-3 weeks I have been Primal. It is kinda scary for me. I have never had heartburn or all this burping before. I am going to try the ACV. I am also on Metformin so maybe that is why?
                        I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

Neanderthal, I have been diagnosed with acid reflux and was on Aciphex for a year or two. I eventually tried OTC Prilosec, and it worked just as well as the Aciphex at a much much cheaper cost as I'm sure you know. I was hoping I would one day be able to come off of it because I hate any chemical that's in my body that's unnatural. However, I'd rather be on the pill than risk esophageal cancer. :/

Comment

My acid reflux went away with primal eating, but since my muscle at the top of my stomach is pretty much shot to hell, if I bend over too much, or sleep with my head below my stomach, I still get heartburn. When I'm awake and active, I have no problems. Hopefully the muscle will repair it's self...

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
                              Neanderthal, I have been diagnosed with acid reflux and was on Aciphex for a year or two. I eventually tried OTC Prilosec, and it worked just as well as the Aciphex at a much much cheaper cost as I'm sure you know. I was hoping I would one day be able to come off of it because I hate any chemical that's in my body that's unnatural. However, I'd rather be on the pill than risk esophageal cancer. :/
                              Yep- Prilosec is way cheaper than Aciphex, but luckily being military that’s not a factor for me. I’m no expert, but my recommendation would be stay on the Rx till you’re established in the PB way of eating (several months at least) then try coming off the drug. I’ve only been Primal for about 3 weeks, and that’s my plan...

Comment

Working...
                              X