Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my nose run whenever I'm done eating??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my nose run whenever I'm done eating??

I swear it's the weirdest thing...I actually get made fun of for it by my friends. But yeah, whenever I'm full/done eating, my nose starts to run just a little bit and I get the sniffles. What's up with that?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Are you eating spicy food?

It could possibly also be a reaction to dairy?

Comment

I have that reaction too, sometimes. Usually with hot(and I mean just out of the oven hot, not spicy) food. Especially soup...Tissue and spoon, thats me
      I have a stuffed nose most of the time, so I figure its because I don't breath while I eat? I dunno... lol
      Calm the f**k down.

Comment

It's any food, whether warm/cold spicy/mild whatever. I had scrambled eggs with salsa and avocado for breakfast, along with some coconut milk, and it happened. Just a second ago I had some 90% dark chocolate and it happened too. Perhaps it is just a mystery lol
        --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
        --Hyperlithic

Comment

Clymb, we must be related. It has definitely not gone away as I've switched to Primal, and it has nothing to do with what I eat (wings? runny nose. Fried egg? runny nose. steak? runny nose.)

I hope someone can tell you (us) what this malady is all about!
          6f4i, 40 years old, 85" wingspan, "big build"

Feb 28 2011: 326 lbs (start date)
          Mar 28 2011: 299 lbs
          Apr 30 2011: 285 lbs
          May 31 2011: 274 lbs
          Jun 30 2011: 262 lbs
          Jul 31 2011: 252 lbs
          Sep 30 2011: 241 lbs
          Nov 30 2011: 238 lbs

Goal: 220 lbs

Comment

That's weird, I just read about this happening for the first time this week in the paper in a People's Pharmacy column and then I see your post on it, same week.

Runny Nose Ruins Dinner - The People's Pharmacy®

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad1 View Post
              That's weird, I just read about this happening for the first time this week in the paper in a People's Pharmacy column and then I see your post on it, same week.

Runny Nose Ruins Dinner - The People's Pharmacy®
              Interesting--I started looking up some more "gustatory rhinitis" articles after reading this. Mostly they say it is related to hot and spicy foods though, and is a non-allergy issue. I guess they don't really know why it happens...weird. I want to get to the bottom of this mystery! lol
              --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

eat food, get blood flowing, nost snot loosens up...??
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have it too. I figured it was just me. Glad I'm not the only one. It's not really bad, just sort of annoying sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    eat food, get blood flowing, nost snot loosens up...??
                    Sounds plausible to me.

I get this fairly often, although it only runs a tiny bit, not like streams of snot coming out of my nose. Usually only happens with warm food, but I just grab a tissue and keep eating.

Comment

I get a runny nose, start to sweat, get red faced, and start crying after my meals. Although I think it has something to do with all the jalapenos and habeneros I eat.

Comment

I used to get a runny nose all the time! since I stopped eating all the "crap" I haven't had the need for tissues.. I do "believe" it's "allergy" related though, only cause since I went to get my allergy blood test done and found I was allergic to Dairy and wheat, and eggs and sigh ... pineapple I cut the remaining eggs and sighh pineapple.. out of my diet and low and behold .. no more runny nose .. .. try cutting the eggs out of your diet?
                        "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                        Currant: 136 lbs
                        Goal: 125 lbs
                        11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                          I swear it's the weirdest thing...I actually get made fun of for it by my friends. But yeah, whenever I'm full/done eating, my nose starts to run just a little bit and I get the sniffles. What's up with that?
                          Post-nasal drip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the same problem.

Comment

It's more likely your vagus nerve working. The vagus nerve is responsible for sending gastric juices to your stomach. If you've eaten enough food then a runny nose often indicates it's time to stop eating.

I didn't experience this phenomenon until after I'd had weight loss surgery and became full very fast. If I start sniffling now, most people who know me can say, "time to stop eating!" We joke about it but it is an annoying "feature" of our bodies.

Comment

You would think its connected somehow, digestive juices start in the mouth right? You salivate over a something on the grill that smells yummy, does your nose start to run then? I have had a salivary gland removed when I was younger, (it was filled with stones/pus long story)..so I usually have a somewhat drier mouth, I do get a runny nose sometimes when eating, but usually if I am overly excited about the meal, or it is super spicy. Odd, never really thought about it though. Do you get a runny nose during anything else that you can put a finger on..lol?

Comment

Working...
                              X