Coconut Cream made me sick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Cream made me sick?

I warmed and mixed 2 Tbs of Tropical Traditions coconut cream (no sugar added, right) with 6 squares (only about 7 carb grams) of Green and Blacks 85% chocolate last night and then cooled it and ate it. I felt awful this morning, sick to my stomach. I eat the chocolate several times a week but this is the first time with the coconut. I see the ingredients is just coconut so do you think it was just too much oil in one sitting? Anyone else use coconut cream?

I just finished eating a couple of "fat bombs" with a cup of coffee. (Tropical Traditions coconut cream concentrate blended with some extra blobs of straight coconut oil and some vanilla extract, then frozen in ice-cube trays.) It didn't make me sick when I started eating them, but I'm used to eating lots of coconut oil and coconut milk. You might want to start with a smaller quantity.

Comment

Do you eat coconut in other ways? Some of us have trouble with it in various forms. Actually, I seem to have sensitised myself! Bear this in mind, but def try some smaller uantities first

Comment

It is very high in fiber so it can be harsh. Also, I just got sick from raw cocoa powder because it has mold in it sometimes and is also super high in fiber.

Comment

I have had problems with the coconut water straight out of a fresh coconut. It sent both the hubby and me to the bathroom more than once. It was not a young green coconut. I am wondering if we would have heated the liquid first if we would have had the problems.

Comment

Also bear in mind that coconut oil is a laxative. If you don't eat a lot of coconut products (particularly high-fat ones) regularly, it might take a little bit to get used to them.

Comment

i can't eat coconut cream or milk. it makes me feel like throwing up. in fact, just thinking about eating it makes me want to throw up. i don't think i like the coconut flavor or something.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckarie View Post
                i can't eat coconut cream or milk. it makes me feel like throwing up. in fact, just thinking about eating it makes me want to throw up. i don't think i like the coconut flavor or something.
                I haven't gotten to the feel like throwing up stage, but I have noticed this too. What surprised me is that I like the flavor of coconut oil. But using coconut milk did engage a bit of a "yuck" response. I wonder why...
                42 yo female; 5'8"
                Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by mobettabody View Post
                  I warmed and mixed 2 Tbs of Tropical Traditions coconut cream (no sugar added, right) with 6 squares (only about 7 carb grams) of Green and Blacks 85% chocolate last night and then cooled it and ate it. I felt awful this morning, sick to my stomach. I eat the chocolate several times a week but this is the first time with the coconut. I see the ingredients is just coconut so do you think it was just too much oil in one sitting? Anyone else use coconut cream?
                  Chocolate contains theobromine which can be poisonous in large quantities (some people can be more sensitive than others):
                  Theobromine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Theobromine poisoning in humans? - WrongDiagnosis.com

Comment

I'm glad you posted this. On two different occassions in the last month, during the day at work I wasn't passing any gas or going to the bathroom, but I felt like I really needed to. I felt terrible. The only common denominator I could come up with was I had eaten some ice cream made with coconut milk from Whole Foods the night before on each occassion. As good as it was, it definitely wasn't worth the price I paid the next day!
                    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Comment

Coconut milk makes me very nauseous immediately after eating it. The weird thing is, when I used to just have it every now and then, I was fine. When i went primal i started having it about once aweek and that was when I started reacting to it.
                      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                      Harold Whitman

Comment

Makes me nauseous after eating it too. I like it, and I love coconut in general, but it makes me feel icky inside after I ingest anything more than a little little bit of it.

Comment

I drank a can of coconut cream (70% coconut, 30% water) along with some protein powder a couple of days ago for the first time. I felt nauseous within 20 minutes and had diarrhoea about 2-3 hours later, which lasted until the following day.

Maybe I need to slowly work up to that kind of volume, but someone mentioned above that coconut oil is a laxative - is that something your body can / should get used to?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckarie View Post
                            Same here - it's just not for me. I've got no problem with coconut oil (except cooking eggs in it - never, ever again), but thinking about drinking coconut milk brings up such a visceral disdain for it, and actually drinking it makes me want to puke. I've got extra-sensitive senses, though, so anything that feels and tastes gross is even worse.

Comment

I have the same problem but have no adverse reactions to other coconut things. I have been making ice cream with this stuff for ages and have had no issues. Since I've gone fully primal, the stuff makes me super nauseous even when I dilute it! It fills my stomach up with air so I'm burping and doubled over with cramps, and then diahrrea. I looked at the ingredient list and guess what's in it? Xanthan Gum. Could Xanthan Gum Sensitivity be Complicating your Celiac Disease Recovery? - Celiac.com

You might check the additives for your coconut milk. I know you can make it from dried coconut, I'm going to start going that route.
                              My Blog

Food Photo Diary

Comment

Working...
                              X