Fat Malabsorption?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Malabsorption?

Prior to starting PB, my dietary fat intake was around 20-25g per day, roughly 15% of my calories for the day. Now I'm eating an average of 90g fat, 55% caloric intake.

TMI alert! My stools have been soft, voluminous, smelly, and stick-to-the-bowl for over a month. Technically this is termed steatorrhea and results from fat malabsorption. Most online sources recommend digestive enzymes to treat this, and assume that the pancreas isn't producing enough enzymes. All of these CW sources probably don't take into account the high amount of dietary fat from PB!

The questions... Am I consuming too much fat? Will a probiotic help? Are there any foods that would aide in fat digestion? Is this malabsorption harmful over time, or just annoying? I feel great, and have no other digestive issues. I just want to address the issue in case it's something serious! Thanks all
    simplyprimal.blogspot.com

That is something I am wondering about here in this thread too:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26687.html
    Female, age 44, height 174 cm (5'9)
    Starting weight: 108 kg (237.6 lbs.)
    Weight goal: 62 kg (136.4 lbs.)
    Current weight: 82.5 kg (181.5 lbs.)

Comment

you could try substituting some of the fat in your diet with coconut products (coconut oil/milk).
      This is what i did with my diet.
      Its easier on my digestive system and it gives me TONS of energy.
      The fat in coconut oil/milk is the easiest of all fats to digest. They even give it to the elderly and sick people with comprimised digestion.
      Coconut oil/milk requires virtually no pancreatic enzymes, this = less stress on the pancreas.
      I usually take in around 45 grams of fat from coconut products.

Comment

Originally posted by sandokan2112 View Post
        you could try substituting some of the fat in your diet with coconut products (coconut oil/milk).
        This is what i did with my diet.
        Its easier on my digestive system and it gives me TONS of energy.
        The fat in coconut oil/milk is the easiest of all fats to digest. They even give it to the elderly and sick people with comprimised digestion.
        Coconut oil/milk requires virtually no pancreatic enzymes, this = less stress on the pancreas.
        I usually take in around 45 grams of fat from coconut products.
        Though just be aware that it might have the opposite effect....for me, coconut oil in moderate amounts is the only fat that triggers the very symptoms the OP mentioned! I have no problems with olive oil, meat fat, or butter.
        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Are you eating any gluten? Fat malabsorption is a sign of gluten intolerance.

Comment

Stick to the bowl poo sounds like not enough fibre to me. With fat malabsorption they usually float.

Comment

Nope, no gluten...

Meat, eggs, veggies, berries, occasional nuts, sweet potatoes. Cooking with olive oil and butter, coconut oil didn't agree with me. Taking Mark's advanced health supplement.

Most of the info online suggests that this is a symptom of malabsorption, Crohn's, celiac, or IBS. This actually started after eliminating the grains and processed foods, so I'm pretty sure it's not celiac or crohn's! All of my previous IBS symptoms have disappeared, and I feel really good. If the probiotic doesn't help, I might try digestive enzymes. I'm frustrated

Comment

I love digestive enzymes, I have issues breaking down fat and protein so these help a ton.
                As for foods that help with digestion of fats? That would be raw fats and oils and eating a low carbohydrate diet...oh wait
                Adding more raw foods will help you boost your enzyme levels naturally.
                Calm the f**k down.

Comment

If stools are smelly it's not inadequate fiber. Also, fat is absorbed in the small intestine, so probiotics, which are a large intestine supplement, won't fix the underlying issue. Assuming it's malabsorption, it could be insufficient bile and/or lipase, or impaired intestinal absorption due to the past diet. Could be a combination of the three. In the former case, enzymes should help; in the latter case it'll simply take time and the healing in the gut. In either case it should be self-correcting as the body receives the signals and nutrition to up-regulate fat-related enzymes and the gut heals through better nutrition and lessened irritation.

Comment

Certain probiotic strains help the small intestine and other strains the large intestine.

Stools with adequate fiber don't normally leave skid marks.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                      Certain probiotic strains help the small intestine and other strains the large intestine.

Stools with adequate fiber don't normally leave skid marks.
                      To me the smelly stools indicate that she's either eating something she shouldn't be, or her digestion is impaired; that's really the symptom I'm focusing on.

Do you have any links you can share with regards to probiotics for the small intestine? All the information I've found focuses on the large intestine.

Comment

The L strains are more native to the small intestine and the B strains are generally found in the large intestine or colon.

I didn't save any links.

Smelly poop can also happen when eating sulfur rich foods like onions and other veg. Meat can too. It doesn't always indicate a problem food.

Comment

I had some fat malabsorption problems (I had my gallbladder evicted) and honestly the thing that makes me stop shitting my guts out (sorry to be so graphic, but it really is that bad) is eating an incredible amount of fat. We're talking about 70% +. Actually at that point i get a little constipated which is a welcome change.
                          5 foot 5 female.
                          Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
                          Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
                          Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
                          Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
                          "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
                          I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                            In either case it should be self-correcting as the body receives the signals and nutrition to up-regulate fat-related enzymes and the gut heals through better nutrition and lessened irritation.
                            I hope so! I really don't want to be taking probiotics and enzymes for the rest of my life. I was on the SAD/vegetarian diet with moderate IBS prior to going primal, so I know my gut is damaged, and probably not used to the meat and animal fats just yet. It's only been a month, so I should give it more time?

As for the fiber, I'm getting 17-20g dietary fiber per day. This is 80% of the RDA according to my nutrition tracker. A day logged on my SAD only yielded 10g fiber, so I've actually increased!

I already ordered Mark's probiotic supplement... it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for all the info, everyone. Keep it comin'!

Comment

You may have a zinc deficiency
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X