Is rice ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is rice ok?

Since there is NO long term studies done on high fat diets and no long term studies done on "real" carb diets, I think it's best of both worlds to incorporate both. In all of the studies, the participants weren't monitored 24/7....this means they could've lied and skewed the data. One thing common that all these diets mention to avoid is processed food (which includes simple sugars).

Therefore, is it okay to eat 1 cup of brown rice for lunch and dinner?

It would be much wiser to choose sweet potatoes as a carb source, as they are far more nutrient-dense. If you prefer rice (or you're poor, like me ), choose white over brown. That way you don't get any of the nasty stuff (phytates, lectins, etc.).

Comment

Asians have a pancreas that's 50% bigger than everyone else's. They process rice a lot better for that reason. Hopefully, you're asian.

And +1 on white vs brown unless you're going all WAPF on it.

Gordo

Comment

I just don't understand how the people of Okinawa can eat large quantities of rice (I think it might be white rice) and do not have inflammation. These centurions also do not like sweets, maybe that is why they live long. Maybe there is certain types of grains that are bad like wheat while some that are good in moderation like rice.

Comment

Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
          carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
            Asians have a pancreas that's 50% bigger than everyone else's. They process rice a lot better for that reason. Hopefully, you're asian.

And +1 on white vs brown unless you're going all WAPF on it.

Gordo
            That 50% larger pancrease thing isn't true.

Comment

Originally posted by kurite View Post
              That 50% larger pancrease thing isn't true.
              Well, I'm pretty certain that I got it from Michael Pollan. I don't have the book here, though.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by mwok86 View Post
                Since there is NO long term studies done on high fat diets and no long term studies done on "real" carb diets, I think it's best of both worlds to incorporate both. In all of the studies, the participants weren't monitored 24/7....this means they could've lied and skewed the data. One thing common that all these diets mention to avoid is processed food (which includes simple sugars).

Therefore, is it okay to eat 1 cup of brown rice for lunch and dinner?
                How about you read the book and learn the science? In a nutshell: NO, RICE IS NOT OKAY. It's a GRAIN. Humans are NOT designed to eat grains. Clear enough?
                Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I just don't understand how the people of Okinawa can eat large quantities of rice (I think it might be white rice) and do not have inflammation. These centurions also do not like sweets, maybe that is why they live long. Maybe there is certain types of grains that are bad like wheat while some that are good in moderation like rice.
                  They don't each much rice. They eat mostly tubers for starch. Two cups of rice a day is not low carb. WHITE rice is OK as part of a low carb diet, but you're not primal if you go over 150g carbs per day. You need to keep up your protein. You can have a small amount of carbs. The rest of your calorie requirements should be met from fats - monounsaturated or saturated with only the minimal unsaturated fats (you'll get enough of these anyhow). If you don't follow this you're not primal and wasting our time by asking if its OK

Why are you here if you don't want to do this? You keep asking questions that say you don't believe. Fine, find another way
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

You can eat whatever you want, and think however you want to think, but rice is not one of the components of The Primal Blueprint. So if you think rice is fine and you want to eat it, perhaps try another eating plan like Perfect Health Diet, but not Primal Blueprint.

Comment

As peril says, they eat mostly tubers for starch. They also don't eat brown rice. They eat white rice. And I sincerely doubt they're eating two cups a day of it.

Comment

These centurions also do not like sweets....
                        Centurions in Okinawa? Wow.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                          Well, I'm pretty certain that I got it from Michael Pollan. I don't have the book here, though.

Gordo
                          Well if you find quote please tell me but from what I know in terms of digestion the only difference between them and caucasian for example is that 50% of asians can't properly digest alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by kurite View Post
                            Well if you find quote please tell me but from what I know in terms of digestion the only difference between them and caucasian for example is that 50% of asians can't properly digest alcohol.
                            Yeah, they're missing an enzyme. My best friend in high school used to look like a tomato when he drank. It didn't stop him, though.

I do recall that the discussion was about neolithic adaptations, in this case an adaptation that made it easier to live on a diet high in rice. It had nothing to do with digestion being different in any chemistry-related way.

Gordo

Comment

One of Robb Wolf's recent paleo solution podcasts talked a little about the cross-reactivity that rice has with gluten. He commented on how certain people show rice intolerances similar to that of gluten intolerance. Either way it is a grain. I think WAPF recommends that if you are going to consume rice to make sure it is the wild rice version which has barely any processing and has not been polished like white and some brown rice.
                              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Working...
                              X