Chicken Livers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Livers?

Good morning all! I would like to try chicken livers (my non-primal boyfriend likes them so I decided what the heck!) I can find them at an international supermarket in our area, but was wondering would they be safe to eat? I will be breading them in a almond coating and frying them in coconut oil. Thank you

They are safe to eat and delicious! Just don't overcook them or they will be dry and mealy. I get them whenever they go on sale.

Yeah, it's preferable to get all meats from pastured animals, but I think liver is so nutritious that it will do you more good than harm. I also think that factory-farmed meat is not as "toxic" as some people make it out to be. I buy local and grassfed when I can, but it's not always feasible.

See this: Primal Wisdom: A Practically Primal Perspective on Conventional Beef, Part 1: Hormones

Comment

Thank you for the info, I will put them on my shopping list!

Comment

I like them simply tossed in black pepper and dry herbs to coat, then blackened outside in a skillet while retaining the silkiness inside. dust with salt and you're ready!
        Little Saiyan

Comment

It's also hard for me to find chicken livers from organic/hormone-free/pastured chickens, so when my Whole Foods does have them I buy 5 or 6 and freeze them. Right now all I have are conventionally-raised livers, but they're still delicious.

Chicken liver pate is good enough to eat by itself with a spoon!
          5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Comment

I have a plate of hearts and gizzards in front of me right now. Livers would be a great addition.
            Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
            Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
            LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
            HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
            TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Ah my Whole Foods almost ALWAYS has pasture-roaming chicken's livers.. and they are cheeeap!
              Little Saiyan

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                Ah my Whole Foods almost ALWAYS has pasture-roaming chicken's livers.. and they are cheeeap!
                Oh now THAT is news I can use! /sprints out the door

Comment

LOL! Forge a good relationship with your Whole Foods meat counter (and fish counter)-- they'll set aside all kinds of things for you or they might have something 'in back' that is usually unsellable to the poor unknowing masses!
                  Little Saiyan

Comment

My local organic chicken farm bags up the livers for the few of us who do eat chicken / duck livers - a great bagful for 1.50. Which I then bag up in 1lb bags and freeze for making the most lovely pates.

Fresh, I love them fried in butter. Or fry an onion until soft in plenty of butter, add teaspoon caraway seed, teaspoon smoked paprika, add 1lb chicken livers, cook briefly until firm and add small pot of sour cream. This is my idea of food heaven!

Comment

!!!!!

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                      Fresh, I love them fried in butter. Or fry an onion until soft in plenty of butter, add teaspoon caraway seed, teaspoon smoked paprika, add 1lb chicken livers, cook briefly until firm and add small pot of sour cream. This is my idea of food heaven!
                      WOW! I'm DEFINITELY going to try that!
                      Little Saiyan

Comment

When I eat them I usually just fry them up in a hot pan with bacon grease and eat them with breakfast. I fry them until the edges are crispy. Rumaki is pretty tasty as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X