Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal?

I realize this can vary a lot but for males when one is strict primal and reaches what bf % the body is comfortable with what is the general %? In other words if I was strict primal with no exercise what bf% about would I end up at?

Well, it depends on what *your* body is comfortable with. A lot of it depends on how your hormones do/don't work. Guys like Stevo and Bane are less than 10% and they seem to do ok with it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I think just by eating Primal you jump one category on this chart
      Body Fat Chart
      I used the calculator and got 8% and I by no means am an athlete , I work out , but not excessively and so would have put myself in the fitness category ..
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-...43036789093004

Comment

I started off at 38% body fat. 2 years later, I'm at 10%.

My body doesn't feel comfortable dropping below that. I have dropped to 8% before and it involved not stuffing my face every time I eat and I ain't willing to do that for the rest of my life.

So 10% it is.

Comment

Simodalcais - very cool body fat calculator. Thanks for the pointing.

Comment

Probably around ~ 10% bf if your male and ~ 22% if you're female. Humans aren't meant to be fat. Being fat doesn't come lack of exercise only eating the wrong foods. Lack of exercise whilst eating primal will mean you won't gain any muscle.
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

That calculator put me at 31% which seems really unlikely for me. I'm not super lean my any stretch of the imagination, but when I was even "fatter" and had my bf tested with calipers by a trainer it was less than that.

I'm not an athlete either, but I work out weight training, yoga and walking regularly and am at a healthy weight. hm. Might need to get my bf tested again.

Comment

I am hopeful that I can get to 10% BF. I started somewhere in the 30-35% range, I believe. That is the other thing about BF...unless you physically go through an underwater test or electrical impedance test at your Dr.s....its pretty hard to get an accurate, exact number. The scales that are out today dont really do a great job of measuring it (I have one and I have lost 25lbs since going Primal but my BF% is registering nearly the same % as it did at the start- that's impossible) and your other choices....calipers or tape measure...are notoriously inaccurate to within 5% or more.

So, the best you can do is guess at your official percentage (its just a # after all), but go by how you look in the mirror. If you can see veins and muscle definition where you used to have smoothness...you are getting there!

I would hope to get down to 10%BF. If I do its going to be a HUGE accomplishment for me because, as an Endomorph,I have always carried a high amount of BF. Gaining muscle and size was extremely easy for me( I gained over 100lbs from when I started working out seriously). Shedding the flab and keeping said muscle is my challenge. So far it is working....
                If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post
                  I started off at 38% body fat. 2 years later, I'm at 10%.
                  Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
                    I did it by cutting out cookies, candy, chips, and sugary beverages. Har. Then I went primal and dropped down into the 5% range before I realized what was happening. It's been a real PITA to put a little fat back on my poor frame eating primally. Yes, I routinely eat fat+carbs. So I guess the bottom line is YMMV. Along with your genes. The only real hard-and-fast rule is that no one is ever happy with where they are. LOL

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                      By the time I reached 15% body fat, I was getting pretty physically fit. Up til then, I was doing exclusively body weight exercises. It was getting to a stage where 300 pushups, 100 pullups and running 5k after that in 1 workout was starting to feel pretty easy.

So I started to go to the gym to lift weights and sprint once a week. That's when 15% rapidly became 10%, DESPITE the fact that the lifting compelled me to eat A LOT more. I started to really pack on muscle and my skin started to look "thinner", if you know what mean. Veins started to pop on my quads and deltoids, and striations on my legs, delts and forearms became really obvious even when I'm just doing everyday things like brushing my teeth or lifting my lap top (friends began to notice and tell me).

In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.

Also at about that time, I made a conscious effort to get as much sun as I can. When I workout outside the gym, it's always at the beach with my shirt off to maximize sun exposure.

So basically, a huge bump in exercise intensity + a lot more sun + a lot more food brought me from 15% to 10% in a matter of around 3 months.

Honestly, the best part for me is the food. For me, I feel extremely satisfied to be able to eat like a pig (a low carb primal pig) every single day, and have people think I'm literally 20 years younger than my actual age.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                        The only real hard-and-fast rule is that no one is ever happy with where they are. LOL Gordo
                        That is SO true. When I was in my 20's, I thought my body could be leaner. Now 10+ years later, when I see videos and photos from back then I think, "Why wasn't I happy with that body?"
                        I eat healthier now, don't run/jog (which I did for about 15 years even thought I loathed it,) walk lots, do resistance training, some yoga, ballet-type workouts, etc. I know I should be happy with the way I look, and the Mr. is always complimenting me . . . but that little voice inside is always bugging me, "Can't you get the body fat down some more?"
                        We're never happy with what we have. I'm trying to get there, but it's an on-going process.

Comment

Johnny at LeanSaloon maintains about 7% body fat with intermittent fasting.
                          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post
                            In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.
                            That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

I am envious, however. Must be nice.
                            Last edited by JimS; 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I would put myself between 24 and 27.
                              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                              X