Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some more ideas for fat/protein foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need some more ideas for fat/protein foods

    First...A huge "Thank you!" to Senior Members for teaching us "newbies".
    What are some good things to eat when I've reached my carb limit for weight loss but I need more fat/protein? I need to get these up without adding carbs. Should I just eat more meat? Anything else?
    Thank you!

    I read the "other sources of fat" post but didn't see anything I could use.

  • #2
    I'm looking for ideas as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Meat, eggs, and high protein dairy products (cottage cheese and whey)((you may or may not want to eat dairy)) are your best sources of protein. All meat isn't created equal though. I eat a lot more fish these days than ever before. I get a lot of my protein that way.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

      Comment


      • #4
        You really cant go wrong with meat. I know its cliche...but most meat is very nutritious in terms of macronutrients (i.e. vitamins and protein and fat). And best of all, if you are monitoring your carb intake...which it sounds as though you are...most natural meats are very low carb.. if not carb free. Plus, as an extra added bonus....meat is filling. Protein and Fat fill you up!

        For me, I have completely given over to purchasing meat at the store. I buy all kinds of sausages, bacon, hamburger, steak, pork chops, chicken and other less common meats for eating. I also cook it up ahead of time and keep it in the frig in a container. I drive 50 mins each way to and from work. And when I am going in I will grab one or more of my pre-cooked meats to snack on for the ride. It really makes it easy and best of all, I am never hungry.
        If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
        James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

        Comment


        • #5
          Great! I'm already eating 2 eggs for breakfast and 2 hardboiled for a snack, 3-4 oz of chicken with salad at lunch and fish or chicken or steak for dinner. I will add some more meat to the day to get more protein and fat.
          Thank you all!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MissPatty View Post
            Great! I'm already eating 2 eggs for breakfast and 2 hardboiled for a snack, 3-4 oz of chicken with salad at lunch and fish or chicken or steak for dinner. I will add some more meat to the day to get more protein and fat.
            Thank you all!
            I get your sarcasm. You sound like you are sick of eating meat. Yes?
            If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
            James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

            Comment


            • #7
              Also, I didnt suggest nuts for you because you made it sound as though you were watching your carb intake in an effort to lose weight. But nuts are a great, natural snack. I like Almonds personally. Walnuts as well. I dont eat a ton of them because I am trying to drop bodyfat. And nuts can get in the way of that.

              Also, there is dairy. I personally dont do dairy because, again, I am trying for fat loss and dairy can be gluconeogenic (insulin spiking) in some people. But you may be different. Hard cheeses are low carb. You can try those as a snack too.

              Finally, and worst of these that I mentioned for fat loss is fruit. Fruit is natures snack. But it has carbs. So, again, if you want to lose fat I wouldnt recommend lots of fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, black berries and blue berries are relatively low carb as far as fruit go. I have known people that eat fruit and still manage to drop body fat. Unfortunately, Im not one of them....

              And last but definitely not least....you always have vegetables. And if you eat the right ones....you wont ever have a carb problem. In fact, I get virtually all of my carbs everyday from vegetables. Broccoli, Green Peppers, Spinach, Green Beans etc etc.


              One other thing I think I would mention to you is that if you have given up grains, gluten, sugar and processed crap and made it through the carb flu....and you are still experiencing hunger pains throughout the day... then you aren't eating enough protein and fat. Once your body converts totally to ketosis as your primary metabolism mechanism you wont have yo-yoing blood sugar as a result of insulin spikes from your food anymore. So, your meals will stick with you longer...because your blood sugar will "flatline". And because of that you wont be hungry and you will eat less per day. I know it doesnt seem logical at the time you come from CW, but it is true. Eat Protein(meat), Fat (meat) and Vegetables (Carbs) at as many meals as you can and you will end up eating less than you did when you consumed gluten/sugar/grains at every meal.
              If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
              James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

              Comment


              • #8
                You can get great snacks from a health food store. I buy buffalo/beef/ostrich jerky from my store. I also pick up Applegate Farms salami and pepperoni when they have it. I keep them in the fridge for snacks, though I usually end up eating the whole package
                Last edited by Max[imilian]; 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

                Comment


                • #9
                  Pemmican.
                  Astraia Maria

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No sarcasm!

                    Originally posted by nachobrawler View Post
                    I get your sarcasm. You sound like you are sick of eating meat. Yes?
                    No sarcasm at all! I like meat I guess I'm just not feeling very creative. I've been eating the same stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Try different meats. Change it up. Get creative. Use spices (no sugar though...). Maybe its me, but I have yet to find a meat I didnt like and variety is the spice of life!

                      Its all on you to make variety for yourself....
                      If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                      James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nachobrawler View Post
                        Also, I didnt suggest nuts for you because you made it sound as though you were watching your carb intake in an effort to lose weight. But nuts are a great, natural snack. I like Almonds personally. Walnuts as well. I dont eat a ton of them because I am trying to drop bodyfat. And nuts can get in the way of that.

                        Also, there is dairy. I personally dont do dairy because, again, I am trying for fat loss and dairy can be gluconeogenic (insulin spiking) in some people. But you may be different. Hard cheeses are low carb. You can try those as a snack too.

                        Finally, and worst of these that I mentioned for fat loss is fruit. Fruit is natures snack. But it has carbs. So, again, if you want to lose fat I wouldnt recommend lots of fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, black berries and blue berries are relatively low carb as far as fruit go. I have known people that eat fruit and still manage to drop body fat. Unfortunately, Im not one of them....

                        And last but definitely not least....you always have vegetables. And if you eat the right ones....you wont ever have a carb problem. In fact, I get virtually all of my carbs everyday from vegetables. Broccoli, Green Peppers, Spinach, Green Beans etc etc.


                        One other thing I think I would mention to you is that if you have given up grains, gluten, sugar and processed crap and made it through the carb flu....and you are still experiencing hunger pains throughout the day... then you aren't eating enough protein and fat. Once your body converts totally to ketosis as your primary metabolism mechanism you wont have yo-yoing blood sugar as a result of insulin spikes from your food anymore. So, your meals will stick with you longer...because your blood sugar will "flatline". And because of that you wont be hungry and you will eat less per day. I know it doesnt seem logical at the time you come from CW, but it is true. Eat Protein(meat), Fat (meat) and Vegetables (Carbs) at as many meals as you can and you will end up eating less than you did when you consumed gluten/sugar/grains at every meal.
                        I suspect I eat too many nuts now...that's my favorite snack. I'm a snacker, so I ended up replacing the chips with nuts.
                        I'm switching to primarily Macadamias to get more fat and less carbs. I also love the Nut Crackers in the primal recipe book (11 carbs for 4! but I love them)
                        Once in a while I eat some Gouda, otherwise no dairy at all.
                        No fruit.
                        I love bacon and would eat it every day but I was thinking the sodium might be too much? Love jerky too but that has a lot of sodium too right?
                        Been on this for two months now.
                        I'm thinking of doing a 30 day challenge after my vacation in April, to see if I can tighten things up.
                        Again Thank you!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maybe you could try using some different spices to jazz it up? I like to saute my shrimp in garlic and lemon. I also put some green onions/scallions in with my eggs or greens to give them some different flavors. I would try using cumin, cayenne, garlic, pepper, and any other spices from your cabinet to get some different flavors in there. I also explore some different paleo blogs because they tend to have lots of great ideas for cooking!
                          Cheers to LIFE!--Bree

                          www.sassyprimal.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MissPatty View Post
                            I suspect I eat too many nuts now...that's my favorite snack. I'm a snacker, so I ended up replacing the chips with nuts.
                            I'm switching to primarily Macadamias to get more fat and less carbs. I also love the Nut Crackers in the primal recipe book (11 carbs for 4! but I love them)
                            Once in a while I eat some Gouda, otherwise no dairy at all.
                            No fruit.
                            I love bacon and would eat it every day but I was thinking the sodium might be too much? Love jerky too but that has a lot of sodium too right?
                            Been on this for two months now.
                            I'm thinking of doing a 30 day challenge after my vacation in April, to see if I can tighten things up.
                            Again Thank you!
                            If you're getting enough of the various electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium) the excess is simply excreted. "Too much" sodium is frequently too little potassium, which when combined with adequate sodium results in too low a ratio of K to Na.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MissPatty View Post
                              I suspect I eat too many nuts now...that's my favorite snack. I'm a snacker, so I ended up replacing the chips with nuts.
                              I'm switching to primarily Macadamias to get more fat and less carbs. I also love the Nut Crackers in the primal recipe book (11 carbs for 4! but I love them)
                              Once in a while I eat some Gouda, otherwise no dairy at all.
                              No fruit.
                              I love bacon and would eat it every day but I was thinking the sodium might be too much? Love jerky too but that has a lot of sodium too right?
                              Been on this for two months now.
                              I'm thinking of doing a 30 day challenge after my vacation in April, to see if I can tighten things up.
                              Again Thank you!
                              One more thing I would suggest is you try to get out of the mindset of snacking. Snacking is a hold over from the CW "grazing" lifestyle that we were old force fed. Its also indicative of either hunger pains & insulin spikes...which means you are not following a low carb lifestyle properly...or boredom. Boredom I cant help you with. You need to solve that one (if that is the case as to why you want to snack). But snacking because you are hungry means you are still carbing too much or not eating enough protein and lovely fat at your meals. Carbs create insulin spikes....which creates hunger pains. Eating protein and fat will satiate you longer and in the end you will eat less calories overall because you are less hungry throughout the day. But there is also the hormonal bonus that you get with eating fat and protein. By doing so, you are shutting of insulin somewhat in your body and promoting glucagon (glucagon is the opposite hormone from insulin. It tells your body to burn fat and not store it). Glucagon comes out when Insulin is "not around". And Glucagon helps you burn fat!!!
                              Along with Leptin, another hormone that is secreted by your fat, it also helps tell your body you aren't hungry. So, when you have activated it...you aren't as hungry as you were when you were a slave to Insulin. So, try to avoid the snack mindset: eat lots of protein and fat at your meals. And fill up at your meals. Eat until you are full. And then dont eat anymore. And see if in doing this...you are less inclined to snack throughout the day (give it a few days to settle in before you look for an answer to whether it is working or not).

                              One last thing...I do sense some stressing in your posts about what to eat. Be sure not to do that. Stress=Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone and causes our body to do weird things like store everything as fat and tell our brain we are hungry when we just ate! Do your best not to worry about this stuff. Primal is easy. Dont eat grains/gluten,sugar and processed foods. Keep your fat ratio good for Omega 3/Omega 6 fats. Do eat meat, vegetables,nuts-if you like, dairy-if you like,fruit-if you like. And be active some throughout the week. Thats it. All simple. No stress about it...


                              Good luck!
                              If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                              James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X