GMO Foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMO Foods

Hi. Not sure how many of you are into the GMO debate but I thought I`d pass this link on. Anyone know if internet petitions are even considered valid?
    Change.org Petitions – Online Petitions for Social Change
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

What is GMO?

Comment

Genetically Modified Organism: Genetically modified organism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

GMO"s are also called Frankenfood. The only sure way to eat GMO free is certified organic. Even produce is affected.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
          GMO"s are also called Frankenfood. The only sure way to eat GMO free is certified organic. Even produce is affected.
          Do you think the recent change in legislation will affect the organic practices?

Comment

I think genetically modifying food modifies Nature's built-in "survival of the fittest" mechanism. This ensures that the genetically modified variety will destroy all other "natures" varieties and will establish a monoculture. If you look at history, this happened a couple of times and caused large famines. Ultimately, this puts all farmers (and consumers too) at a disadvantage because the crop is now owned by corps like Monsanto. This means they now have a form of monopoly and they will do anything to maximize profits. For an example, Monsanto put a gene that causes crop seeds to kill itself after a harvest and also price fixing.

Comment

YouTube - Ear Of Genetically Modified Corn Begs For Death

Just thought I'd add that. And I suppose my opinion is that the notion is scary. Testing is not anywhere near comprehensive enough.
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by mwok86 View Post
                I think genetically modifying food modifies Nature's built-in "survival of the fittest" mechanism. This ensures that the genetically modified variety will destroy all other "natures" varieties and will establish a monoculture. If you look at history, this happened a couple of times and caused large famines. Ultimately, this puts all farmers (and consumers too) at a disadvantage because the crop is now owned by corps like Monsanto. This means they now have a form of monopoly and they will do anything to maximize profits. For an example, Monsanto put a gene that causes crop seeds to kill itself after a harvest and also price fixing.
                That enabled them to put a patent on the seeds....Round Up Ready seeds. I`m curious as to what the new legislation will bring because if a steer eats GMO alfalfa he is no longer organic .....

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                  YouTube - Ear Of Genetically Modified Corn Begs For Death

Just thought I'd add that. And I suppose my opinion is that the notion is scary. Testing is not anywhere near comprehensive enough.
                  LOL at your link stabby. Regarding the testing; we ARE the tests subjects. I just hope when they start with the genetically modified salmon the law will require labeling.

Comment

The organic produce you buy in the supermarket already contains non-organic residues like pesticides. Organic produce is stored in the same containers or within the vicinity of pesticide loaded produce which gives a chance of cross contamination. This is proved from the statistics at whatsonmyfood.org where they found pesticide residues on organic produce. This is why you should be buying from certified farmers market and CSA.

Due to cross-contamination, you can bet that "organic" pasture areas will have GMO alfalfa growing in it and the steers will eat it and still be labeled organic. This is because testing whether the pasture area is GMO is expensive and organic products would already be on the market that are actually non-organic, it will be a mess.

Comment

I am very concerned about GMOs. (Watch The Future of Food and Seeds of Deception.) But I think we are past the point of no return now, and they will get into our food supply no matter what. Sickening.

About online petitions - if they ask for your email address, sometimes they are a data mining tool to get you on an email list. I avoid them.

Comment

The fresh produce section is full of GMO's. It isn't just corn and soy. I think the lobby groups in the US control more of what is going on than the US government. It is a little better in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzan View Post
                          I am very concerned about GMOs. (Watch The Future of Food and Seeds of Deception.) But I think we are past the point of no return now, and they will get into our food supply no matter what. Sickening.

About online petitions - if they ask for your email address, sometimes they are a data mining tool to get you on an email list. I avoid them.
                          Thanks for the petition advice I saw the future of food but I don`t think I`ve watched the other. I`m hoping that we will reach a point where the GMO foods have to be labeled so I can choose which I prefer...will be non GMO. Europe does it from what I understand so why can`t we?

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                            The fresh produce section is full of GMO's. It isn't just corn and soy. I think the lobby groups in the US control more of what is going on than the US government. It is a little better in Canada.
                            Unfortunately I agree and it`s really really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by mwok86 View Post
                              The organic produce you buy in the supermarket already contains non-organic residues like pesticides. Organic produce is stored in the same containers or within the vicinity of pesticide loaded produce which gives a chance of cross contamination. This is proved from the statistics at whatsonmyfood.org where they found pesticide residues on organic produce. This is why you should be buying from certified farmers market and CSA.

Due to cross-contamination, you can bet that "organic" pasture areas will have GMO alfalfa growing in it and the steers will eat it and still be labeled organic. This is because testing whether the pasture area is GMO is expensive and organic products would already be on the market that are actually non-organic, it will be a mess.
                              Thanks for the pesticide info. In the summer I do buy from the Farmer`s Market and in the winter I get alot of produce from a CSA but not all of it. The cross contamination will be a huge mess since the legislature approved the alfalfa with no regulations as to where Monsanto can plant. It will also create more lawsuits (I`m guessing here) as to the infringement of Monsanto's patent laws and farmers will lose their farms because they don`t have the money to fight it out in court.....sad when you can put a patent on food

Comment

Working...
                              X