Probiotics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics

I began my Primal lifestyle on 3/14, so i am still very new. I know that my digestive system is adjusting to the good stuff i putting into it, but i do not feel it is working properly. Is constipation common, and should i be introducing some probiotics to my system?

thanks for your help!

any shift in your way of eating is going to shift your digestion in some way. things will likely work themselves out --pun intended-- but adding a probiotic could certainly help. at the very least, it won't do any damage.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

thanks! any suggestions for a good probiotic?

Comment

i take PB8, which has billions of cultures...not sure how it stands up against others. what you're eating matters more than anything, so i don't see a need to dish out a ton of money for probiotics. i actually only take mine on occasion to keep up on my gut health.

not sure what others are taking. i know mark puts out some great products.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Probiotics don't do anything useful.
          previous thread on the probiotics SCAM

The answer to constipation is more animal fat.

Comment

Constipation is, indeed, common early on in primal/paleo eating. One of Robb Wolf's podcast guests talked about this recently -- I think it was Chris Kresser, episode 67?? Anybody recall??

I've just started making my own raw milk yogurt, specifically for the probiotic benefit. Other fermented foods like kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, etc. offer the same benefits...not the store-bought ones, though, which are rarely fermented these days and are processed at high heats that kill off the beneficial bacteria.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Anedoctally I can say they've helped me. I had chronic yeast and with celiac disease I didn't always digest and absorb nutrients properly even after several years living gluten free and eating whole foods.
              Last edited by O_O; 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

If you're constipated you might want to try psyllium seed husks or some fresh ground flax meal. Make sure to drink extra water. A few other high fiber low digestible carb foods that will help are avocado, raspberries and blackberries.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                  If you're constipated you might want to try psyllium seed husks or some fresh ground flax meal. Make sure to drink extra water. A few other high fiber low digestible carb foods that will help are avocado, raspberries and blackberries.
                  If constipation is due to gut imbalance, meaning too many of the "bad" guys, then psyllium and flax will feed them and just make matters worse. I think homemade fermented foods or bottled probiotics are better. A good one IMO is the 11-strain formula from Custom Probiotics - highest potency Acidophilus and Bifidus probiotics supplements.. Expensive upfront but a high bacterial count so they last a long time.
                  Astraia Maria

Comment

If you just can't poo psyllium or flax is fine. I don't think too many people will be able to self diagnois themselves with too many bad or good bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                      Constipation is, indeed, common early on in primal/paleo eating. One of Robb Wolf's podcast guests talked about this recently -- I think it was Chris Kresser, episode 67?? Anybody recall??

I've just started making my own raw milk yogurt, specifically for the probiotic benefit. Other fermented foods like kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, etc. offer the same benefits...not the store-bought ones, though, which are rarely fermented these days and are processed at high heats that kill off the beneficial bacteria.
                      I thought it was Matt Lalonde, Episode 68 or 69 I believe.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera View Post
                        Probiotics don't do anything useful.
                        previous thread on the probiotics SCAM

The answer to constipation is more animal fat.

You may be right about the fat helping constipation but that post said "if you are healthy" probiotics probably doesnt help. It helped me get healthy but I haven't taken it in a month. They are living organisms that grow, divide and die constantly. It's only when you don't have a healthy gut because of any number of things that you need to replace it. Once healthy it's not like you need it every day. Agree? Disagree?

Comment

Working...
                        X