Other sources of fats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other sources of fats?

Where can I get other sources of fats besides meat?

I know avocados are great (I eat 2 a day). I can hardly get 50g of carbs and 50g of fat.

My meal is (I eat twice a day only):
    Lot's of vegetables sauteed in 1 tbspn of coconut oil and 6oz Salmon
    Whole Avocados (twice a day)
    Milk (about 1-2 cup)
    Sometimes Salmon Candy or Cheese

I was feeling very sluggish yesterday, as soon as I drank a coconut water....everything went away. I think this is because I'm not getting enough calories?

It doesn't seem like you're eating nearly enough... especially not enough meals with meat. You could also add in eggs, or fruit/starch depending on what your carb range is.

Comment

Why not meat?

Comment

i have been spooning red palm oil in my mouth everynight, close to 1/4 of cup. it has helped my skin. also been using it when i get outa the shower as lotion
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

The best information I have ever read about fats, bar none, is right here: PaNu - P

Are you not eating meat on purpose? Are you on a quest to lose body fat? What are your overall goals? With the milk you're drinking and the salmon candy, you're consuming a lot of sugar, including the coconut water, so your body is still running on glucose, which will definitely make you feel sluggish, especially with the low calorie diet you've put yourself on. Grass fed ruminant fat is the best fat.

Comment

I'm actually lean so not trying to lose weight but I'm concerned about eating eggs due to cholesterol.

If I increase meat consumption, I also increase protein intake. Maybe there is a better source of fats like avocados?

I also don't feel safe eating a lot of coconut oil....

The salmon candy only has 25g of sugar (whole package). Should I eat cheese instead? Would an orange actually be bad?
            Last edited by mwok86; 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Have you read the book yet? According to the Primal Blueprint, you should be eating lots of eggs, cholesterol should not be a concern. I'm not good at relating the science and reasoning behind it. I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly and tell you why. Read the book- I learned way more than I ever could have hoped.

Also, regarding cheese, the consensus here is if it doesn't bother you, go for it. I love cheese and have it whenever I want, but many people don't have that luxury due to intolerances.
              "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Comment

I would start by reading the book, as it seems you're mis-understanding some key components (eggs, fat etc.)
                Last edited by MarkP; 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yes I would read the book because your post is way off when it comes to Primal eating. You need lots of fats and a good amount of protein. Avacados are NOT a better fat. They are a good part of a complete program but should not be your main source of fats. The cholesterol thing is way overrated and there are excellent sources of info on just that around this place.

Comment

Originally posted by mwok86 View Post
                    I'm actually lean so not trying to lose weight but I'm concerned about eating eggs due to cholesterol.

If I increase meat consumption, I also increase protein intake. Maybe there is a better source of fats like avocados?

I also don't feel safe eating a lot of coconut oil....

The salmon candy only has 25g of sugar (whole package). Should I eat cheese instead? Would an orange actually be bad?
                    Yes, an orange would actually be bad if you have insulin resistance.

You are, flat-out, NOT EATING ENOUGH. Eat eggs, eat meat, eat coconut oil, and stop worrying about the non-issue of cholesterol. Educate yourself; read Mark's book, read my Cholesterol Primer (in my sig), read naiadknight's For Newbies thread. You are obviously coming into this with a head full of "conventional wisdom" (CW in Primal acronym) and that will not fly here, or for you, at all.
                    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Would eating nuts (almonds & walnuts) be ok then? According to the Panu site, he said that nuts are not good:

The 6:3 ratio in plants should be ignored. Nuts or seeds that have any n-3 at all should be thought of only as sources of unwanted PUFA. The n-3 they contain is not converted to the useful long chain n-3s we need at a high enough rate to even consider them food. Plant n-3s like alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) from flaxseed oil should just be considered sources of excess total PUFA like LA, only even more likely to cause oxidative damage as they have more double bonds and are less heat-stable! Plant oils like linseed oil (contains ALA) are literally varnish. I use them to make furniture. I use them for oil paintings as a medium. I avoid eating them.
                      What if I modify my current diet which adds 1 egg omelet? Would that be enough?

Comment

Have you tried entering your daily intake into a site like FitDay for a while? You might not want to do it long term, but doing it for a while gives you an accurate snapshot of your fat/protein/carb ratios and then you can tweak a bit as you add and subtract to find the ratios you want. For example, eat as you've been doing but add the one-egg omelet to see what that does to your ratios. I strongly suspect that you are eating far too few calories. And, as others have suggested, read the Primal Blueprint to gain the necessary knowledge about healthy eating .

Comment

WTF is a 1-egg omelet?

I'm really not understanding this aversion to eating meat- real meat like pigs and cows.

Eat. More. Food.

Comment

Thank you Senior Members for teaching us "newbies"!
                            What are some good things to eat when I've reached my carb limit for weight loss but I need more fat/protein? I need to get these up without adding carbs. Should I just eat more meat? Anything else?
                            Thank you!
                            By the way...I can attest to the "losing inches but not weight" comment above. I am! I've been Primal for a couple months now and I'm wearing pants that I bought when I was 10lbs lighter two years ago but have been bouncing up and down by 2 lbs for a while now. So I'm trying to tighten the carbs a bit more to see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mwok86 View Post
                              Where can I get other sources of fats besides meat?

I know avocados are great (I eat 2 a day). I can hardly get 50g of carbs and 50g of fat.

My meal is (I eat twice a day only):
                              Lot's of vegetables sauteed in 1 tbspn of coconut oil and 6oz Salmon
                              Whole Avocados (twice a day)
                              Milk (about 1-2 cup)
                              Sometimes Salmon Candy or Cheese

I was feeling very sluggish yesterday, as soon as I drank a coconut water....everything went away. I think this is because I'm not getting enough calories?
                              Drink pastured butter?
                              Lifting Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X