Online calorie counter/food journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online calorie counter/food journal

I need to find a free online calorie counter/food journal I can plug all of my meals into so I can know what I'm consuming calorie wise (also need to know fat and protein data). I really dont think I'm eating enough and I need to know how much to add.

Anyone know of a good resource? Links are appreciated!
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

I use this.

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

It's simple - like me - and lets you customize your own food which is the trick to getting it accurate.
    And who doesn't love a pie graph?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
      I use this.

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

It's simple - like me - and lets you customize your own food which is the trick to getting it accurate.
      And who doesn't love a pie graph?
      Thank you! I've already started inputting data.

Comment

I find MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM site to be much easier and has way more of the foods I eat.

Comment

I used fit day and then found this: CRON-O-Meter I like it a lot more than fitday, it just seems to be very user friendly and it uses the USDA food database (it has almost everything).
          http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
          My journal

Comment

My preference would be fitday. Easy to add new foods and build recipes. It is based on the USDA.

You can download the USDA database for free (latest release sr 21):
            Nutrient Data Products and Services

Online USDA:
            http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Comment

I really like http://www.myfitnesspal.com. I've been using it since before I started eating more primally. You can build recipes there as well. Would love to see more PB peeps on there!
              Last edited by Jessibear; 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM. Reason: to fix the link :)

Comment

Thank you all for the resources!

Comment

And just in case the first six don't work, I use Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople -- you can create custom nutritional goals to track. I get a laugh out of seeing my fat and carb grams compared to what their suggestions are before you tinker with them.

Comment

I use the Livestrong-My Plate.
                    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

FitDay users (since I registered for this long ago and have already some familiarity with it) - is there an easy way to correct their data? For instance, it says an egg is 80 calories and only 6gm protein, whereas I seem to recall that it's more like 70/6 or 80/7, depending on size. BUt it looks like to put in a custom egg definition, I have to enter EVERYthing, including fat and all the stuff I don't need to change. Is there an easier way?

Also, for any of these - is there one that already has most of the things like grassfed beef (instead of the less nutrient-dense and worse omega ratio grainfed standard) and pastured eggs and pastured butter? I don't know the info on these, but I know they're far more nutrient-rich than the conventional alternatives.
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

you shouldn't have to worry about counting calories if you are eating a truly high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet.

i think i read about it protein power, but basically your body will NOT gain weight if you are truly eating high fat/low carb, no matter how many calories you consume, because your body will speed up its metabolism to burn all of the extra calories from fat. you can only stay the same weight or lose weight.

Here's what Dr. Eades says: "There are many futile biochemical cycles in the body. By futile I mean cycles where energy is expended – usually as heat – but no work is done. It would be like putting your car up on blocks, starting it, and putting a weight on the accelerator pedal so that the engine would run fast. You would burn up a lot of gas over a couple of hours, but the car wouldn’t go anywhere. The body has ways of dissipating excess energy involving the reduction of protonmotive force across the inner mitochondrial membrane (a subject way too technical to address here, though I may try sometime in a long post), which is precisely what I believe happens when insulin is kept low and calories high.)"

here's the article, it's a good read

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Metabolism and ketosis
                        Last edited by chuckarie; 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Flower, you should check out Calorie Counter Iphone and if you go up pretty close to the top on the righthand side, you can search for any food. It is very complete and helpful.

Best regards.

Calorie Counter App

Comment

I love Daily Burn as it's the most user-friendly

but now Paleo track is a close second, maybe winner! It's paleo specific and rewards you when you are strict paleo, lovely...

Comment

Working...
                            X