Sugar. How much is ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar. How much is ok?

Hi! sugar is bad, I know, but does it matter if I eat 5-10 grams daily? It is kind of hard to avoid. It's in EVERYTHING! And of course the days I can't stop myself from having a piece (or two) of dark chocolate don't make it better. So what do you think? Any advice/experience?
    It turns out that common sense is not as common as we thought.

a little dark chocolate never hurts. . . i have it two to three times a week.

Comment

Sugar is bad, unless it is in a piece of dark chocolate!

Comment

Buy real food. Cook it. Eat it. No sugar whatsoever. Dark chocolate gets a pass from me, but the amount of sugar in the 90% stuff is really small.

Gordo

Comment

I avoid processed foods and don't add any sweeteners (sugar/honey/artificial sweetener) to my food. Therefore, the only sugar I consume is what naturally occurs in the fruit and veg I eat, the small amount in the darc choc I enjoy and what is occasionally added to sauces/rubs when eating out or at friends.

If you eat and cook real food, it is pretty easy to avoid added sugar ime.
          Bee
          Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
          Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
          My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

A little (and I emphasize the word "little") added sugar will not do any harm. Mark adds a teaspoon of sugar in his coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by mummybeelee View Post
              I avoid processed foods and don't add any sweeteners (sugar/honey/artificial sweetener) to my food. Therefore, the only sugar I consume is what naturally occurs in the fruit and veg I eat, the small amount in the darc choc I enjoy and what is occasionally added to sauces/rubs when eating out or at friends.

If you eat and cook real food, it is pretty easy to avoid added sugar ime.
              Good for you. You really lose the taste for it on Primal in a short time if you take that approach.

Comment

if you eat foods in their whole natural state there is no sugar except what is natrually in fruit and veggies. The dark chocolate I eat is 88% and sweetened with beet juice and I love it. If you are craving sweet just eat a peice of fruit. Slowly you will learn to love the taste of food in its natral state. Soon fruit will taste like candy to you.

Comment

I have taken to using jam with sugar as an ingredient. Although it is only 5g of sugar per tbs, and 1 tbs per day. I doubt that would have any adverse effects.

Just throwing it out there that honey has less fructose per calorie than sucrose. That doesn't mean use more of it!
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

i use 1-2 tsp honey in sauces and 1/4-1/2 tsp medicinally (eg, lemon/honey/ginger for colds/flu/niceness). this is probably about once a week -- and that's tops. If we have a cold coming in (or a change of season), we'll do a week of lemon/honey/ginger each afternoon. i use honey in sauce probably once a week, if that.

we have dark chocolate a couple of times a week.

otherwise, we are basically sugar free unless it's a treat (rare) or we are out and about and not in control of what is put into the food.

Comment

Sugar is in processed food, not a primal/paleo food, and therefore not something included in this eating plan.

If one eats proteins, veggies, fruits and nuts, with no added processed foods or prepared condiments, there is no sugar involved.

The only sugar we eat is very dark chocolate, a few times a week.

How much sugar is okay? For this type of eating plan, probably only a couple of tablespoons a week, with an occasional treat.

I think that in addition to cutting out grains, etc., some folks may not remember that one of the principles of this type of diet is to eat very little or even zero processed foods or prepared condiments. If you stick to that, you'll avoid most sugars.

Sugar is addictive and if you keep feeding the addiction, it's very hard to kick the habit.

Comment

Agree totally on the dark chocolate. Probably have 2-3 pieces per day!

Comment

It totally depends on whether "just a little bit" makes you want more and more. I can't have even a little bit without increasing cravings, so I've learned how to enjoy foods without sugar, make my own ketchup (really simple), and have sweets (homemade, with honey) only on special occasions. My husband can easily have some here and there without obsessing for more, and without it becoming more than a negligible amount across the course of a week, week after week after week.

Things like winter squash, milk, and roasted brussels sprouts taste sweet to me now. It's unreal. Things with actual sugar in them taste sickly sweet now. (Of course, they still trigger increased cravings in me, so I avoid them as much as possible.)
                          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Its the fructose (one half of table sugar) that is the bad stuff to limit/avoid when it comes in a packaged good other than fruit/vege etc. (Glucose is the othet half)

I usually buy 99% dark unsweetened chocolate, the 1% is sweetened with vanilla as per the ingredient listing, so very little fructose. Ive also tried sugar free milk chocolate with no artificial sweetners, just made out of cocoa butter, palm oil, milk solids. The
                            Milk solids gave it a high sugar content due to lactose. Wasnt sweet at all, but nice & fatty with all the cocoa butter mmm
                            My primal journal
                            25yo female, height 5'7"
                            goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
                            goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
                            ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

Working...
                            X