Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Pickles?

Do they have a place in a Primal diet?
    I figured they are vegetables, but they have a pretty high carb content. Also they come bottles in these liquids I don't know anything about. I like to eat them, as they taste pretty good. What are the pro's and con's of including them in a diet?
    Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

I eat Bubbie's pickles all the time. I buy them at Whole Foods. They don't contain vinegar or sugar, but are fermented with lactic acid, and contain garlic and dill. The carb count is 1 carb per 1 ounce. According to FitDay, generic pickles are 1 carb per 1 ounce.

Comment

Traditionally pickles were fermented and thus a probiotic with benefits for gut health. Today they are generally packed in some sort of vinegar,possibly other stuff aswell. Just check the ingredient list and make sure there isn't sugar or other nasty stuff.

Comment

You can get the sweet pickles/gherkins. I like the sour gherkins.

Comment

If you can find the Bubbies brand Suzan mentioned, that's the one to get. Bubbies also makes a pretty good fermented sauerkraut.

Comment

You can make your own fermented stuff pretty easily too.
            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
            Harold Whitman

Comment

+1 to Bubbie's pickles. I have them as a mid-afternoon snack for the salt and crunch. And I can use the leftover juice as an inoculant to preserve my own veggies. I made spicy garlic carrot pickles that way, and I used Bubbie's sauerkraut juice to inoculate a jar of beets that I put up with allspice and coriander. Both were delicious.

Comment

I am a fan of Strub's kosher dills. I don't care what's in the them, they rock my socks and I figure pickles are not the worst thing that I could eat, so I'll continue to eat them.

Comment

Bubbies are my fave. Or you can make them at home if you are so inspired. (I've lacto-fermented LOTS of veggies, and pickles have been by far the most difficult for me, so I too buy the Bubbies.)

Wild Fermentation :: Making Sour Pickles

A WORLD of difference between regular old pickles which have been pastuerized (vinegar etc) and the lacto-fermented kinds. I wouldn't stress over eating non lacto fermented pickles personally, but actively try and eat lactofermented pickles and other fermented goodies on a daily basis for the health/gut benefits. If you can make the switch to a lacto-fermented pickle, there are many benefits, and no guilt.
                  My Before/After Pics
                  Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                    Bubbies are my fave. Or you can make them at home if you are so inspired. (I've lacto-fermented LOTS of veggies, and pickles have been by far the most difficult for me, so I too buy the Bubbies.)

Wild Fermentation :: Making Sour Pickles

A WORLD of difference between regular old pickles which have been pastuerized (vinegar etc) and the lacto-fermented kinds. I wouldn't stress over eating non lacto fermented pickles personally, but actively try and eat lactofermented pickles and other fermented goodies on a daily basis for the health/gut benefits. If you can make the switch to a lacto-fermented pickle, there are many benefits, and no guilt.
                    I was going to post the same link to the Wild Fermentations site. I've only fermented a few types of vegetables (sauerkraut, a batch of kimchee that I didn't care for, and pickles). I've had good success with pickles and making them is much cheaper than buying the good fermented kind.

Comment

they're delicious is what they are
                      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by Suzan View Post
                        I eat Bubbie's pickles all the time. I buy them at Whole Foods. They don't contain vinegar or sugar, but are fermented with lactic acid, and contain garlic and dill. The carb count is 1 carb per 1 ounce. According to FitDay, generic pickles are 1 carb per 1 ounce.
                        UMMMM! BUBBIES.... Gonna have to go crunch on one now!!!!!

Comment

Bubbies pickles are partially pasteurized, if that makes any sense, lol, but the sauerkraut is not.

At any rate, I agree with the consensus - as long as they don't have fake coloring (and most do), vinegar pickles on occasion won't kill you or anything, but once you get used to the slightly different flavor of real fermented food (what vinegar pickles are trying to replicate), you'll never go back! And they're SOOOOOOOOOOOO easy and they are so many different things you can make (yogurt, kefir, pickles, sauerkraut, salsas, green tomatoes, EVERYthing that has ever been a condiment probably started as a ferment, ginger beer, all kinds of things).

The simplest thing to start with - shred some cabbage, add some shredded carrots, beat a bit to make the juices start flowing, throw in a quart jar, cover with (filtered) water, and add one or two tablespoons of (unrefined) sea salt. Put the lid on, sit on the counter, and in three days, you have sauerkraut. Sit it in the fridge or cool basement for a month and it's even better. Full of amazing probiotics, too.

Pickled beets: peel & coarsely chop organic beets, cover with filtered water, add salt. Lid, counter, three days, delicious! Drink the juice - it's called beet kvass and very beneficial to gut health.
                          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I make "Pioneer Sauerkraut" all the time. Yum! Super easy. Google it and find recipe. Basically, you shred cabbage and mash it into a pint or quart jar, add salt, put on a lid and shelf it for a few days or a week. Yum!

Comment

mmmm bubbies
                              "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X