Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar-free nitrate-free bacon? Does it exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We buy bacon from US Wellness Meats. No sugar, and no added nitrates/nitrites. Just pork and salt.

It's really great bacon.

Oh, and they have other sugar-free options

Comment

+1 for US Wellness. Great nitrate-free, sugar-free bacon. They have both pork and beef.

Comment

I used to buy from them. But Kreillich farm has better quality I have found.

Comment

Just buy pork belly?

Comment

I have a couple of local farmers who sell bacon that is smoked, but uses no nitrates or sugar.

Check eatwild.com for farmers who might be close to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
              I have a couple of local farmers who sell bacon that is smoked, but uses no nitrates or sugar.

Check eatwild.com for farmers who might be close to you.

They have a 150 year old recipe the way it is supposed to be made with natural salt and fresh herbs and spices. No sugar or nitrates. I couldn't believe how it tasted even compared to the stuff from trader Joes or whole foods.

Comment

sorry forgot the link kreilichfarm.com

Comment

Make your own.

Good Eats S05E05 Scrap Iron Chef: Bacon Challenge - YouTube

I used the molasses, but you could probably leave that out.

Comment

Perhaps the whole "nitrates are evil" is a bit overblown in the first place - The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

Comment

Nitrites cause migraines in quite a few people, some of whom don't even realize that's what's causing them, so they're still a banned substance for me because I'm in pain for 3 days if I ingest it.

Don't forget that celery salt/juice/seed are still chemically the same thing as what's n cheap bacon, just "prettified" so people think they're getting something healthier. If anything, there might be more nitrites (studies have shown it's common) in bacon labelled with celery salt/seed/juice instead of plain old "sodium nitrite".
                      Durp.

Comment

Working...
                      X