Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal thickening agents?

Hey people,

When deglazing a pan, you can add flour or cornstarch to thicken the liquid into a sauce. What can we use instead of grain or corn products to thicken up a reduction sauce?

Cream
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

What about arrowroot?

Comment

Potato starch / flour?

Comment

Tapioca starch and cream/butter

Comment

I was using arrowroot but now I just take the it down a bit more and finish with butter.
            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Put the heat of the pan very high and that will reduce the liquid and thicken it up quite quickly. You can you tapioca flour, arrowroot or potato starch. But i like rice flour, it's much healthier and tastes good too. Sprinkle a little over the top of a simmering sauce and stir, and it thickens right up.
              Hey why not visit my blog at http://www.weightlossdonkey.com

'Read How I Lost 14 Pounds In 14 Days!'

Comment

How on earth is rice flour (a grain) a healthier choice than tapioca/arrowroot/potato starch?
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

sour cream

Comment

you can use agar, it doesn't thicken instantly, but on cooling slightly, so you'll have to be patient to wait for the thicker sauce!

Comment

Coconut flour works well actually. For a sauce, I use about 1 teaspoon. For a thicker gravy, about 1 tablespoon will do.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                        Coconut flour works well actually. For a sauce, I use about 1 teaspoon. For a thicker gravy, about 1 tablespoon will do.
                        Do you find that this changes the flavor at all? (introduces a coconut flavor?)

Comment

Coconut flour (will make it ever so slightly sweeter), cooking it down, adding tomato or chipotle/ adobo paste, pureeing a chunk of the meat/ veggies into it, blood from the meat if you have it.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
                            Do you find that this changes the flavor at all? (introduces a coconut flavor?)
                            I haven't noticed any change in flavor.

Comment

Anyone here tried Hemp protein powder or Whey powder for this purpose ?

One thing I've done is to take some of the sauce with its ingredients and blend it (veggies meat and all). This makes a thick liquid that I pour back into the sauce.

Comment

Working...
                              X