What's as good as eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's as good as eggs?

I don't like eggs very much. Annoying, because they're so handy, so easy, so fast and so Primal. I've been making myself eat them at least a couple of times a week but it's almost like taking medicine - fairly high on the 'yuck' scale.

Tell me I don't need eggs - that there are other yummy Primal foods that supply the same nutrients & goodies.

Brains.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

And liver for the choline.

Comment

Are you saying you don't even like hard boiled eggs cut up in a salad?
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
          And liver for the choline.
          Yup and folate. I thought brains had a lot of folate but that's like the one things they don't have. Liver to the rescue!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
            Are you saying you don't even like hard boiled eggs cut up in a salad?
            That's mostly how I've been eating them but no, I much prefer my salads eggless.

Love liver & onions! Goody, I'll cook that more often. I've never tried brains, but hell, millions of zombies can't be wrong, I'll have to search out a butcher who sells them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
              That's mostly how I've been eating them but no, I much prefer my salads eggless.

Love liver & onions! Goody, I'll cook that more often. I've never tried brains, but hell, millions of zombies can't be wrong, I'll have to search out a butcher who sells them. Thanks!

Heh, I'm going to make that a shirt

Comment

If you've been eating them hard-boiled, maybe you could try cooking them a different way? I hate hard-boiled eggs too (texture/taste is just unappealing), but omelettes are fantastic, and there's lots of room for tweaking

Comment

Frittata. Anyone who is paleo ought to learn how to make frittatas. It's a great way to use egg to deliver lots of other, tastier foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaish View Post
                    Frittata. Anyone who is paleo ought to learn how to make frittatas. It's a great way to use egg to deliver lots of other, tastier foods.
                    I make mini frittatas in muffin tins. I just grab one on the way to work. It makes it easier to get veg in there which I wouldn't if I had to take the time to cook them every morning.

Comment

Cook eggs into other things where you won't notice them as much rather than having them as obvious egg bits.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                        I make mini frittatas in muffin tins. I just grab one on the way to work. It makes it easier to get veg in there which I wouldn't if I had to take the time to cook them every morning.
                        We make the egg muffin recipe in the PB cookbook quite a bit. Tasty, easy, and you can make a batch and nuke them in the morning for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          Cook eggs into other things where you won't notice them as much rather than having them as obvious egg bits.
                          This. I get kinda fed up with plain eggs. As a kid I HATED eggs and would only eat them scrambled with cheese. Or just the yolk, runny. Hmmm, I must have wanted to go primal then . . . Anyhow, I like to saute some onions in bacon grease then scramble the eggs into them. If you're kinda lazy you can buy frozen, chopped peppers and onions. Spinach too. Heat up a fat of your choice then add a bit of garlic, then veggies, then eggs.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

If you're looking for something as fast, convenient, and satisfying as HB eggs, you might try kippered herring or sardines. Easy and tasty. Not quite the same, nutritionally, obviously -- but excellent food.
                            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

The only way to get all the nutritional value from an egg is to cook the white and leave the yolk runny or completely uncooked and raw. Cooking the yolk kills nutrients and if the white is not cooked the enzyme inhibitors in it can prevent absorption of all the goodies in the yolk(for those that had been throwing the whole egg in your mixer-I was). You also don't want to cook the white any more than it takes to just make it white. Over cooking the white, just like overcooking anything, creates more AGEs(advanced glycation end products), which may contribute to age related diseases(i.e. diabetes and autoimmune) by causing glycation which further causes the crosslinking of proteins that stiffens tissues over time. Of course glycation is a normal process that we can't avoid, we should be doing what we can to minimize it.

Comment

Working...
                              X