Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you can be too strict?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you think you can be too strict?

    When you are in this for the long haul and have a lot of weight to lose, do you think you can be too strict at the beginning? I have been really strict for 6 weeks now, sticking completely to it, not even fruit or dairy right now. Then I got to thinking, what happens if my body adapts to this and there isn't anywhere to go, meaning I can't tighten the reigns any more because I'm already so strict? Do you guys have days where you up your carbs to avoid that or what has your experience been or opinion on it?

  • #2
    IMHO, it is useful to eat a broader range of food than strict primal. And I think that people who try to be too strict sometimes go on three day binges.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think anything can be taken to an extreme...

      I would say Primal is safer because you're at least eating approximately correctly for your body, you're not flooding it with toxic chemicals or depriving it of essential nutrients. So you have a much better chance of bouncing back.

      edit: just saw Hedonist's post... What would you add? I'm curious.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, I totally get you, Nomad. I see people do this all the time here and I cringe everytime I see it, then they crash and burn. This is NOT a diet.

        There IS going to come a point in time when you get close to your goal weight where you're gonna have to kick it into 5th and pull out everything from your bag of tricks to squeeze out those last 10-15 pounds. But if you've been in 5th this whole time and you used up your bag of tricks early on when you didn't even need to, you have no place to go.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

        Comment


        • #5
          When I first started paleo I ate just straight meat and fruit. Little salt, no nuts and no cheats. Within two weeks I failed hard and binged. This would repeat itself every week/2 weeks. Find things that feel like a cheat but really aren't for me its things like some nice salted pistachios or some honey.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am experiencing this problem right now. I am trying to tighten up to eek out those last 20 lbs, but I get half way through the week and go nuts. It's Primal food I'm binging on (chocolate, nuts, fruit), but it's still killing my LC count for the week. It doesn't even matter if I feel full or not. I just go hog wild.

            How do you resist the urge? I feel like I have no will power when it happens.
            --Trish (Bork)
            TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
            http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
            FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              The longest rivers are the ones that follow the path of least resistance.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                I am experiencing this problem right now. I am trying to tighten up to eek out those last 20 lbs, but I get half way through the week and go nuts. It's Primal food I'm binging on (chocolate, nuts, fruit), but it's still killing my LC count for the week. It doesn't even matter if I feel full or not. I just go hog wild.

                How do you resist the urge? I feel like I have no will power when it happens.
                Dont tighten so tightly. Have a RANGE of whatever it is you are trying to do and somedays peg the top of the range. And the top of the range shouldnt be any lower than maintenance. Maybe even slightly above.

                Since you make it halfway through before binging plan a small excursion every other day. Nuts OR chocolate OR fruit, 1 small serving.
                MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

                "When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                  Since you make it halfway through before binging plan a small excursion every other day. Nuts OR chocolate OR fruit, 1 small serving.
                  That is great advice, runnergal!

                  Stats as of 3/1/12:
                  5'10" female, 38 y/o
                  Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                  WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                  DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                  EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think you can be 100% if you want to. I think some people will feel better not cheating, its all about your mindset. I, on the other hand, am not 100% and i'm 100% fine with that since i don't do it much and i only do what makes me happy. Cheating too much bothers me cause i feel like crap, but on the other hand not cheating sometimes (especially with friends) is too stressful. I just don't go overboard. I have my happy medium and i'm getting great results.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                      How do you resist the urge? I feel like I have no will power when it happens.
                      Keep your eye on the prize ! I think we should all be focusing on better health and any weight we wish to lose will come as a by-product of that . Every day we eat clean is a big step towards our goals , dont lose sight of that fact . I honestly have no idea how much I weigh , but I do know that each week I am getting closer to my ideal body composition . The mirror tells me this , my tape-measure tells me this and the amount of weight I can lift in the gym tells me this .
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-...43036789093004

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                        The longest rivers are the ones that follow the path of least resistance.
                        Well said, Grumpy.
                        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                        I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                          Yes, I totally get you, Nomad. I see people do this all the time here and I cringe everytime I see it, then they crash and burn. This is NOT a diet.

                          There IS going to come a point in time when you get close to your goal weight where you're gonna have to kick it into 5th and pull out everything from your bag of tricks to squeeze out those last 10-15 pounds. But if you've been in 5th this whole time and you used up your bag of tricks early on when you didn't even need to, you have no place to go.
                          +1

                          Also I think occasional carb refeeds can be helpful... I'm not too sure on the science of it though so hopefully someone else will explain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by imasin View Post
                            +1

                            Also I think occasional carb refeeds can be helpful... I'm not too sure on the science of it though so hopefully someone else will explain.
                            im at a very good weight for my height..5'8 and 132 pounds..seasoned lifter..and i wil lsay that i need a pretty high carb meal once a week..i start to crave it and cant get my mind straight til i have it

                            i can tell when my performance in the gym starts to suffer..and when every food commercial on TV looks wonderful to me..THEN iknow its time to carb up a little..but thats just me..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree about the carb refeeds, imasin. I am doing this with excellent effect.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X