X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Combining and Separation

Someone just referred to this in another thread about blueberries and milk
    Blueberries and Milk Don’t Mix: Study | All Star Health

Which is a pity as they go so well with dairy. And someone suggests that maybe other issues with antioxidants from fruit and veg being neutralized by proteins. Not at all surprising (and I suspect most fruit would have been munched while picking randomly during the day, not eaten with cooked meat anyway.)

So anyway - any other good tips on food combining for maximised nutrition? Like, I'm not going to obsess over it, but might as well get the most out of things.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Personally, I have never understood the logic behind the food combining thing. When you look at it logically every food on earth contains more than one macronutrient (protein,carbs,fat). If you look into in, fruit and vegetables actually contain protein, obviously not nearly as much as a slab of beef, but they still contain trace/small amounts. Things like nuts/dairy etc are a mixture of all 3 macronutrients. Technically if we couldn't digest certain macronutrients with others, we would more than likely have nothing to eat at all!

Comment

Interesting. A solution for many people here would be to júst use coconut milk which is very low in protein.

Comment

The idea of food combining is not a Primal or Paleo concept.

Comment

This isn't about "food combining" though, as in some person came up with the idea that fat and carbs or meat and nuts or w/e don't digest properly when consumed together. This is a study showing that the antioxidants present in blueberries bind to milk proteins and don't offer any benefit. Whether it is a paleo concept or not doesn't mean anything.

Comment

This always reminds me of my several year affair with vegetarianism when I had to constantly try to combine the right things to get actual usable protein..have to have rice with those beans, bread with peanut butter....red flag right there!
            For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, I would look at it completely differently. My impression is that antioxidants are all the rage because of the damage the SAD does to normal healthy body processes, promoting free radicals and whatnot (among so many other things). Since I've cut all of that non-food out of my diet, I point and laugh at people obsessively trying to max out on antioxidants because of their soy/canola/etc. intake.

Seriously, if you're eating paleo/primal, is there any reason to give a rat's arse about antioxidants?
              Antioxidants: Beyond the Hype - What Should You Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
              Studies so far are inconclusive, but generally don't provide strong evidence that antioxidant supplements have a substantial impact on disease.
              "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
              "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
              If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

I'm not only asking about blueberries and antioxidants, but foods generally.

For example I'm fairly sure that the tannins in tea bind to iron, though again that could be CW, rendering it bio-unavailable. And tea is not paleo, so probably I shouldn't be having tea with my meals.

I think it IS paleo to think about these things, because remember this is about combining contemporary science with study of evolution so that we get the most out of our life. And chemicals in foods interact, of course they do, it does matter.

If you don't want to bother about it, that's fine. I'm interested and like to know about these things, that's why I'm asking.
                If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Interesting article.

Originally posted by Suzan View Post
                  The idea of food combining is not a Primal or Paleo concept.
                  It is also not based on scientific evidence. While certain aspects of the whole theory is valid (i.e., we know certain foods when combine with others enhanced the digestion of particular nutrients-->take the fact that fats added to salads enhanced the bio-availability of fat-soluble vitamins present in the salad), the rest of what the theory states (do not combine fat sources with proteins, or don't combine two different protein sources etc) are myths. There are numerous articles online debunking this late 20th century myth.

The whole idea is ridiculous considering the bodies' digestive process.

Comment

Originally posted by Zed View Post
                    the rest of what the theory states

what theory? It's not a monolithic theory, - maybe you're talking about some trendy diet thing from ages ago, I don't know - I'm talking about what we know right now about how foods interact. Have you got some research to share?

Comment

Originally posted by geekgrrl View Post
                      what theory? It's not a monolithic theory, - maybe you're talking about some trendy diet thing from ages ago, I don't know - I'm talking about what we know right now about how foods interact. Have you got some research to share?
                      I am talking about the diet theory of Dr. William Howard Hay started in 1911, which basically states that one can not digest two different protein sources at the same time (i.e., eggs+bacon) or any fat source (oil, butter, etc) combine with a protein source, etc, etc, because the body will not be able secret enzymes needed to digest them sufficiently when combined, etc, etc,. This is just one view within "food combining" realm which basically is the idea that certain foods combine with each offers either a negative or positive impact (I don't deny this by the way).
                      Last edited by Zed; 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgrrl View Post
                        I'm not only asking about blueberries and antioxidants, but foods generally.
                        Fine. Antioxidants is all you mentioned in the OP. Personally I think that's a non-issue. I'd be interested if anyone else had some thoughts on the subject.

And tea is not paleo
                        O RLY? Off the cuff I would say more people around here cut dairy (potentially relevant to the blueberry topic) than give up tea (or even coffee).

If you don't want to bother about it, that's fine. I'm interested and like to know about these things, that's why I'm asking.
                        Take a chill pill. Starting a thread doesn't make a person the absolute dictator of what other people post in it. Conversations evolve, too.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                        "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                        If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

There are causes of oxidative stress above and beyond what you put in your mouth. Off the top of my head pollution and radiation (anyone from japan?) are other factors. Pesticides, fungicides, food additives, etc. can also contribute. Not caring about providing antioxidants to combat oxidative damage should only be done if youre living on a remote island.

@Beachrat, what people on the forum limit or don't really doesn't affect what traditional people drank. That said, while actual tea probably hasn't been consumed by any traditional groups, herbal teas will certainly have been prepared by seeping plants and roots etc in water, as such beverages can be beneficial when fighting disease. Imo actual tea should just be treated the same as any other herb.
                          Last edited by Pandadude; 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I was a fruitarian for some time and I can confirm that food combining is important on that type of a diet. To this day if I eat a piece of fruit and then chow down on some steak or any meat for that matter, my stomach will hurt a lot.

Comment

I did food combining back in the 80's while on Fit For Life diet. Did nothing for me except trash my immune system. So much for retaining antioxidants while separating/combining.

Comment

Working...
                              X