Amazing Grass Green Superfood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Grass Green Superfood

Anyone use this? I am well aware of the myriad benefits of wheatgrass and grasses in general. Is this a good alternative to growing your own wheatgrass and juicing it?

I use a product called "Vital Greens" every morning. It is a powder and is brilliant for enhancing immune function.

Comment

I have the chocolate and berry flavors. I think the chocolate is a little better, even though it in no way really tastes like chocolate. Both are okay if mixed with lots of other stuff. My husband hates them though and finds that nothing hides the taste.

Comment

Originally posted by john_solo View Post
        Anyone use this? I am well aware of the myriad benefits of wheatgrass and grasses in general. Is this a good alternative to growing your own wheatgrass and juicing it?
        You would be better off just juicing some leafy greens.
        Probably nothing wrong with wheat grass per se, but the 'myriad of benefits' and claims that it 'boosts the immune system' is just unsubstantiated marketing hype - to put it politely.

But draw your own conclusions.

Wheatgrass Therapy

Comment

I'm not sure we're meant to eat grass..........?

Comment

I would feed it to a cow, then let it process it for you....then eat the meat.
            Here is where you either smile or laugh.

Comment

+10

Comment

There was however that episode of Sex and the City involving wheatgrass.
                Funny, I always thought it was pineapple juice that had that effect.

...ladies?

Comment

Is wheatgrass baby wheat plants or is it a different species? If it's the "sprouts" or whatever of wheat, then it seems they would most definitely not be a good food since wheat is our number one enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                    Is wheatgrass baby wheat plants or is it a different species? If it's the "sprouts" or whatever of wheat, then it seems they would most definitely not be a good food since wheat is our number one enemy.
                    Wheat grass is in no way, shape or form related to wheat. It is actually classed as a grass. I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it has helped me a great deal to get my energy levels back. Also great while you are suffering from the dreaded 'carb flu', helps you to not feel so darn crappy

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                      Wheat grass is in no way, shape or form related to wheat. It is actually classed as a grass. I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it has helped me a great deal to get my energy levels back. Also great while you are suffering from the dreaded 'carb flu', helps you to not feel so darn crappy
                      I think you'll find it is.
                      But if it makes you feel better, that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                        What I meant to say was that is isn't at all related to the part of the wheat that causes the problems

Please read the following:

"Wheatgrass for Celiacs"

My interest in wheatgrass is recent, stemming from a suggestion by my OB-GYN that taking a daily shot of wheatgrass might help with PMS symptoms during the week before my period arrives. She explained that my body is attempting to detoxify and cleanse itself as one cycle ends and another begins, and that I might want to try assisting the detoxification process.

Of course, this is sort of like telling a kid about an ice cream stand just down the street. The likelihood of me trying out wheatgrass jumped from 0% to 100% in less than one minute... based on even the smallest hope that my OB was right and soon all PMS aches and irritability would be a thing of the past.

Thanks to my gluten intolerance I was a bit wary of taking wheatgrass for the simple (and self-admittedly ignorant) reason that wheatgrass has the word "wheat" in it. Before purchasing my first shot, it was important to me to check with my primary care doctor to make certain that a person with Celiac or gluten intolerance could indeed enjoy wheatgrass with no negative side effects or ramifications.

Luckily, my doctor laughed kindly at me and explained that wheatgrass is a carbohydrate that contains magnesium. He said that there is no gluten in it as the grass top is cut off before juicing and so there is no gluten berry in wheatgrass. He gave me the 100% two thumbs up approval to try wheatgrass and see for myself if it provided benefits. "Won’t hurt ya, might do some good," was the basic response.

Seven days before my period was due, I went to the deli section of my local market and boldly ordered my very first shot of wheatgrass. I drank it on the spot. Delicious, you might ask? Um... Nooooooooooooooooooo. Not really. In fact, it tasted pretty awful thanks to the advice of the girl behind the counter who told me to swish it over my gums and between my teeth for three minutes before swallowing and then not to eat or drink anything for at least an hour. Wow, that was one of the grossest hours I’ve ever had! Not only did my mouth taste awful but I also felt like I would vomit for most of the rest of the day and had one of the rip-roaring headaches of my life.

Given that first experience I almost gave up on the whole wheatgrass experiment. However before throwing in the towel I did some online investigation into “wheatgrass, headaches” and discovered that headaches are a very common detoxification reaction when you begin to take wheatgrass, and that they do get better as the days pass. I also learned online that if you follow up your shot of wheatgrass immediately with a smoothie, you won’t have the same gag reflex or urge to vomit.

So I tried again, and to my joy, almost all of the nasty effects from the day before were gone. No nausea, no stomach upset or desire to puke, and best of all – almost no headache. With every passing day, the wheatgrass had less of a negative effect upon me and I could see more positive results. I definitely found myself feeling more energetic and less achy and stagnant then I typically do so close to the start of a new menstrual cycle. So, overall it was a positive enough experience that I plan to try again this month and see how it goes.

I am not a doctor and I can’t personally guarantee that wheatgrass will make you feel better or help heal you from anything. That said, maybe you should talk to your own physician about the potential benefits of wheatgrass – secure in the knowledge that Celiacs and sufferers of gluten intolerance can choose to enjoy (or not enjoy) a daily shot of wheatgrass just like everyone else.
                        Last edited by TARNIP; 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I know a few people who experienced a drastic clear up in their acne after starting Amazing Grass wheat grass. I consume it about 5 days a week in my whey protein/blueberry/coconut oil/creatine/chia seed smoothie. I think it makes a difference in my health and the way I feel. It sure as hell is not going to hurt.

>I'm not sure we're meant to eat grass..........?

I don't think evolution and ancestral habits that formed out of necessity for survival are the indicators of exactly what we should be consuming and what is ideal for human health today. I buy into the paleo-like diet and lifestyle having great benefits, but the reality is, evolution is far from perfect, and what our ancestors did was what they HAD to do, not necessarily what was optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                            Hey Dave can you prove that wheat grass contains wheat-like grains that have similar to or exactly the same molecular structure as gluten? I'm laughing because you might think that using the name "wheat" means it has wheat gluten in it. I could be wrong, but it's still pretty funny. I believe it grows from a seed of some type of wheat, but I am pretty sure there is absolutely no gluten in it whatsoever.
                            Last edited by morganpmiller; 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X